Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Just about done mulching a season's worth of leaves!

rutgers1
16 years ago

The leaves have been falling fast and furiously lately around here (NJ), and I am happy to say that 99.95% of them have been mulched back into my front lawn. Here are my observations:

1) For the first few weeks, when the leaves were falling slowly and ground temperatures were still high, they seemed to be decomposing within one week's time.

2) It has been going a bit slower in the past few weeks.

3) It rained last week so I didn't mulch mow. So, when I got out there today, the leaves were very deep in one section of my yard. I used my neighbor's Toro Super Recycler mower and went over it twice. This was the first time where you drive by and you can notice that I mulched up the leaves. I still don't think it is heavy enough to harm the grass, though.

Returning the leaves to the turf has been a fun experience, especially when borrowing my neighbor's Super Recycler. That mower is awesome! Every time I do it, I feel like I am fertilizing the lawn, which totally quenches my desire to always be spreading something on it.

Comments (10)

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

I'm still mulching in bags of OPL (other people's leaves) into selected parts of my lawn.

And, I have one stubborn maple that still has 25% of it's leaves still on the tree. So, even though it's in the 30's and 40's here for high temps, I'm still pushing my mower to chop leaves.

I've mulched tons of leaves for many seasons and the visible leaf litter you still see on your lawn will be gone in early spring. When the soil temps go below 50F, organic matter is very slow to be digested by the soil micro herd.

Wait till you see the worm activity in your lawn from the mulched leaves next year.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

I think that mulch mowing leaves provides the same lawn benefits as applying leaf compost. The mulched leaves decompose in place rather than in a compost bin. The main difference is that mulching is much easier than composting then spreading.

It's amazing how many leaves can be mulched into tall, thick grass.

I agree with Iowa, next spring your earthworms will feast on the decomposing leaves.

-Deerslayer

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing those worms. I think my lawn was abused prior to me getting there, as I have yet to find a single worm in my front lawn. I found one in a garden bed and a few back by my compost bin in the back yard - but none where I really want them. So, with organics being new for me, I think I will have to be patient.

• abileneblues
    16 years ago

It seems to me that mulch mowing the leaves would provide more of a benefit than spreading leaf compost.

Am I thinking right? It seems to me that the activity of decomposing the leaves is as needed all over the lawn as the resulting "food" of the decomposed leaves.

I'm trying to think this one through as we're really only just getting started on leaf season here. I've been wondering about creating a huge compost pile of leaves, but decided I'd rather have the herd of decomposers all over the yard as opposed to just one pile.

I have been taking some leaves and creating piles in my dog's past and present mining operations. If she leaves them there, they'll compost in place. If she digs them, at least she'll be spreading them out on the lawn.

• njbeeman
    16 years ago

Having waited for all the leaves to drop and dry out after a wet Thanksgiving, today I mulched all the leaves back into my lawn using my Lawnboy 10323 set a 3" and a Gator mulching blade. I was very impressed with the job this combo did, consistently reducing the leaves to very small particles (smaller than 0.5 cm). What knuckleheads my neighbors are, bagging their leaves and piling them curbside for collection.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

NJBeeman, as a long time proponent of mulch mowing leaves and using Gator mulching blades, I agree with you 100%. However, you'll find that it is much more difficult to convince your neighbors!

-Deerslayer

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can any standard lawnmower take a Gator blade?

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"Can any standard lawnmower take a Gator blade?"

Pretty much.

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

I've been mulching the leaves the last couple of weeks, but major wind this Thanksgiving has put a lot on the ground. Major cleanup today with some in the shredder and some mulch mowed. Also adding urea application today or tomorrow, clean up/service equipment and I think I'm done for the season. Anything else will just have to wait until spring.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Earthworm casting will help speed up earthworm population. Just a bag and just put down handful of casting in random spots. They tend to have eggs in them.

I guess it is like egg-chicken question... which one came first... Earthworms will eventually come from other places but that takes time. I'd just get a big bag of casting and just put handful underneath mulch in various places or into grass in random places. That might be all you will need to kickstart earthworm population.

At least it worked for me as i went from none at all to tens of thousands within 2 years on the land that was completely razed over. Nothing but rocks...

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals