Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobbitmom

ringers in winter

hobbitmom
17 years ago

Hi It finally got dry enough to mow my lawn. Its still green, so Im wondering if I should apply the two bags of Ringers I have in my garage or wait until spring. Temps are 50's am, 30's pm. Also, can this Ringers 10-2-6 burn my lawn if I dont apply it perfectly??? Thank you.

Comments (6)

• bpgreen
    17 years ago

It is advertized as non burning, but I suspect that's with the caveat "when used as directed" as is most often the case. If you apply it too heavily, I think it could burn the lawn.

Whether you should apply both bags or not depends on the size of your lawn. The goal is to apply a pound of actual nitrogen per 1000 sq ft of lawn. So, for example, if each bag is 25 lbs, since the N is 10%, a bag has 2.5 lbs, or enough for 2500 sq ft.

Since the grass is still green, it's still photosynthesizing, so you can still apply fertilizer. A late fall (for most of us, apparently early winter for you) application of nitrogen will help the roots grow. When the top growth has stopped (or at least slowed to nearly nothing), the grass stores all the energy it is producing in the roots. Since I've started applying a dose of high nitrogen in the late fall, my lawn often stays green through the entire winter. When it does go dormant, it is only for a short time and comes out of dormancy long before my neighbors' lawns.

• terryb
    17 years ago

hobbitmom, Recommended application is two times in the spring and two times in the fall. And since it is both a quick release and slow release Nitrogen product I see no problem spreading it now. Also the slow release will continue to feed for up to 8 weeks.

• terryb
    17 years ago

hobbittmom, Are you aware of a company in the pnw by the name of pacificcalcium? They are a manufacture of organic products also. They have a product called 9-3-4 all purpose that is formulated for the wet conditions that you go through in your area. Just giving you this information you might want to check out the website. It just might be a better suited product for the area which you reside.

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

Maybe it's different for y'all but down here, if we leave organic fertilizer in the garage over the winter, by spring we have half a bag of fertilizer and half a bag of bugs (eggs, larvae, pupa, and adults). It's pretty nasty (but I still use it).

I try to use it all up before everything is dormant. But even if everything is dormant, the fertilizer is good on the ground where any living bugs are.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I'd not apply it now - I'd wait until late winter or early spring when soil temperatures start to warm. Right now, soil temperatures are low enough that the bulk of soil microbes are not active and for organic fertilizer to be converted into a form plant roots (and that includes turf grasses) can access, it needs the activities of the soil organisms. Applying it now is likely just to be a waste of the product as our heavy winter rains will dissolve and leach it down into the soil beyond where it will be helpful once the soil critters wake back up. Generally, the late fall/winter fertilizing in the NW is recommended in October or at the latest, mid November.

You really don't achieve any benefit from fertilizing this late in the season in this area.

• hobbitmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thank you all. I did chicken out, and I will wait. The bags have not been opened, so they should be OK in my garage. It stays dry.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH