Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I know mushrooms are good but...

Posted by storey3 NH- Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 20:57

My lawn and some of my beds are loaded with mushrooms. I put down SBM in August and Alfalfa pellets in September, my first grain applications. There are so many clusters of them that I can see them from my third floor attic. Are this many mushrooms still considered to be okay. Should we just mow over them or remove them? Please say mow over, LOL.

FWIW, We've never had any in this area of my lawn before this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I know mushrooms are good but...

Mow over them, but first note if any seem to be growing in a circle. Mushrooms growing in a circle frequently indicate a disease inside the circle.

o
RE: I know mushrooms are good but...

A mushroom isn't an indication of a specific disease, though it may look that way for awhile. It's just a matter of the fungi doing so much decomposing that the grass may end up nitrogen starved for awhile. If you've ever had a fairy ring, you'll notice that the grass gets really DARK green first, as the decomposing is at its peak. The fungi then has to move out further to more fertile ground, leaving hungry grass behind. If any grass actually dies within that ring, it's usually because the fungus organism has been able to build up such a heavy (underground) mat of mycelium that water (etc.) can't penetrate any more.

Please know that the fungus is within the soil, out of sight and out of reach. The mushrooms are merely temporary fruiting bodies, appearing only to disseminate spores. Mowing them rather than raking them up could be like overseeding your lawn with mushroom spores! Unless you can get to them while they are still immature and the spores haven't developed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here