Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claga_gw

Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care

claga
9 years ago

I have made earlier post describing the problems I am having with my lawn; red thread, dollar spot and a lack of color.
I had a lawn service; recently I stopped the service following the last winterizing fertilization.

I live Central Massachusetts (zone 5B)

The lawn consist of Tall fescue and KBG

House faces due north with partial shade both side yards. Front yard only gets mid to late afternoon sun. Backyard full sun.

I have irrigation.

A little more information about my lawn:
It's in a 3-4 year old housing development.
The soil is said to be clay based.
Ph 6.8
We had a late spring the first year we moved into our home the home in 2011.
The builder put in the lawn late because the soil on-site was very wet from heavy snowfall we had that winter, and heavy early spring rains. The loam was spread and hydroseeded in mid May.
I then hired an organic lawn service company, with hopes of trying to improve the soil conditions.

Lawn service technicians notes:
The first application 6/27/2011 organic fertilizer and grub control along with weed treatment.was applied.
The second application 7/28/2011 organic fertilizer was applied to promote greening, build soil, and retain water.
Early fall organic fertilizer applied.
Fall aerated and over-seeded
Late fall organic winterizer fertilizer applied.

I was not happy with the progress of the lawn and switched companies the following spring to a syntheic / organic program which I had for the last three years before ending the service, because of the red thread, dollar spot, and lack of color the lawn had again this year.
In hind-sight maybe I should have given the organic program more time.

Current lawn service notes:
Which they attribute along with the high humidity levels this summer lead to the red thread and dollar spot this year.

There is >1" of thatch, causing a lack of water and nutrient absorption.

Material available at either the local hardware or large box stores are Milorganite, Jonathan Greene organic fertilizers

I also have a Mahoney's Garden Center that advertises organic lawn fertilizers (Jonathan Greene) not sure what else they may have I have never been.

I basically don't know how or when to start with an organic program and what soil preparation (aeration / de-thatching) is needed prior to starting.

Thank You

Comments (12)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Thatch builds up where there is not an active Soil Food Web to digest it. That the soil stays too wet too long tells us that there is a drainage issue.
    Start with a good reliable soil test, UMASS does that for pH and major nutrients, then these simple soil tests may be of some help,
    1) Soil test for organic matter. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. For example, a good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drainsâ too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell, to9 a point. Too much organic matter can be bad as well.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.

From the information provided the soil needs much more organic matter and few "fertilizers" will provide enough. Without addressing, and correcting, the soil issues the lawn will not do well. Also shade appears to be an issue so grasses more tolerant of shade may be needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: UMASS CES

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please see my post with the same "Subject of Posting" tittle on the Lawn Care blog.
    I have provided pictures of my lawn and a little more details.

Please provide an opinion and your thoughts.

Thank You

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front Lawn

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front Lawn Close Uo

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front Lawn Rakings

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back yard lawn

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

back yard close up

• claga
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thatch layer

• maplerbirch
    9 years ago

There are 2 different ideas of thatch in grassy lawns.

The dead grass blades that cover the soil between plants is not a serious thatch issue.

The other thatch issue involve the roots and stems growing above the soil simply feeding on the water and fertilizers as they are applied. The problem with this type pf thatch is more severe because there is very little root growing into the actual soil.

Your last photo just has some grass and a dark spot on my screen, so a caption of what we are looking at would clarify which type of thatch you are concerned with.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

There is a lot of misunderstanding of what lawn thatch is. Lawn thatch is not the accumulated grass clippings, lawn thatch is the accumulated dead grass plants. Lawn thatch accumulates because the Soil Food Web is not active enough to digest it.
    Some lawn thatch (about 1/2 inch) is good, too much can be a problem. To keep lawn thatch under control you need to encourage the Soil Food Web which means maintaining adequate levels of organic matter in the soil.

• maplerbirch
    9 years ago

Dead plants make up the simple thatch that most people think of when they want to dethatch their lawns.
    The serious thatch is made up of living and dead stems and even living roots that have been living on top of the soil.

I agree with kimmsr on the lack of food web activity because most of the time the only place roots get enough air, water and fertilizer is when it is applied to the surface.

This is the type of thatch that created the need for aerators.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Thatch did not create the need for aerators, compacted soils (soils lacking adequate amounts of organic matter) created that need.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus