Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Wintery Mix forecast

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

Hoping we don't get a lot of ice Monday night and Tuesday.

It doesn't take much to knock out our internet.

I hadn't seen how cold it's supposed to get until I looked at the forecast this morning. NOAA says 8 for Tuesday night 4 below for Wednesday night. brrrr If anyone looses power, it's going to be pretty chilly. Crossing my fingers that all the ice and snow will be north of us.

Comments (39)

• helenh
    13 years ago

Honey has an appointment for surgery Tues. and I think I will call and postpone it. I have my wood stove and I will fill the bathtub with water. I am also crossing my fingers for no ice.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I thought Ron Hearst said last week that he thought all the bad winter weather was over! Wonder what he will tell us next.

I am still fighting with some sites on the internet....can't get on Allrecipes.com. I have to jump through hoops to sign in here. I am getting a little frustrated.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Poor Ron Hearst. lol I'd hate to be a weatherman in the Ozarks. If there was one that was right most of the time, I'd watch that station but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Right now there's 6 to 12 inches forecast for my area. We have a long driveway so I'm hoping it's closer to 6 than 12. I'd rather have a foot of snow than an inch of ice though.

Glenda you must be ready to chuck that computer out into your field. I would be. Hope you don't though. I really enjoy talking with you on this forum.
    Helen - I think you're wise to stay home. I'm going to too if I can. Surely they'll call off school Tuesday.
    Make sure you have a place for your pets to come in out of the cold everyone. We may dip to 10 below. I have a few plants that won't like temps that low. Hope the snow cover will help.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I will be rearranging dog beds today. I am thinking of adding a light bulb for heat. Annie is the only one I would want inside over night. The cats have a light bulb in the barn that I will turn on today so I don't have to walk in ice or snow later. I canceled Honey's appointment so he continues to be a macho guy. Glenda check your e mail please.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Would you believe yesterday, the computer woke up in a new world! and a better world.

I can log on at all sites and can even get Allrecipes.com.
    I don't have a clue what happened to cause the improvement. I am still running Adblock Plus with the filter and Windows Firewall is running.

Well, the storm hit here around 1:30 AM; it is still that very fine mix of sleet and snow.

Poor Ron, is this the worst that was over for us? I notice he has never mentioned that remark nor have his workmates.

Temperature has dropped since I got up around 3:30AM.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I still have internet this morning! We've gotten some sleet but no ice really. We're supposed to get over a foot of snow but I don't know how much over. They've lowered our low to 12 below on ky3's weather.
    Helen - you're gonna have to bring Honey in. Sorry lol We got tired of our dogs barking at night (and the neighbor commented) so we started bringing them in and putting them in carriers to sleep. They're quiet all night long and no messes. Jackson gets to sleep on my daughters bed because he's house trained. The other two would pee on the carpet though. The carriers work great.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Kinda glad to see all this snow even tho things are at a standstill. If it's going to get that cold we need the snow cover to protect the gardens, especially all those zoone 6-7 plants that are suddenly in zone 5.

Supposed to take our cat in this morning for shots but had to cancel that, can't get out of the driveway.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I guess I will have to get the big crate out of the barn and let him come in. He is too short for the snow.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Well, good. I was hoping you'd change your mind, Helen.

I'm praying that none of us loses power! Stay safe, everyone and I hope all pets are inside for the next few days/nights. "My" birds are busy at the feeders -- they need the calories to get through this.
    Sunny

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I couldn't log in until I disabled AdBlock plus! It is always some little thing with GW. I wish they would get their act together. It is not my computer!

Helen, that picture of Honey is just adorable. I think he has become your favorite.

Our dog refuses to come inside....he can bury himself in straw back in the barn so I hope he does. He has a very thick coat of fur. I think the vet says he has a double coat being part retriever.

From snowstorm of 2011

Well, we ended up with 12-15 inches of the beautiful fluffy stuff. It made getting to the chicken house very strenuous!
    Some drifts were over 24 inches deep. I got my Muck boots in the nick of time. I will try to do some shoveling today. I won't let DH touch a snow shovel.

• helenh
    13 years ago

That looks like a winter dog. I'll bet he is warm buried in the straw. He looks like a good farm dog. My big boys came in last night and were perfect. They slept all night and not a peep from them. Honey hated the crate so he was loose. He chewed the thumb off a glove, found a sock, took a marble out of a pot of cactus and put it in the living room and moved my shoes. It was negative 3 by my thermometer on the outside of the house. I'll bet it was colder than that because the house might make it read warmer.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Just be glad that is all he chewed. Mom's dog chewed the corner off her couch one night. I think he was still in the puppy stage then.

We were - 9 at 5:30 this morning I haven't been outside yet but am heading out at 4 to do some more shoveling.

• helenh
    13 years ago

Be careful. I am sure you are in good shape, but there are several reports here of heart attacks from snow shoveling. Just take it easy. Tell your husband check on you every few minutes. It wasn't bad in the sun yesterday in the middle of the day but I think I ruined my camera. On another forum they have a snow rant. We have it easy. People in New York have three feet that remains all winter with thread of a flood when it thaws.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think we got around a foot of snow. It's hard to tell, the way it drifted. I haven't tried to get down our driveway yet but my hubby made it out. We had to do a lot of shoveling. My kids made an igloo.
    Honey is so cute. I think I would have trouble scolding her with a face like that.
    My dogs have been inside a lot. Sometimes it's hard to get them to go out. They have to be bribed with a treat.
    I think your dog must be warm Glenda or he'd be wanting in.
    Here's Shasta, my oldest dog:

Jackson who puts his face down into the snow on purpose.

and Chloe - This dog never quits moving so it's hard to get a good picture of her. She's the smallest so we put a coat on her to go out when it's this cold.

• helenh
    13 years ago

Now those are sweet faces. I saw the opossum first and there is no comparison. Christie you have a soft heart; not everyone see a sweet face on a possum. The snow plow left a huge ridge at the end of my drive way. I may put fertilizer on it because it will take forever to melt. Honey is a boy. I named him for the color and he not a very tough guy so Honey fits him. Glenda he is not my favorite just my only kid. The others are old folks like me and not funny. We have another cold night and a cold forecast for early next week. When it finally thaws and we are back to normal averages, we will think it is spring.

• missfourseasons
    13 years ago

I haven't been around for a while but thought I would check in to see how everyone is doing and I am glad to see you are all as lively as you ever were. Love all the dog pictures! Would post one of mine but it's been so long since I checked in I forgot how to post pictures ...

Stay warm all ... Wish I were there to share in the exciting weather. I miss it!!

• helenh
    13 years ago

Just put its picture in Photobucket and copy it and paste it here.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Hello Missfourseasons! You should've come to visit for this snowstorm. You might have been cured of your desire for snow. lol There's a little too much.

Oops Sorry I called Honey a her Helen. Honey works for a boy name. I just forgot.

Kind of depressing to get more snow yesterday.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Missfourseasons you have to copy the HTML code from photobucket and paste it in your message here.

We got an additional 9-10 inches here yesterday. Vehicles in ditches everywhere.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

taz, I wondered about you Arkansans...my aunt south of me (north of Springfield) got another 5 inches. Sorry about that; we just another 2.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I don't mind when it just sticks for a couple days. Tuesday through thursday was bad because of the brutally cold temps. It's melting off nicely today but expecting more tonight that will probably be on the ground till tuesday. My FWD saturn gets around in it pretty good. If it gets too bad I'll put chains on it but haven't had to yet, even with the solid ice thursday morning I made it to a Dr apt w/o them. Normally it would have been a 15 minute drive but I took 30 to be safe. The best thing about it was there wasn't many other cars out so I could take the whole road most of the way. lol!

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Ok now I mind! I'll be stuck for several days now. Good thing I went shopping yesterday. Here's a picture of my car...well what little you can see of it.

• helenh
    13 years ago

It makes you wonder if it will ever stop. Our average high for this date is 47 and after the 18 th the average highs are 50. That will seem like spring if the snow will melt. We can't warm up with all this reflection.

• sweetwm007
    13 years ago

we received about 9 inches here. a friend i called in siloam springs said they had about 15 inches.
    ah, the sunny south.

william

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

My son in Rogers said they had 22". I think we got about 5" in Joplin. Sun is shinging now tho, and the snow that is still falling a little looks like glitter in the sunshine. Pretty!

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't imagine how they are getting around in Arkansas with such a deep snow. The roads must be terrible. Rogers and Springdale got hit hard. I heard reports of 25 inches and we thought that must include the snow from last week but I guess not. Wow! They need some warm weather. Is your son snowed in Mosswitch?

• helenh
    13 years ago

Those houses up in the hills around Bella Vista would be hard to get to. There are lots of older folks there and I always wonder about that and the steep terrain. I think I formed that opinion years ago and now I'm an older folk and I get around pretty well.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Yes I think so. They live on a cul-de-sac, so probably won't get plowed for a while. As of yesterday, they weren't going anywhere!

Sandy

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I'm in Springdale. The business owner across the street is stuck at the bottom of his driveway in a 4X4. Not a good place to be if the plow heads this way. He doesn't seem in a hurry to move it either. I'm gonna start digging and hope it warms up. It's supposed to get in the upper 40's on saturday so maybe I'll be good to go by then??

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We've had quite a bit of melting here today even though it's cold. The sun makes a big difference. The roads are in much better shape. Taz - If you don't have to get out until Monday, I think most of it will be gone by then. It's going to be very warm this weekend and sunny.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

A city plow made 2 passes on my road about 3 hours ago. Since then the road is melting off nicely and I've dug out half my driveway. Sciatica and a fusion doesn't make this easy. I'll finish it tomorrow if I'm not bedridden! I wish the sun would do it but 24" is a lot of snow and there's a 3 foot wall next to the road now. Can't wait till next week when temps will be in the 60's.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I have a two foot lump at the end of my driveway. I am putting ashes on it and some fertilizer I had. Taz I hope you are not digging out that three feet with sciatica and a fusion. Wait until it melts.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I have been trying to get on again.....

We got out to do errands yesterday and saw piles in parking lots that will be here until spring!

Taz, take it easy with the digging. I have been doing a lot of that with no bad results, but I don't have a back problem!

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Well I've been in bed all day but managed to finish digging and get to the store yesterday. Next time I'll prepare a little better and wait it out. Had a 4x4 the last time it got that deep.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to hear you made it out Taz. Hope your back recovers soon. I try to stay stocked up in the winter but there's always something I need when it snows.
    Joe Bastardi on Accuweather.com thinks we've entered a new colder weather pattern for a few years because of the La Nina current in the Pacific. If he's right, next winter will be colder than this one. Someone posted this article in the trees forum. I may have to quit buying zone 7 plants. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Bastardi: Three of Next Five Winters Could Be as Cold or Colder

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Christie, I was thinking the same thing. Did you know we should consider ourselves as northern Missouri zone for planting...because of our elevation.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've read that too Glenda. Isn't that unfair! lol
    If it's going to be colder for a few years, I wish we would at least stop getting late frosts after everything is blooming. I was looking at the forecast this morning - above average temperatures for the next two weeks. I'm happy about the warmer temps but we'll pay for it later. We almost always do.

• helenh
    13 years ago

No one else thinks that is a funny last name for a weatherman?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I think it's funny. I can see ppl calling him Jew and leaving out the i in the last name.
    No offence intended to our Jewish friends!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz