Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladycraft

wow it is snowing now

ladycraft
13 years ago

And I was brave enough to go to work. Think I should of stayed home. It's really coming down.

Comments (6)

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

You ARE brave! Maybe you can go home early today -- take good care, Ladycraft-

Where I live we got about three inches and the snow has stopped falling. It feels awfully cold to me, as well. I have many birds in the back yard -- stuffing themselves on the "buffet." Poor little things - I'm going to be thinking of them in tonight's bitter cold. I do wonder how they survive -
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

My goodness - the windchill is lower now than it was this morning, barely above zero! I'm happily staying in today. I was very relieved when they cancelled school. Hubby said the roads were awful and saw a couple cars in the ditch on his way to work.
    I've been putting out birdseed too. The snow makes them hungry. Last year I bought bags of birdseed that had cracked corn in it at Dollar General but I haven't looked for it this year. The cardinals seem to like it. Wish I had some today.

• helenh
    13 years ago

It looks like three or so inches here. I don't have any bird seed but I do have lots of suet. I need to put all that I have out. I read an article in the paper that said table scraps - bread - is good for energy for birds. I always thought it was like junk food for them. I may get some old stuff out of my freezer for them. The article also said dog food was good for quick energy for them when it is cold. They already steal that.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Helen, how do you do the suet thing? And is suet just fat? I made stew with a nice piece of chuck yesterday and cut the obvious fat off. Thought about giving it to "my" birds, but just don't know if you should get every scrap of meat off and what you put it on/in for them. My dog is in that yard as well so I couldn't put it where she would get to it. Do tell -- in a wire feeder from W-M perhaps? I had a lot of fat. Threw it away, but could probably retrieve it with this cold.
    Sunny

• helenh
    13 years ago

I buy the suet, Sunny. Atwood's had some on sale so I have several squares of it. The woodpeckers like it. There are a few seeds in it but the fat is concentrated calories. If you put it where dogs get it they will eat it. The stuff out of my freezer will be bread. Also the date on my picture of Honey is today. That is so annoying that my camera date has to be checked all the time. I like that feature except when it is wrong. My mother did once put the end of a roast in a tree and got a red tailed hawk which the other birds didn't like at all.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Christie, I have been buying hen scratch at the Ash Grove MFA for the birds. The larger ones are eating it well. I am out of smaller seeds and completely forgot to check for them when we shopped before the snow....back on the list again.

I had the processor save the beef fat/tallow when we butchered last and rendered it out like lard and then mix it up with seeds and various things and make my own blocks for the replacements in those little green cages. They are eating them, but slowly. I did see some smaller birds on it, so at least they are getting something. There are some smaller seeds in the hen scratch, but mostly it is cracked corn.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm