Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What salvias grow wild around the Ozarks?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 8:20

I found this growing back in our hayfield last May but forgot about the photos until I was looking through them recently. I posted in the Name That Plant forum and one person replied that it might be salvia lyrata. There were several plants all growing close to one another.
I'm going to try posting thumbnails but couldn't get them to work last time I tried.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What salvias grow wild around the Ozarks?

I have never seen a salvia growing in the wild. That sure is what it looks like. My Missouri Wildflowers doesn't list any in the index.

o

Salvia lyrata

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Lyrata

o

Thank you Beerhog. : )
I checked the Grownative site and it didn't list any salvias either so I thought I might have something unusual but I guess not.
I do think it had time to go to seed so I hope it's not going to be a problem. I couldn't find anything about it being toxic to cattle. Maybe the hummingbirds will use it.

o

This one doesn't look like yours, but it is shown in my book to grow in your area. S. azurea is palatable and nutritious for all classes of livestock especially in spring according to Steyermark. Yours is closely related so I doubt it would hurt livestock. The only salvias shown in my book are lyrata, azurea, reflexa, and (sclarea escaped from cultivation near St. Louis). This is from my 1725 paged book Flora of Missouri. This one below looks very nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia azurea

o
your salvia

I couldn't get the link but Dave's G. has positive things to say about your salvia.

o

That's a big book Helen! I should see if they have that at the library. (maybe reference)
I really like salvias. There are many plants that bloom so long and require so little water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here