Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Does Armadillo Damage Look Like?

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 8:02

I can't believe it, but we were out raking the yard yesterday and cleaning up lots of debris from our lovely Siberian Elms. Our yard was full of small mounds of loose dirt. I didn't find runs beneath. I did see some normal mole runs but not near these mounds. They were about 12 inches in dia and height. My neighbor thinks it is armadillos....I don't know, but I have decided it is not moles.

I found lots of perennials coming up and jonquils. I tried to mound some of the leaves over them; hoping they won't get completely killed back by a hard freeze. I hate this weather!
Today we will haul off the limbs or I will chop them. I still have a few bags of shredded leaves to spread and will try to get that done. I give up waiting for a hard freeze to do it.

It did give me gardening fever though.

I have received tons of catalogs; lots of fun looking them over.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Does Armadillo Damage Look Like?

Gld, armadillos don't make mounds, they make holes....and many of them! In our yard they are generally about 3 inches deep and close to that wide also. If they incounter food (grubs, ants, etc.) the holes and diggings may run together! They are rather like hogs rooting!
Here is a picture I took of one in our yard a few years ago:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o
RE: What Does Armadillo Damage Look Like?

Thanks Marian. I didn't really think a rooting animal has made the hills.....maybe moles???

I remember the first time I saw an armadillo a few years ago. I was coming back from the mailbox and one was standing up in the yard; I did a double-take and for a moment it didn't register what on earth it was! He stayed around a day or two and then disappeared. Weird little critter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here