Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whistlingdixie_gw

A Plant Swap in Ark.

whistlingdixie
19 years ago

I been lurking here for a while. And I think i'm ready to take the plunge and do some trading. What can you tell me about plant swaps. Someone here in Ark is having one in May and I want to know what I need to do. If I don't have plants how do I trade.

Are yall going. It will be in Jonesboro. I live in Bay close to there. Would it be rude for me to ask to meet the lady before the swap. I don't have any friends that garden and I don't know much about gardening. Could I still go just to meet everyone.

Dixie

Comments (16)

• bigred
    19 years ago

I'm having a swap May 21 and someone else is but darn if I can remember who.

We don't limit our swap to just plants and seeds but also allow anything garden related such as magazines,books,garden art,houseplants,jewelry,etc. Nothing has to be new but in good shape and usable.Last year someone brought a trunkfull of nursery buckets(pots) in various size. They were one of the most wanted items and there was some serious horse trading going on for them.I wanted them but being one of the sponsors I was busy and didn't get the chance to get in on the trading....DARN!

PP

• southerngurl
    19 years ago

Where at?

• ellenh
    19 years ago

Hey, I'm from Jersey, but I can help you here. I'm friend's with the lady who's having the swap in Jonesboro in May. Don't be shy, it's open to everyone! I'm even travelling from Jersey to go. There's people coming from as far as Texas too. Look at my link below to get more info. Bring friends too!! It's on the weekend of May 21-May 22. Email me if you have any questions.

Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant swap Jonesboro May 21-22

• redhotflowermama
    19 years ago

Would like to know who this person is that is having the swap in Jonesboro. Judy

• ellenh
    19 years ago

The person hosting the swap is NancyAnn who used to refer to herself as GardenGhost here. She feels like the name GardenGhost doesn't suit her anymore so now she is "The Butterfly Ranch". Hence the plant swap has the silly, fun name of the The Butterfly Ranch Convention.

Since she has a lot of old friends here, I figured that I would let you all know about it. I know that she wants everyone to come and bring friends too. The more the merrier. The link that I posted is her web page detailing information about the convention.

Ellen

• bigred
    19 years ago

Looks like everybody's heading to Nancy's but for anyone that's interested,the May 21 swap here in Ark. will be here at my house outside Ashdown,Ark on Jack's Isle, Millwood Lake. Ashdown's located apx 20 miles north(71 Hwy.) of Texarkana.

PP

• deafblossom
    19 years ago

Oh Bigred.. Don't be discourage about that! Maybe everyone will going over your Plant Swap Party!

Yep.. That is Casper's party in Jonesboro..

Kat

• ellenh
    19 years ago

How far are you from Jonesboro? Is it feasible to do both??? Casper's party date was dictated by the Master Gardener's Garden Tour that we're all going to so she wouldn't want to change it. It was originally scheduled for June, but they moved it to May to beat the heat and humidity.

Ellen

• southerngurl
    19 years ago

Man, both of those are quite a drive. I am in Marion county.

• redhotflowermama
    19 years ago

They both are to far of a drive for me so will be staying home and hoping that some one will post pictures and let us all know how things went. Judy

• whistlingdixie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your responses. I think I will go and see what it is all about. Maybe I will see some of you there.

Dixie

• oakleif
    19 years ago

I'll be going to Big Reds for the spring swap. Last year I went to the MO swap and had the best time. But this year i want to go to BIG Reds. She always has a lot of fun things
    to do and from her posts i can tell she's a fun person to be with. Hope to see you there.
    Vickie

• whistlingdixie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'd like to meet Big Red too, but I won't be able to this year. So I'll try this Jonesboro swap and see how it goes. I guess I better get busy and find something to swap. The website says it doesn't have to be garden stuff. I have lots of "things". So maybe I have soemthing someone will want.

• Dori_NE_Oklahoma
    19 years ago

Wish I could make this one too, but I will be leaving to go to Portland that weekend. Maybe next year? :-(
    DOri

• whistlingdixie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

NancyAnn's plant swap is coming up! Less than 6 weeks away. She has set up a website with information about the swap and the events for days before the swap. The dates are May 20 to May 22.

It looks like a big turnout, maybe 35 people coming. I'll be there early to help set everything up. Are y'all coming? Here's a link with all the info.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Butterfly Convention

• whistlingdixie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The Jonesboro party starts in about a week. Nancy said it keeps growing, and there's a special surprise for the party too, but she's not saying what. Everyone bring your cameras so we can get lots of pictures. Her place is really pretty with many of her plants blooming. Maybe it will cool off a little for the party. It's about 90 here today.

Dixie