Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murrell_gw

Missourian's Locations

murrell
21 years ago

Just wondering were folks are located in Mo., or really

any other Ozark State.

The Arkansas folks have a perrty good list.

We live just North of Rolla, Mo. on 5 acres of rock, try to grow anything that is strong enough to live, while I try to kill it. [ thank goodness for Lilies & tulips ]

Also enjoy the different birds.

Murrell & Mary Lou

Comments (150)

• tindee
    18 years ago

Hi, St. Louis, MO - originally from NE Arkansas.

• murrell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello,
    I started this thread Jan.31,2003
    Look like a lot of People listed,
    Don't see a lot of the "Old Timers" on here now !
    Have there been many Swaps Since Ackermans in Marshfield, Crickets in God Only Know Were, or Bill's at Gods Acre ?
    Just thaught I'd drop in and Say Hello.

Murrell
    Rolla, Mo

• divine_sunshine
    18 years ago

:-)

I'm on the Lake of the Ozarks.....on a cove between the 43rd and 44th MM!

Moved here from the SE coast of North Carolina!

• kayjones
    17 years ago

Southern Kansas City, Mo. is my home - 20 miles SE of downtown KCMO. If anyone wants to go wild flower hunting, email me - we are the dreamland of wildflowers here in the midwest!

• micke
    17 years ago

I am 3 miles north of Joplin and I am a stones throw from Carthage, Dimond and Sarcoxie. Hopefully in the near future we will be making our home in sarcoxie, the people are great, plus you haven't seen anything til you have seen sarcoxies peonies!

• twmo
    16 years ago

Centralia, Missouri ... 20 minutes northwest of Columbia which is right between St. Louis and Kansas City.

• lilion
    16 years ago

WOW! Lot's of central Missourians! I had no idea there were so many from Columbia, Eldon, Fulton, Centralia and so on. Good to see you all!

Matt, We're neighbors! I'm also in our lovely capital of Jefferson City.

Alys

• karenmamo
    16 years ago

I live in Springfield.
    So wonderful to be a part of the Ozarks.
    karen

• robiniaquest
    16 years ago

Cheryl -
    you are so welcome to be here - IMO, NE OK is part of our territory.

Janeth -
    first person other than me I've seen from Barry Co. I'm just outside of Monett.

Karen -
    I've always loved the line at the top of the Springfield paper that says, "Tis a privelege to live in the Ozarks." I tell my kids that all the time.

• tlb2005
    16 years ago

Hi ya'll!! *waves*

I am from Southeast MO, in Scott County. Just south of Cape Girardeau, north of Sikeston - Gateway to the Bootheel.

I like to call it "Swampeast Missouri". ;)

I found Garden Web some time ago and was using the home forums. Now I am needing some gardening advice, info, help.....so I am came here.

There is so much info on here, it is amazing!!

I am going to go dig (pun intended) around for awhile. Catch ya'll later......

• ekoboat
    16 years ago

Ozark, MO. Doin' the tropical thing here.

• plfreitag
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new here. Hubby and I live on 4.2 acres of clay and rock outside Wright City, which is 47 miles west-northwest of St. Louis. We're 7.5 miles south of I-70 just past Innsbrook, a yuppie gated community. We have a pond about 100 feet across and 30 or so feet deep in the middle, fully stocked with fish. We have a small garden but finding enough flat land to do much of anything on is near impossible here since we're on a hillside. This spring I started out with 18 chickens - 17 pullets and 1 cockerel, and have now decided that as I cull them I will slowly replace them with a very rare and difficult to find breed....the Penedesenca. I'm still looking for a few breeders to get my starter stock from. Next year we'll be getting a few ducks to have on the pond and to help with insect control. Hubby's always wanted some but didn't want to do it on his own so I'm going to do it for him. He built my chicken coop and shaded overhang area in an unused corner of the carport-shed thing up by the mobile home we live in and this winter he'll be modifying yet another outbuilding to provide predator-proof nighttime shelter for the ducks.

We've been here a while...hubby moved here in 1998 when TWA moved their offices to St. Louis, and I moved up here in 2000 from Tampa FL when we got married. Prior to that I lived mostly in Michigan but I was a military brat so we were a lot of places until I was 10.

If it wasn't for the humidity I would really love it here.

Trisha

Here is a link that might be useful: thefrogpryncess - my simple living blog

• krazee
    16 years ago

I'll chime in. Big Love from 9 miles east of Poplar Bluff.

Used to live in western Nebraska (Go Huskers!). My biggest challenge was realizing I should direct water AWAY from the garden. Right now I am focused on veggies but am excited about finding the time to change my 3 acres from grass to native.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Welcome you all from southeast Mo....bootheel area. We went to Tennessee a couple of years ago through that area and I was struck by how different it is from where we are. We loved the seeing the cotton fields. I think we stayed in a motel in Poplar Bluff the first night.

Welcome to all the rest of you too.

• fiddlerfurd
    16 years ago

Hello,
    Checking in from Sedalia, Mo. Big into herlooms like moonflowers and cleome.

• catsoup
    16 years ago

Hi, everybody! I was born at Dugginsville, Missouri in a little house with no running water, delivered by a midwife. We lived there until I was 12 years old. I was about 1 mile from Bull Shoals Lake. Mom and Dad sold our house and 20 acres for $2,000!! With what land is bringing now near the lake we should have held on to the land, but, who knew? Mom and Dad built a house at Theodosia, Missouri and my Dad had a TV repair shop. I lived at Theodosia until I graduated high school and then, at 17, got married and moved to Gainesville, Missouri. I am a born and bred Ozark County resident.

• Sunny_Sky
    16 years ago

I'm finishing up my move to Jefferson City by the end of this week from Illinois. I was down this weekend moving the majority of my things...what makes the funny noise in the trees at night that sounds like about 1,000 ducks quacking?

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

80 miles south of St. Louis. Newbie to gardening.

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

exquisitesoul1 and missourilark we're neighbors. Park Hills

• lilion
    16 years ago

Sunny Sky! Welcome to my neighborhood! I've been assuming that noise is crickets of some kind. Not really sure but they sure are LOUD here right now aren't they? My husband asked me the other night if I had the bedroom windows open and we even have the storm windows sealed for the AC.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Welcome Sunnysky and Proudgm.
    I was going to guess frogs but I really have no idea.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Thought this needed to be on front page again.

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

Hello to all, We live just north of I-44 in Joplin. By we I mean my dog and myself. Try to keep my raised bed as well as some containers. Lived around here most of my life. mom of 5.. I'm jspeachyn5 I have five as well. well I did, they are grown now. I love all the information. So great when in the middle of something and need to know something. I tap into this site! Just peachy!
    Bonnie

• phyllisjm
    16 years ago

Hi there. I live in Chesterfield, Mo. We are near The Butterfly House (a must see) and this is less than 30 minutes west of St. Louis, Mo. I have loved gardening for many years, but 4 yrs ago built a new villa and hated not getting my hands in the dirt, so we just bought a house on a great lot that we are very excited about.

I was born and raised in Illinois, bnut have live here now my entire married life.

Baby ducks are so much fun too. In 2000, I went thru Lebanon, Mo and came home with 2. They became so fat because they ate the dog's food instead of theirs. They went to a lovely lake in Marthasville, Mo to live out their lives. They were tired of the plastic, Mr. Turtle pool!!! haha

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Welcome phyllisjm. My son lives in O'Fallon and on our last visit, he took us to the Butterfly House. Loved it!

• marychristine
    16 years ago

This thing has been going on so long that I just had to join in. Just discovered this site. Born in Golden City, recently moved from Lee's Summit to Johnson Co. to be nearer my daughter. There's something about a Missourian.

• murrell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well it looks like it's been about 5 years since I started this Missourian's Location list,thought I'd check in.

Still on the rock just north of Rolla, Mo.
    Grounds so poor you still can't raise a umbrella !

Looks like more than a 127 people have posted here,
    wonder if any of the first ones are still around.

Have a good year.
    Murrell & Granny Goodcook

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Oh, yes, Murrell, we're (meaning hubby and I) are still alive and kicking. Still on the same farm near Willow Springs we've been on for 40+ years.
    Keep coming back, we need to get this forum up and flourishing again!

• rita_from_mo
    16 years ago

Hubby retires in 2 years .Cant hardly what to get back to the lake of the ozarks area.We are about 15 mil north of Boling Green right now.When I moved up here 5 years ago .All I did was cry for the first month or so ..ITS SO FLAT.He had to take me for rides to the boonies.That really helped alot.Yeah all those corn,soy growers you can have your FLAT no rock land and just keep doing what ur doing,Ill take the hill counter in a heart beat ROCKS and all .Gotta love the OZARKS

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

It has been a fun thread to read. I live in NE Oklahoma and at the VERY edge of what is considered the Ozarks. I live on Grand Lake and have great garden soil but 3 or 4 feet down it is solid limestone in my yard. My growing conditions are a lot like yours except for the rocks.

• rowdyray
    16 years ago

Hubby and I live 6 miles southeast of Lebanon, Missouri, where else would a rock lover live but the Ozarks?

• pamcrews
    16 years ago

Great thread! I've enjoyed seeing all who lives close to where I live...which is Camdenton, Lake of the Ozarks. Moved here from Florida after one too many hurricanes. Bought a one acre wooded lot that over looks the lake. Love it here but all this rock! UGH....Planting anything in Florida was like cutting into very soft butter.....While I miss the soil there I just love all the spring wild flowers here. I will learn to co-exist with the rock...I will, I will.

Hope my garden web neighbors will give me a yell....

Pam

• Hipydawg
    16 years ago

Just checking in after not being on gardenweb in forever. We transplanted back to the midwest after a few years on the west coast. I am in Highlandville now. Still trying to get used to the rocks and am amazed at what grows out here!

• jpro
    16 years ago

Looks like I'm the only one from Troy Mo. in Lincoln County so far.

• llhbeck
    16 years ago

I am not really in the Ozarks as I am 30 miles north of Columbia, MO but this seems to be the only forum that even looks like our region. We get more cold weather here than they do farther south in the Ozarks.

• gbbrown
    15 years ago

Greetings from the eastern edge of the Ozark Plateau. I am in Jefferson County at High Ridge. The soil is rock and red clay and impossible to work in summer. Yes, I knew this three years ago when we bought the house with one acre. Presently working on flower boarders and a small vegetable garden.

• bekcgarden
    15 years ago

In the northland of KC

• lemontea
    15 years ago

Just wanted to say Hi to all the Missourian's who have posted before. We live about 6 miles north of Lebanon on twenty heavily wooded acres, mostly oak trees. We have lived in the Lebanon area about 38 years. We've lived on this land 4 years.
    I was hoping to have walking or riding trails meandering through the woods. I wanted to create places of interest along those trails. We have a start on the trails but we are retired and not up to doing as much work as we did in the past. So I'm not sure we'll ever get it finished.

We have always loved Missouri and all it's beauty.
    Thank you Murrell for starting such a neat thread.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Hey, welcome all you new people!

Please join in the postings....we need to keep this Ozark thing going whether you are north or south.

• helenh
    15 years ago

We are a wide spread bunch. I live about 24 miles south of Joplin. I enjoyed the Garden Web for several years and then my dial up and old computer made it no fun. I have broadband so now it is fun again.

• pomonaflower
    15 years ago

We're walking distance south of Pomona - the only house in what was supposed to be a new development. At least that's what they told us when we first looked at this place a year ago. For those who've never heard of Pomona, it's equidistant between Willow Springs and West Plains.

Moved here from Wisconsin to get away from the snow and high taxes. Finding it hard to meet people since we're retired and don't have jobs to go to. We've been pretty busy trying to convert our three acres of pasture into yard and garden.

Some things about this area are wonderful; others are not so nice. I guess it's the same everywhere.

• lakelifer
    15 years ago

I actually live on the Lake of the Ozarks with a dock fairly close to Warsaw. All of my gardening is done with raised beds on a 10x30 ft yard.

• highprairiehippy
    15 years ago

We live on 110 ac outside Marshfield. This is going on our 3rd year here and couldn't be happier. I was at Ft Wood in 1970 and fell in love with Missouri.It took me 36 yrs to get back but was sure worth it.We bought undeveloped property(part of an old huge ranch)and raise cattle,veggies,and a couple hogs.Farming is alot different here than in Florida where I was raised,but it was fairly easy to adapt.I'd like to see a little more respect shown the enviroment by those who are native here,I watched Florida go down the tubes,believe me,once it's gone... that's it,you can't get it back.

• pipsydog
    15 years ago

Wow! Just stumbled onto this thread. I was born in Missouri back in 1938. Down near Ava in Douglas county. Someone mentioned Bryant creek.. it may be the creek that ran through my grandpa's place. He had several acres that he farmed there with the help of his sons (one was my dad). My grandpa's name was Henry James Miller or (James Henry) his house set right along the bank of the creek and they had a creek house for a refrigerator. They had an old one room log cabin on that farm beside the creek and that was where I was born without a doctor. No birth certificate..had to get an afadavit later to go to school. The little town of Bryant was just north of the farm on the road down to Ava where my family did there shopping. Mansfield was another town close by I think.

I lived happily on that farm for about three years and my grandpa died and we moved to my other grandparents in Springfield. At the farm I remember on the week end when it would get dusky my grandmother would light the big coal oil lamp and set it in the middle of the big round table, No electricity then and the only electric light came from a small one in the big battery radio that took an A and B battery. Friends came from all around to sit in the big living room and listen to the grand ole opry and stare at the dim yellow light. I got a love for bluegrass and country music back then and have played in bands with guitar, bass and even sang in some bands from the time I was 18 and even now with arthritis so I can't play regular guitar I set it up and play it like a steel lap guitar at church twice a week.

We eventually moved to Tulsa, OK. and then migrated to Washington state where I grew up. I often wondered what my life would have been like if we had stayed on that little creek down near Ava and never left. It was a beautiful little farm as I remember it. I remember sitting under a black walnut tree at just three years old or so behind the house cracking dry black walnuts on a rock and picking the kernals out with one of mom's bobby pins, Ha.
    Anyone around that area remember my grandpa back in the 1930's He would have died around 1940. My grandma's name was Corda Miller and her family was the Evans.
    Thanks for making up this thread.
    Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: The Latchhook Page

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Pipsydog - How wonderful that you still have memories from when you were so young. Living there must've made an impression on you.
    Missouri has old land plat books online from the 1930's that shows who owned all the different parcels of land. I'm going to try to link you to the area north of Ava that might be about where your family lived. I saw some Millers on there but not a Henry James. Someone else may have owned the land at that time. Maybe you'll see some names that you recognize. You can click on "view other pages" on the right if you want to look at other areas of Douglas county.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plat book of Douglas County

• pipsydog
    15 years ago

Wow! Christie, thank you very much this should be interesting. I'll post if I find relatives.
    Paul

• pipsydog
    15 years ago

I may have found the farm. It wasn't under my grandfathers name of James Henry Miller it was under my great grandfathers name of James Evans. There were about three sections or pieces of land listed all contiguous. I vaguely remember that Grandpa evans split the land up to the kids. He was a small man with white beard and mustache and aleways wore an old suit. He had a nickname of Frenchie and had a bad temper (I never saw it) He had worked for the railroad in Missouri and at one time worked at a switch house. They say he carried a little .41 caliber brass derringer in his vest pocket in a tobacco pouch.

My girl cousin (a few months younger than me) would go out on the front porch of the farm house where grandpa Evans would spend many hours sitting and watching the cars pass up on the hill on the road between Bryant and Ava. When he saw us he would gather us up into his lap, one on each leg and tell us mesmerizing stories. Wish I could remember some of them but they were very happy days for us kids. When my dad was little grandpa Evans taught him an old Cherokee song and dad sang it to me but he didn't know its meaning. Lots of questions but no answers available anymore.
    One vivid memorie I have is, we were going somewhere, maybe Bryant and we, my mother and dad and I went across the creek down to the barn where dad hitched up the horses to the open wagon. One of the horses was a new one they had just traded for and it was skittish. When dad climbed up into the seat it lit out and the wagon and horses went skidding around the barn. Mom heard it coming toward us and yelled and slammed me flat up against the barn. I saw dad with one leg hanging down on the barn side asd the horses came careening around the corner of the barn toward us and his leg got caught between the corner of the barn and the wagon and scraped it up pretty badly. He got them halted and we went to our log cabin where mom fixed up his leg. We didn't go anywhere that day.
    Another time I remember was dad hoisting me up on his arm lighting the prince Albert in his pipe (sure loved that smell) picked up his axe and went up on the side of the hill (I could look down the hill and see a pretty little pond). He sat me on the ground and began cutting wood rails and such. And maybe firewood. The trees were not big but it must have been fall because the leaves were all yellow and other colors. Still cherish a lot of those memories of so long ago. I am 70 now. Dad and mom passed away in 2006, he 90 and mom 82. Moms folks came from Springfield wher we spent much time later on after grandpa Miller passed away.
    Paul

• pipsydog
    15 years ago

Kind of funny I always thought the farm was on the west side of the highway (about 3/4 mile down in the canyon) by the creek. But the plat shows it on the east side of the highway. I can see now that there is no way I could have known at three years old. One would look like the other unless I knew where the sun rose and set..which I didn't.
    Paul

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Wow! I'm glad you were able to find it Paul. If you look in Greene county, you may be able to find your mother's family as well. It doesn't show the downtown city of Springfield broken down though. That may be stored somewhere else. You should write down your memories to put with your geneology information if you haven't already.

I enjoyed looking at the plat maps too. I'm so glad things like that are available on the internet and free. Some of the links I've gone to want a person to register and pay money and it can be frustrating.

• pipsydog
    15 years ago

My wife has been wanting me to do that too. May have to write a small book of my early memoirs. Not sure whether my Mothers family owned any particular land around Springfield but they might have just a small plot. I remember my great grandmother on my grandmothers side, great grandpay died just before I was born and really wanted to see me but didn't. I never knew my grandfathers parents. All my indian heritage comes down his side of the family. Cherokee and Commanche, I saw a bit of geneology for that side of the family and about three generations or maybe just two of my grandfathers told about a Half breed Commanche taking to wife a Cherokee girl on the trail of tears and that was my great (? generation) grandparents. A beautiful story but kind of smacks of a bit of license to stretch things maybe. Don't know how they got that information. My Great grandpa ' frenchie' Evans my Dad thought may have some Cherokee in his background because of the little Cherokee song he taught my Dad as a boy. Don't really know.
    My wife reminded me that when Grandpa frenchie divided up the land to the kids that he didn,t give my Dad any land. It was because when they were children my dads sister who was grandpa frenchies favorite, received a gift from him of five dollars for something. Dad asked for some money too and he gave him several pennies which angered my Dad and he threw them down on the floor. Whereupon Grandpa frenchie exclaimed, " Ye'll never get another thing from me laddie!' and I guess he never did. But looking back I do think Dad got a pretty raw deal. it kind of sullied my admiration for my great grandpa when I heard that and I really loved him as a child. I really felt bad for Dad because he and Mom never had anything back in those days and his brothers and sister kind of got a good start by selling their land back then and moving on. Sad..
    Paul

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting