Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cool weather, organics, etc.

Posted by rutgers1 6NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 13:26

I know that the general consensus here is that organics are not best for fall use, and while I agree, I can't help but notice that my leaves (which are mulched by my mower) are decomposing very quickly lately. It appears that the microbes are alive and well in New Jersey despite some cooler weather.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cool weather, organics, etc.

There are microbes that work in cool weather/soil. In the spring often when the snow melts there will be snow mold. That mold is a fungus that thrives with little light and cold temps.

o

As DCHall stated, many microbes continue to function in cooler weather. Snow mold is one of them. However, the microbes that decompose organic fertilizers dramatically reduce their activity when soil temperatures drop below 50F. This occurred in the past few days in NE Illinois.

-Deerslayer

o

Thanks for the responses. Is there a place on the web to get soil temperatures for different parts of the country? I am too lazy to take my lawn's temperature, lol.

o

I remember reading/hearing that soil temp is closely related to AVERAGE night time low temps. Does anyone else recall anything about that? I'm not sure how that can make sense given the differences in moisture and shade.

o

Yes, you can get the soil moisture and temp from the link here. I selected the closest to Rutgers that I saw, but you may want to poke around.

Our soil temperatures at the 2" layer are spiking well above 50 during the day. That's going to flex downward this week as temperatures cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: SCAN Information Mahantango PA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here