Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedsonshirt

Baker Creek Feb. Festival?

seedsonshirt
15 years ago

The date for Baker Creek's 2009 monthly Heritage Days festivals should be posted soon. If there's one in February, will anyone near Mountain Home be going? I could use a ride. They normally have $1.00 a pack seed sales for in-store customers during the festivals...

Comments (13)

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

john- how far to baker creek from mountain home?

william

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Hope you both get to go.
    John - have you been to their festivals before? I think the catalog said they will have rare chickens on display and my kids might like to see those.
    If anyone has their catalog in hand by the way, please tell me if the two birds on the last page at the bottom are chickens.

Here's the Google Map for Mansfield. You may need to zoom out to see Mountain Home (click on the minus sign on the left) and the bubble in the middle of the map has a link for directions. Click on "to here" and put in the name of your city as the start address. That will show the number of miles too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google map - Mansfield

• seedsonshirt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As the crow flies, it's not that far. But as we in the Ozarks all know, these roads are twisty-curvy... The last stretch is slow going on a dirt road. So in the past it has taken me just over two hours to get there. Call it two hours and fifteen minutes.

I have been to the festivals a few times. I was even a speaker once. In the warmer months, they have a great diversity of vendors selling plants of all sorts, organic fertilizers and products, and the like. I'm not so sure what to expect in February, IF they have a monthly festival then - still waiting on the schedule to be released. I suppose I should call and pester them.

William, whether we make it to Baker Creek or not, we should get together some time and see each other's gardens.

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

The 2009 catalog shows a festival Feb 1 and March 1.

Christie, I wondered about the birds too. They don't look like chickens to me. The one on the left looks like a pheasant and the one on the right like a pigeon. But that's a guess as I'm not a poultry expert.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

john- you are welcome here at anytime. i have only 4 raised beds for vegtables. not much to see. think i met you once in norfork at the seed shack. didn't realize it till i visited your blog.

william

• seedsonshirt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mullberryknob - thanks for the info. I haven't recieved a new catalog yet. Feb. 1 is on a Sunday.

William - Really? That's very interesting. Hope to see you again. I wonder if there's anything about our visit that would trigger my memory in the meantime?

I have a semi formal layout, but it amounts to about 17 4'x20' raised beds, some not so raised...

• ozarkgirl
    15 years ago

Does anyone have a web site for this catalog you folks are talking about??

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Hi Ozarkgirl
    The website for Baker Creek is rareseeds.com
    You should be able to click on the link below to go straight to it. Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Also, try wwwidigmygarden.com good forum from B/C

• gldno1
    15 years ago

ceresone, I joined that forum some time back and keep forgetting to check in....will do that today.

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

They normally have $1.00 a pack seed sales for in-store customers during the festivals...

That changed as of last year's primary spring festival.
    Seeds were full price. And I've attended twice a year since 2002.

• seedsonshirt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for that update, violet. I didn't know that.

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

No problem. I suppose it was only a matter of time...

But they're reliable and really try to do their best to track down heirloom varieties and make them available to us. They're good people.

If you don't need huge quantities of seed, it would be best to trade with other heirloom growers in the Seed Exchange forum. Many of them trade extra Baker Creek Seed Varieties.

Sponsored
Rosete Hardscapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Richmond, VA Professional Design-Build Firm Specializing in Hardscape