Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Cockadoodledoodoo.....

rutgers1
16 years ago

I have been intrigued by the results I have seen locally from people using chicken "poop" type fertilizers on their lawn. The only stuff available commercially near me is by Cockadoodledoo:

http://www.purebarnyard.com/cockadoodledoo/

It tends to be expensive, so I was wondering if the real stuff is usable. There is a poultry farm near me that lets you take home as much as you want. What is the conventional wisdom here?

Comments (15)

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should also add the followup question.....What about commercially bought composted cow manure? That appears to be cheaper than cockadoodledoodoo, too.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

One of the problems with any raw manure is the spread of pathogens. Here's a link:

Poultry Litter

Commercial manure products normally are heated or composted to kill the pathogens.

Composted cow manure (.25-.15-.25) is very low in NPK. It doesn't make a very good fertilizer but increases organic matter.

-Deerslayer

• kelleynelson
    16 years ago

I picked up several bags for about $5 each when Lowe's was clearing them out last year.

The impact is less than what I have seen from Soy or Corn Gluten meals. Not much increase in top growth. It does give a very nice color, but I have to apply it at a higher rate than the bag indicates.

I still have a couple bags, I'm going to try blending some in with soy meal next year.

Where are you able to get the composted chicken poo?

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, the stuff that is being given away isn't composted. I would have to compost it myself. Don't think I am up for that.

I don't think Lowes is selling the Cockadoodledoo stuff this year. The only organic product I have seen there for lawns is the new Scotts stuff, which I was able to get for 1/2 off last week.

• kelleynelson
    16 years ago

They were selling it so cheap because I think they were not planning to sell it any more.

The only product I have seen other than cockadoodle doo that is locally available is a similar poultry-litter product sold by Lesco under their ecosential brand. It's not priced any better, if memory serves.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I found out why you can't find Cockadoodledoo at Lowes anymore. click here. Apparently Lowes wanted them to pay $350,000 in advertising fees in order to be on the shelves.

• jayt63
    16 years ago

Responding to OP: I have used the original "chicken poop" but it was aged at least a couple of years. It tends to be difficult to apply and even aged, it can easily burn your grass.
    I was able last year to pick up about a dozen bags of cockadoodledo at Lowe's close out sale for about $3.00 a bag. It worked great on my yard and my neighbor's yard (at that price you can afford to be generous).
    This year I picked up a couple of bags of Scott's organic but have not used it yet. (Saving it until spring).
    Another good organic fertilizer with the same general components (except it uses hydrolyzed poultry feather meal, nitrate of soda, potassium sulfate, bone meal and soybean meal is Ringers Lawn Restore from Safers.

• vintageways
    16 years ago

I'm a fan of chicken fertilizer, perhaps more than most here. What I use is pasturized not composted. It is OMRI listed and regional for me. It's called Coop Poop, 4-4-2 10% Ca, the same as Cockadoodle Doo. This seems to be less expensive than other organic fertilizers, minus the feed grains.

Good luck getting poop from the local farm. I did it once and drove down the road with feathers blowing out the top of the 50 gallon drum, not to mention the stench that followed me to my rural compost pile. If you think you are composting this at your urban residence, think again. Your neighbors will thank you!

I like beef compost as a fill for landscaping projects, not so much in the lawn.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Compost, or composted cattle manure, is the most expensive thing you can buy for the garden. As far as I'm concerned it provides a great source of microbes if you have none or think you need to resupply. But it is not a fertilizer. Inasmuch as the microbes have protein in their bodies, that's about all you'll get out of it. There is no readily available protein left for the microbes already in your soil. The cost in my area is $35 per cubic yard plus $40 delivery up to 3 cubic yards. Three cubic yards will cover 3,000 square feet. On the other hand, corn meal costs $4 for 50 pounds and covers up to 5,000 square feet. Compost plus delivery to cover 3,000 square feet costs me $48.33 per 1,000. Corn meal costs me $0.80 per 1,000.

Chicken manure is a different deal. It seems to provide a lot of readily available nitrogen in the form of uric acid (the white stuff). Unless you spread it thin or dilute it in with other finished compost or organic fertilizer (grains), it is hard to apply without problems. I would hope a commercially bagged chicken manure would be in a form that makes it easy to apply. You might look for turkey manure in your searching. There is a product called Doctor (Dr?) Gobbler. Still with any commercially bagged material it will cost you 6x more than buying from a feed store in plain brown bags.

• bryanccfshr
    16 years ago

Medina granular fertilizer is based off of pasteurized Chicken manure, kelp and molasses. 4-2-3 and I score several 40# bags for 5.99 each at a grocery store clearance. Nothing beats cheap.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

I have never seen a bag of Medina granular fertilizer, but I am familiar with their liquid products. Can you please list all the ingredients?

• bryanccfshr
    16 years ago

It is available at Lowe's and even HEB sells it.
    I believe I have seen you comment on it yourself specifically the pasteurizing of the chicken manure.
    I actually think the pasteurizing of chicken manure for general sale is wise considering the safety implications of handling unpasteurized product.

Ingredients:
    Derived from kelp meal, humate, pasteurized poultry manure, molasses, and greensand.
    Analysis:
    Total Nitrogen: 4%

0.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    1.5% Water Soluble Organic Nitrogen
    2.0% Water Insoluble Nitrogen
    2% Available Phosphate (P2O5)
    3% Soluble Potash (K20)
    0.5% Magnesium (Mg)
    2% Calcium (Ca)

• greg_grow
    16 years ago

i use to use cockadooledoo and i think it a great product, but i found a cheaper version called (cheep cheep), i use it on everthing i have such a great lawn from using it.
    cost $17.00 per 50lb bag verses $17.00 for a 20lb bag of cockadoodledoo...greg

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Rutgers, I use this product along with using grains. It's a local company, so I pick it up. It might be a good alterative if you don't mind paying for the shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: OHIO EARTH FOOD

• chutybutyful .
    7 years ago

I live near atlanta and I can't seem to find a source for either Cheep Cheep or Cockadoodle doo. Does your feed store carry it? The large box stores here do not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored