Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryb_gw

Read This Info You Might All Learn

terryb
17 years ago

Talk is cheap and Education isn't sorry I can backup what I say.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.explore.cornell.edu/scene.cfm?scene=home%20gardening&stop=HG%20%2D%20Lawn%20Care%20Library&view=HG%20%2D%20Lawn%20Care%20Library%20%2D%20Intro

Comments (11)

• terryb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Some of the same principals apply to Organic Lawn Care as the post above.

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

I suppose if you live in the greater Cornell area most of what they suggest would apply. And it should, but that's why it's nice to have an international forum where we can share experiences and learn from things the universities have not looked into (yet???). And I can find you some university studies which contradict Cornell. Who are you going to believe? You may as well believe the hundreds if not thousands of participants here as any one university professor. Peer review is nice but there are some peers who absolutely hate the ground their peers walk on, and they are not afraid to discredit perfectly good research in the name of saving face for their well heeled research sponsors.

• joepyeweed
    17 years ago

So what did we learn... almost everything on that site is very similar to what most organic posters have shared on this forum, with the exception of fertilizer timing. (probably due to general use of synthetic fertilizer?)

• tumblenes
    17 years ago

I did like this from the site:

Healthy lawns provide many benefits:

Lower air conditioning bills. Moisture evaporating from grass leaves helps keep air temperatures cooler.

Here is a link that might be useful: another Cornell site

• terryb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tumblenes, Yes another good link!!!! I also found one from PSU in Pa. that also has some very good info on it. Seems to me that these Universities around the country been on the ball, when it comes to Organic Lawn Care. The main reason I myself got into it is here in Pa. we have so many water wells here. The lawn care really doesn't have to look like someone would have to be a rocket scientist to do the up keep of it. Most of my customers don't care what the lawn looks like but just kept cut and the property is neat when we leave. As my mama use to say one man's thoughts are another man's dream.

• tumblenes
    17 years ago

terryb, are you in the organic lawn care business? Long ago I decided to keep my lawn just a bit nicer than the other lawns near by, most of those are brown now; in case the bank decided to visit. Anyway, I need the exercise.

Too bad that the Amish dont have web sites...

• terryb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

tumblenes,The Organic part is an Organic Solutions Business part of my business that I will be launching come the beginning of 2007. Also it isn't just turf products that we will be dealing with we also have folar sprays and solutions for the Agriculture business also. But it won't be on here. I deal with a manufacture that has been in the business for 30+ years and has sales in 25 countries. At the present time we are building our customer marketing business end of it. A lot of people don't really care what you use on the lawn, that's where we come in and show the difference. My lawn hasn't had anything put on it in the past 20yrs. that I know of except 1 shot of Turf Tea where I showed it on the other post.

• tumblenes
    17 years ago

terryb,
    do you drive around with one of these?

good luck with your business venture

• wheelhorse_of_course
    17 years ago

Question -

I am new to this forum, I have extensive experience in organic horticulture, but not so much in lawns.

Seems to me that laying down a half inch of compost every spring for 10 years would probably solve most lawn problems organically. That plus regualr aeration

What do you folks think? Fire away!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    17 years ago

Actually, 1/4th inch of compost is all you will ever need as long as you feed microbes with protein based grains every few months and you dont do anything that will ruin soil biology like using chemical fungicide,pesticide, hericide, etc. Compost is just too expensive and work to be doing on regular basis. Active aerated compost is a nice alternative at 1/1000th of cost compared to compost plus a lot less physically work. Check out Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfel (available on amazon)

• tumblenes
    17 years ago

second that Teaming with Microbes, very informative.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm