Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbobnj

reel mower

bobbobnj
16 years ago

I know there is a mower forum, but it's mostly power mowers. I'm thinking of trying he old walk behind reel push mower. I have an acre, with about 1/2 of it grass. Am I crazy or is it doable? How long?

Anyone here push their mower?

Comments (7)

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

If you are training for a marathon, go for it...otherwise???

I mowed a half acre of grass as a kid with a gas rotary mower and thought it was work. I have a garden tractor now. I suppose it depends on how you feel about exercise.

-Deerslayer

• decklap
    16 years ago

1/2 an acre is an awful lot of area for a reel
    mower to handler. I use a reel mower on a much
    smaller area and I have to go over it twice to
    get a nice fairly even looking cut and invariably
    at some point in the season the grass just gets
    too thick and I switch back to a gas mower.
    Reel mowers are much more pleasant to use
    than gas mowers but I don't know if it'd
    be worth it on that much grass.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

That is a lot of grass to push through. The people who push their reels really do love their results, though. Have you considered building a patio, deck, pathways, gazebo, arbor, flower garden, zen garden, hedges, etc.?

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

Am I crazy or is it doable?

Yes you are crazy if you think you can do this.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

For those who have compared the two, what is the difference (in terms of effort) between a reel mower and a cheaper push mower that doesn't move on its own?

I use a cheap Weed Eater mower I got from Home Depot. It doesn't push itself or anything like that. I don't find it too difficult at all. In fact, I like the fact that I am getting a bit of exercise. I have used a mower that pushes itself and haven't found it all that much easier.

• gbig2
    16 years ago

I mow about 15,000 sq ft with a Scott's 20" reel mower. It's not crazy if you have the time and want a lot of exercise. I'm not one who can consistently exercise by using a treadmill, etc., it's too boring. So I "mowercise" for about 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I divide the lawn in sections and mow a section each day, about a three day rotation. It will not mow high grass or weeds so you need to stay after it. It's also nice to get a chore done and get some exercise at the same time. Occasionally I get lazy and let things go and have to use the power mower to catch up.
    Rutgers, I have used both a push mower and the reel. If a reel is setup properly (sharp and calibrated) it is not hard to push. Plus you're pushing 30 lbs vs 80 lbs or more with a power mower.
    They even make reel mowers with extra weights on the handles for even more exercise if you're really nuts. :)
    These guys are right though bobbob, for half an acre, moving at a quick pace, you're looking at 20-30 minutes a day, 1.5 -2 hours a week. Great exercise though.

• bobbobnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just took the Scott's 20" reel mower out of my Amazon cart. Thanks for all the input.

I would kind of like to see my neighbors' expressions when they saw me pushing a reel mower. They're not big on mowerciseing.

Sponsored