Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buzzsaw8

Help Calculating Fertilizer Program

buzzsaw8
14 years ago

I've got a really small lawn 250 sqft and I'm trying to figure out a fertilizing program/schedule. Because money is tight, and I think the idea is kinda cool anyways, I plan on using urine. Lawn is TTTF.

So here's where I'm at so far, if there's any errors, suggestions, please let me know:

Fescue lawns require 4lbs of N per year @ 1000 sqft. Mine being 250 sqft would require 1lb/year.

I'm working under the assumption that urine is 10% N (I've read it's anywhere from 8% - 12%, so we'll go with the average of the two).

I'm also working under the assumption that urine weighs the same as water, roughly 16oz equals 1 lb.

So to get the required 1lb of N per year, I would need 10 x 16oz of urine, 160oz total.

160oz urine x .10 rate of N = 1lb N

Because urine is going to leach out of the soil quickly and I don't want to burn the lawn, I thought that 10 applications of 16oz of urine in a hose-end sprayer would be my best bet. I'd apply this monthly, except for July and August. I also mulch mow and put down compost in the Spring so that would cover the needed organic material.

Thoughts?

Comments (5)

Sponsored