Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Are you Ready for the Ice Storm?

gldno1
15 years ago

I hope so. They sure sound like its going to happen....this time south of I-44 for a change.

You Arkansas guys may get hit this time too.

Let's wish us all luck with this one!

Comments (52)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I got both ice storms last time and I am south of I-44, so I hope they are wrong. If that river birch bends to the ground again, I'm going cut the top off. We'll see, I was afraid it would spring up on me last time. My elm tree doesn't have much left to fall, but there are still big walnut limbs over the house. Fill your bathtubs up for toilet flushing water.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I got both of those storms last year too helen.
    I'm not really looking forward to this one.
    I agree I do like the quite an the down time.
    But since my fireplace does not have a blower it gets pretty chilly in here. Even w/the bedrooms closed off.
    Since I'm on the city water system I don't normally loose my water as long as I let it drip to prevent freezing up.
    So I guess I'm about as ready as I'm going to get.
    When I told the boys (ages under 5) it was going to snow this afternoon after their naps. They started jumping up an down an clapping their hand an saying "SNOW"! I'm old I don't really see the "joy" in it any more.
    Everyone stay warm and safe.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I have ice on my front steps. Little misty stuff is coming down; I wouldn't call it freezing rain freezing mist maybe.

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

Freezing mist here in Adair Co Ok too. We need rain, but I sure hate to see ice storms. We got lucky the last two when Tulsa, Muskogee, Tahlequah to Locust Grove was hit so hard. I just pray nobody gets hard hit and it warms up just enough to fall as rain.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Ice here in Joplin too.
    I have already been out to remove some of it.
    The traffic is going very slow.
    I heard it may turn to snow here in Joplin later this evening. I sure hope that is true.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have maybe 1/4 inch on things here, part mist, part rain and part sleet and still coming down...DH says sleet now.

They promise that won't stick to lines and trees like the rain. I sure hope they are right.

Glenda

• helenh
    15 years ago

I can't get out in the front. The back door has a rug so I got out that way. The dogs were bad and Annie went too. I had to go out to call them. The grass is even slick. I think it is sticking to trees here.

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

We already have maybe an inch of icy sleety stuff.I spent most of the morning getting lots of wood in and filling jugs and stuff with fresh water.Am making coffee now for the thermoses.We can face most anything if we have our coffee!Have added a fondue pot that uses alcohol and a chafing dish for sterno since the last ice storm and we have a wood stove,kerosene heater,and lamps.Candles put out a lot of heat,we kept our pump house from freezing last ice storm with a couple of big candles.We are a lot better off than many but I still dread it.Posy Pet

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

And we're getting sleet here at the lake too this evening. It's going to make for a miserable 24 hours or so. When I came home from work this afternoon I saw trucks lining up at MDOT for salt. Hate it for those that have to be out in it.

Pam

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

I hope everyone is doing well ... I'm thinking of you!

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Hope everyone has electricity this morning. It's slick walking and driving here from the sleet but there isn't a lot of ice on the tree limbs. We did get a little freezing rain. Of course it doesn't take very much to make the roads slick.

Are they still forecasting 1 to 2 inches of ICE for southern Missouri and northern Arkansas?
    Glenda - Is your wireless working? Ours hasn't worked since yesterday afternoon and I'm having to use dial-up. It's painfully slow.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So far so good on the wireless. Do you get your signal from the tower by Ash Grove? That is where my signal comes from.

Have you called them yet? The last time they left a message on the machine about the various outages.

We just have about an inch on, mostly sleet and it was doing something when I finished my outside chores. We both have Yak Traks and they work wonders with this stuff.

This is a good day to be in with a good book or making bread. I am doing both....have a pizza crust raising...trying something new with it, will let it raise 3 hours before using. Also got some new books at the library yesterday, so I am all set.

Stay upright everybody!

I hope our Arkansas and Oklahoma friends check in. They may be worse off than we are.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what else we are to get today. I have got to go look.
    I can see some ice on the trees from here w/out my glasses on.
    Went out to see about the walk an drive. it is frozen so solid I can't get any to come off.
    We still have power here. an it's 21 out side.
    They were calling for it to be 50 on friday. But now it is down to 40's on friday. Oh well it will be warm enough to melt this off.
    Stay safe an warm all.
    Be careful going out to do those chores.
    Bonnie

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Well, it's just after noon Tuesday, and freezing rain still coming down. It was mixed with sleet most of the night, so dodn't affect trees and electric lines too bad, but since 4 a.m, when it switched to freezing rain, the trees are bowing low, lines showing stress. News just said some in our county have lines down already, and hope our Ark. friends are managing.
    Horses still wont go inside the barn, just under the eaves, chickens all cozy in Ft. Knox.
    missfourseasons, do you suppose you would have room for all of us?
    No, really, if kids didnt have to go to work, or have animals, it could just get it all out of it's system, and be Spring!
    Stay Safe.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

It started sleeting here at 6:00 last night and hasn't stopped since. We have around 3 inches of sleet on the ground. Now they are calling for the stuff to last through midgnight tonight. Looks like this one is going to be a doozy. I guess I'll be having a few days off.

• arkie62
    15 years ago

Would send a picture but I'm not getting out in this mess. EVERYTHING is covered with ice, but the temp is up to 32 so the roads are passable. We only lost power for a minute or two twice during the night but it ian't over yet. Have two medium tree limbs on the back deck and one leaning on the side of the house but no real damage so far. Daughter in Jonesboro, AR said there are over 5,000 out of power in that area. Thankfully they have a generator. Supposed to have another inch + snow and ice mix tonight. I'm with ceresone, bring on the flowers and sunshine.
    Max

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Well thats a first for me.
    Grandson wants to bring in "trigger horse".
    It's a tire swing shaped like a horse. He has ice hanging from his tail an nose.
    So the two an a half year old thinks I'm being unreasonable about not going out to retrieve his prized horse.
    I know I should have taken that thing down an stored in the garage for the winter.
    I can't even distract him with baked cookies!
    It is sleeting fairly hard here now. an getting foggy out.
    Bonnie

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Now they are saying that it probably won't stop sleeting until 6:00 a.m. here. They said that parts of western Kentucky have declared states of emergency due to the power outages from icing. I sure hope everyone is okay.

• helenh
    15 years ago

We were getting a wet snow, but it has stopped for now. On the news they had a segment on all the people coming to the emergency room for falls and car accidents. I guess I will just stay inside. Very sad a football player who played for MSSU killed on I-44 on the way to Tulsa where he was from.

• noxtra
    15 years ago

Half inch of Ice, half inch of sleet, and about two inches of snow and it looks like it is over!!! We live in Highlandville and I spent a few hours keeping the ice knocked off the greenhouses. I was afraid it would keep building up and get ahead of us. Hope everyone comes thru without to much trouble......Bring on Spring!!

Lee

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Looks ominous to me. Hope everyone is Ok and keeping warm.
    Rb

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, we ended up with three inches of snow on top of the sleet.

A very good thing: YakTraxs. We both have a pair. They just slip over your shoes or boots and are super on ice.

Hang in there everyone. Power will be back and this stuff will melt, eventually.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Noxtra, haven't "seen" you much since the old garden room-glad to hear you and yours are fine.
    I dont know if you would call this stuff that fell all night ice or snow, looks and feels like some of each. About 3-4 inches overnight, on top of what was there. Trees and power lines holding as of now, southern part of the county has highways closed.
    Everyone be careful, and lets think hard on a early spring--another month and I can start plants!!

• helenh
    15 years ago

razorback33 cool How did you do that?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Does everyone still have power?
    Haven't heard from william an some others.
    We kept power here. Only bad roads to contend with. An the road crews are out in full force now.
    I went out to measure the snow/ice fall. It looks like a total of 4 an maybe just a tad over 4. Checked in several places an that is what I came up with after I got it in down past the thick ice underneath it all.
    Must say it is quite a sight to see this morning w/ coffee an the new missouri conservationist to read.
    I normally sit down an read from cover to cover right away.
    Wishing all to stay warm,dry an safe.
    Bonnie

• razorback33
    15 years ago

helenh....
    I'm always experimenting with the web, to see what I can get away with! Especially on days like this, where I get 'Cabin fever".
    Not much differrent than posting a still photo, except that this is a .gif image, instead of a .jpeg and you have to save it into your computer's picture file. (right click on the picture and then select "save picture as", left click on that and the picture will be saved on your computer.
    Go to Photobucket (I use) and select upload option, "my computer" and click on "choose files", Your picture files will come up and then click on your selection, it will automatically upload that photo. After saving it in PB, mouse over the photo and select HTML Code from the drop down menu. You can then paste the code into the text of your message and when previewing that, the image stream will appear.
    Here's the animated national weather map, with frontal systems and wind shear lines, overlayed with the Radar showing precip.

Hope everyone is well and staying warm!
    We didn't have any frozen precip, only rain. Temp stayed above freezing.
    Rb

• helenh
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. It is melting here, but I not going out until the slick stuff is off my steps. I need to do something today and stop looking at worm videos and depressing stock market stuff.

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

I lied.We only had a little ice when I posted but got an inch overnight and then at least 3" of snow.We never lost power.Wish I could share with some who did.I had planted some coleus seeds that I saved and they are sprouting! Also planted nicotiania and impatiens that I saved and joe pye weed seed that I bought.I let the bamboo and giant reed grass run all over everything and the joe pye weed disappeared.What are you planting now?Posy Pet

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

been in a hotel in harrison, ar since last tuesday. looks like a war zone at home. think i have lost all our trees in the front yd. have to make a 60 mile trip everyday to feed the mouser.
    just think, i planted pepper seeds last sat. here we go again!
    william

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

So sorry to hear that William.
    I was so hoping no one would end up w/the type of mess we all had last year.
    What you described sound like what we had here.
    The challenge of clean up is daunting but you will get through it. Have faith.
    I pray the only damage is going to be to your trees an none to your home.
    I will be thinking about you and your family.
    I'm not sure if I can do anything from here but let me know if I can.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

How awful William! Is your home damaged too? I know it must be overwhelming to look at it all. We sure felt that way but hang in there. We found that it was quite a bit cheaper to have trees cut down that cleaned up. It's sad to see them go though. Hiring someone to use a cherry picker and trim hanging limbs is expensive. We only paid them to do the ones that looked dangerous that we couldn't do ourselves, and then did the clean up ourselves with my dad's tractor. Please be careful.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I am sorry for your loss. I have gotten used to my topped elm, bent river birch and odd shaped bradford pear. How did your greenhouse fare? Seems to be several spoiled pets belonging to Ozark GW. Cats will not change what they eat; I think they might almost starve before changing diet. Mine eat dry cat chow and only lick salmon won't eat it.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

the only damage to the house was the meter box and weatherhead. a limb tore it down completely but has since been repaired.
    greenhouse is in the open and doing fine. was 100 degrees in there thrusday and i have a lone rosemary plant inside that is getting by.
    planted peppers a week ago last saturday [inside house] and nothing has germinated.
    the mouser came with the house when we bought it 2 1/2 yrs ago. he eats dry food. he will not eat a sardine. that's a first for me.
    still in a motel waiting on the power co. the main line is down in the middle of our drive.
    william

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

It's cold this morning and it made me think of the many people who still don't have heat and electricity in southern Missouri and Arkansas. I know a lot of them have generators but I'm sure there are some that don't and are suffering, especially the elderly who can sometimes be stubborn about asking for help. Be sure to check on your neighbors.
    William - I imagine your hotel bill is adding up and you must be getting thoughly sick of it all. Are they working at your place yet?

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Our thoughts and Prayers are still with those that are having it so rough, myself, I couldnt afford the motels, and I know its putting a hardship on all those who must do it. Here's hoping we have a early spring, and can put all this behind us--and survive.
    Methinks this will make gardens more important than ever!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

William, I didn't realize how bad it was until they showed Yellville on TV the other night. I do feel for you all!

ceresone, that is what I think about when they talk about it taking 30 days for some power to be restored....what on earth do poor people do? Motel, meals, laundry, it just makes me sick for people.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I think the other really crazy thing is insurance.
    "Most" people who have insurance have to pay for their room etc and then maybe get reimburse for it.
    I know my son and my daughter both had to do that. The whole mess of getting them to pay for the food lost all the damages and their room. I remember them arguing w/insurance company for months before they finally got the check.
    They were talking about a lot of people in Oklahoma are still w/o power also. I heard the national guard was called in in KY. why don't they call them in into some of these other states?
    Just my 2 cents.
    Bonnie

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

My DH was stuck in the last Missouri ice storm and he really had to struggle to find wood to keep warm, not to mention cook to eat and feed the animals. I really hope things are getting better for everyone...

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I don't think Oakleif has posted since the ice storm. Has anyone heard from her?
    Who else is missing? There may be some other people who still don't have power or maybe just busy with the clean up.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Not sure christie.
    We are missing a few by my guess. We heard from some" before and during" the first of the storms hit. But nothing after.
    Oakleif't
    Beerhog
    razzorback
    mulberry
    pamcrews
    and I don't remember hearing from pauln.
    I could be wrong but I don't think we have heard from any of them since the storm "passed".
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

Mulberryknob is posting in Oklahoma, but where is bunny6 (Ann). I am missing her I think even before the ice.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I'm still hanging around, waiting to hear from relatives in Mountain View, Fox and Blytheville. Some folks still don't have power restored. Read a report on Entergy Arkansas' website regarding the number of poles and wire spans down and quantity of transformers destroyed and damaged__it is unreal!
    Here's their estimate of when most areas will be cleared, but if you live far out in the country, it may be much, much longer!
    {{gwi:1107083}}

This only covers the areas where they provide service.

I've experienced two severe Ice storms and I can emphasize with those that are having to deal with this one.

Hope everyone is OK and checks in soon.
    Rb

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Good to hear from you.
    That is a awful long time w/out power.
    I feel so sorry for all of these people.
    Does anyone know if william ever got to go back home/power hooked up to his house?

Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Glad you're doing ok Razorback. Hope your relatives are toughing it out ok too. Are cell phone towers down? I'd be worried if I hadn't heard from them.
    We didn't have power for almost two weeks but were lucky our roads were cleared fairly quickly so we could get out to get food and other things we needed. I was grateful not to live back in the woods.

Still some forum members who haven't checked in.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Where is bunny6 Ann?

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Here at our house we were without power for 11 days plus 7 hours...from 11:30AM Jan. 27th., to 6:30PM Feb. 6th.
    Since we have a wood heating stove, I did all my cooking on it. I had 5 oil lamps, and plenty of oil. I used the closed off spare bedroom for a refrigerator. It is the farthest from the heat, and kept items in good shape. I had to throw out a lot of frozen foods.
    My trickiest job was bringing in our firewood. The woodshed is only about 25 feet from the back of the house. I spread ashes on my path. It is open front and back. The front has the slab wood. The back has the rounds. One trunk of our 4-trunk River Birch bowed down to the ground in front of the shed, closing off that access. I had to pass between an ice laden Red Oak and the shed to get back to the round wood. I could reach across and get some slab wood also, so that was okay. It was a little scary with breaking limbs overhead, and the crashing ice! But my guardian angel kept anything from hitting me. :-)

Our trees took a severe blow, but our house and out buildings were unscathed. The 4-trunk Birch lost 2 of it's trunks. The Heritage Birch in front was bowed to the ground, and frozen into the ground ice. It was not bouncing back up as it ought to, when the ice was almost all off. I decided if I pulled it lose from the ground ice that would release it. WOW! Did it ever release it! I almost went up with it! I laughed like an idiot! It is still slightly bowed, But I am hoping it will straighten up eventully. It did in the past.

The Tulip Poplar took the worst hit. It is a large tree, and it lost at least half of it's canopy. I am considering having it cut down. The problem is...there is not a clear space to drop it.
    We have a bunch of hanging limbs, in yard situations. I have not approached anyone about taking them down.

Anyway, we (hubby and I) survived okay. I think I have been suffering post traumatic depression, but this too shall pass.

All in all, we were much more fortunate than many.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

So glad to see you check in Marian! You must be relieved to have your power back on. Take your time with the clean up and be respectful of those hanging limbs.
    Our tulip poplar had a lot of damage too. We kept it but it's not close to the house so we don't have to worry about limbs crashing through the roof.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I sent Bunny6 (Ann) an email this morning to check in on her. Hope she has just been busy and not still without power. Oakleif (Vickie) doensn't have an email link on her member page so I couldn't send her one. Hope they're doing ok.
    Are there still homes in Arkansas without power? It's been more than 3 weeks.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't been checking this thread enough. I didn't know you had checked in Marian. Glad you all survivied without too much damage. I know how you hate having the trees hurt, but at least it wasn't the house or you all.

My Heritage Birch didn't survive our Storm of 2007, When the ice melted off, I saw it was cracked so that sap began flowing out of it. I did love that tree! We still are very jagged looking. The tree trimmers are way too expensive now.

We were out of power ll days too......not a fun time.

Glad the rest of you are OK now too. Let's keep our fingers crossed that our worst weather is behind us.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Christie, I am glad you e-mailed Ann. You always think of everyone. I think Ann hasn't been here for a while even before the ice storm. We know her computer was old from what she said when she was trying to post pictures. I stopped coming to GW for a few years because my computer was so slow; so I didn't worry enough about Ann.