Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Salad mix seed packets

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I checked out the seeds at Lowe's this week. They had four or five different salad mix and lettuce mix seed packets. I've never grown lettuce so I don't know if getting a mix was a good idea but they just looked so healthy. lol

I bought two packets. One says Mesclun Sweet Salad Mix and contains Bull's Blood Beet, Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach, Red Salad Bowl Lettuce, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce and Tendergreen Mustard.

The other packet says All Season Butterhead Mix and contains six kinds of lettuce: Four Seasons, Arctic King, Bibb, Buttercrunch, Matchless and North Pole.

I don't know a thing about growing lettuce or other greens, so tips are welcome. I was thinking about trying some of it in a container on my balcony. It would take the slugs and cut worms a little longer to find it there I hope. Actually, I don't know what the more common pests are in our area but when I grew Kohlrabi last spring, something fed on the leaves fairly heavily.

I'm really not set up to start seeds indoors so I need tips on when and how to start them outside.

Comments (5)

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Well Christie, I really don't remember much about planting lettuce. How ever I will be in the same boat come spring. that is one item I plan on planting in succession. I have marked my calendar so I will remember to replant some of the veggies ever other week so I will have what I want through out the year instead of all at once an then none. I don't know if that makes since?
    But I do know about slugs... yuck.
    I use egg shells. Every time I use an egg I rinse the shells out really well. Then leave them in the sink to dry out a bit. Then I crunch them up in my hand as I drop them into a zip lock freezer bag. Don't crush them up until they are pulverized or they don't seem to do as much goo (tried that). Then when I plant things the slugs like I spread them all around the base of the plant pretty thick. I also pull the mulch back on my hosta plants in very early spring even when it is still very cold out side. I than put a LOT of shells all around every plant and then lay the mulch back according to the weather. It helps to kill them when they are just starting out in spring and seems to get rid of the over winter nesters. My hosta beds are getting to where I get very few slug holes in them any more.
    Buy the way the reason I rinse them well is because I tries using ones that had not been rinsed well. They attract birds. Not the kind you want. They come in a up root every thing to get the shells. : ) The reason to keep them in the freezer until ready to use in the spring is to have a lot for your use at one time an because even washed off they will begin to smell before spring : )
    I hope some one has good information on the actual growing of lettuce. I remember reading in the thread earlier, some about how to. I will se if I can find it an bump it up.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

The old timers used to always dump their wood ashes over the lettuce bed, and then plant on Valentine's Day. If I can remember I want to do a trial of that early.

You can plant as soon as the ground can be worked, a frost won't hurt them. I plant in March and April. Doing a succession is good.

Christie, Black Seeded Simpson is a good old time one, so is Buttercrunch. I have raised Bull's Blood Beets, they will look pretty in a flower bed; have very dark burgundy leaves which you can eat as a green. They also make roots.
    The Bibb types will take the heat better than the leaf types.

Flower pots would be super for lettuce, just eat it as you thin it out. The thinnings, I mean. Slugs are about the only pests I have had on lettuce, I just sprinkle wood ashes down the row to help control them.

I always grow Bloomsdale spinach, It is another early planted seed. The earlier the better, hot weather is a killer for it.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I like buttercrunch and always plant that. I plant another leaf lettuce that matures quicker to have early lettuce. The Buttercrunch type lettuce makes nice little heads with more substance. It takes longer than the loose leaf type. Kohlrabi is a cabbage type plant. Worms eat holes in any cabbage relative; I don't have as much trouble with lettuce. You may have more of a slug problem depending on nearby hiding places. I don't have so many in my vegetable weed patch. Near the house where it is shady and where rain comes off the house I have many. When you are planting in pots, just scratch up a little spot in your garden and scatter a few seeds. Leaf lettuce is easy to grow. You have to thin it out if you plant too thickly which I usually do.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really appreciate all the info. There are many years of experience in this forum. I think I'll like the buttercrunch. I doubt I will be able to tell what's what when they start coming up.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Christie. We always planted the Mesclun spicy mix and it has done great for us here in Missouri and in Florida too. It seems to last longer here as it doesn't get as hot and humid. Super easy to grow. Just scatter the seeds and water. Once you start cutting on it, it will keep coming back. Makes wonderful salads. And it has such a great taste too. When we first started serving this to my Father he was a bit hesitant to eat it and then after he did he looked at us and in all seriousness said that they were some pretty good weeds. At the time it ticked my husband off but it now has become the family giggle. You gotta love an 82 year old for trying something new!