Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladycraft

Peggiewho

ladycraft
14 years ago

I see you want to start plants from seeds. Have you thought about winter sowing? I started doing that last yr and had great success. Kathy

Comments (8)

• peggiewho
    14 years ago

Yes I am interested in winter sowing. I read about it a bit last year and saved containers but didn't try it. Today I have been looking around stores for seeds that I'd like to try. So far I have just picked out 'Fruit Smoothie zinnias, celosia and a few vegetables. I saw a wonderful bed of tall zinnias and 'Wave Petunias' last year I have to try. The foliage on the zinnias was perfect. I would like to have more perennials like scabiosa and pink echinacea which should have been started last fall. Lowe's guy said they would put the seed display out this week. I have a couple more stores to try before I order on line. I am forming the plan and then I'll figure out how and when to get them started. I still plan to buy some plants. But I think most anything in a milk jug would likely grew here now. Geezz>>> posting is kind of like dieting, once you tell others it becomes a firmer commitment! I have a gallon of milk in the fridge that is almost gone and a few containers in the attic. What are your plans? Do you have a plan in a jug?

• ladycraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I probably have some seeds I could pass on to you if you want. I don't get on much at home unless I'm expecting an email. I work at a fitness center and start at 5am. So I have time to check out all the forums. Let me know if you would like some and I will check to see what I have. You can email me. I had great success last year. Haven't done anything this year yet. Checked to see when I started last year and looks like it was Feb. Kathy

• helenh
    14 years ago

Too much thinking and organization for me. It is too late for collecting milk jugs. Get the cheapest brand plastic clear containers from Wal mart and make neat holes in top and bottom. Throw in old seeds and those seeds in your shop. Use good potting soil moistened and put where you don't have to look at it. Sometime when you think of it look in there and there might be plants. Then plan what to do with them.

• peggiewho
    14 years ago

Wow, 5 am to be there on sight in those temperatures. That is about the time I try to find the coffee pot. Thanks for the offer of seeds but I think I am good. A less organizing sister sent me an interesting seed collection in an envelop. I do have some old seed in the shop. I have some Styrofoam trays from buying mushrooms to get started. I don't think I have to have lids, just put it all in the greenhouse. I'll start this weekend!

• ladycraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not sure I'm entergetic enough to get started this weekend. I put the jugs on the deck and I would have to clear the snow off. I'm hoping it will melt soon. I was thinking maybe I should go look at seed racks. As if I need more! Have a great weekend. Kathy

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I just wanted to welcome you Peggiewho. Glad you decided to join in.
    Good luck with your seed starting. : )

• peggiewho
    14 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been to your page, do you sleep? Four kids and 10 acres! You have a great picture on your members page. I have loaded a picture in a message on the forum but can't get one on my members page. Is it done differently?

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I think it would be the same but I put that on there so long ago I don't remember how I did it. Photobucket makes changes once in awhile and it confuses me. lol

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting