Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sommer_gw

Evergreen, fast growing, shade.. is this possible?

sommer
19 years ago

I need some type of hedge or trees that are fast growing, evergreen and will do this faster growing in a more shady area.

We have parts of our yard that get alot of sun and parts that get minimal sun.... Obviously the areas with more sun are easier to grow plants, however, I need help with the less sunny areas.

I am attempting to make a living fence and security/privacy barrier around our property.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (13)

• posy_pet
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I planted cedar trees about 15 years ago for a windbreak and they are huge.Make a great windbreak and privacy fence.My only objection is the seedlings come up all over.why is this thread so wide?Is it something I have done?Also,the cedars are under our huge oak trees and have done fine.We used to have snow drift on our driveway.No more.I have read that in the olden days they would prune the cedars into a hedge.Posy Pet

• noxtra
    19 years ago

I had a lady tell me once that everything she planted under her deck died!!!! I asked her what was growing under her deck at present and she said nothing!!! My response was...if God cannot grow anything under there your not going to have much luck either!!! Very few evergreens grow well in the shade. You might investigate Capitata Yew or Burford Holly neither of which will grow fast.

• sommer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Still looking for input

• beerhog
    19 years ago

What height are you looking for? I figure as quickly as possible. What kind of shade? (Acid loving leaf dropper or netural soil). Sorry to sound so blunt but would help with what would and would not grow there.

• sommer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I would like a minimum of 6 ft... can grow as high as needed, no limit.... Along one side of property... approx. 60 ft is partly shady.. not alot of direct sun.... Another section is approx 100+ ft and is mostly sunny at this point since there are not alot of tall trees right now.

The type of soil... Sorry I do not know... can you help me figure this out.

Thanks
    Chris

• sommer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was outside this morning looking at the sun situation... It appears that this area that I need a tall fast living barrier get some sun in the morning, but by afternoon the house shades it mostly.... I currently have a row of pirvets planted here, but I need more!!!!!

And fast...... We need privacy from our neighbor whom continual harasses us. Now she doesn't like our trampoline.

HELP PLEASE!

• sommer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks.... Actually our HOA won't allow a fence.

My soil is good, little to no rocks, drains well in this location, not clay.. It is deep soil....

I have privets planted now every few feet, but I want something green, year-round in between these....

I would like something that will grow upwards of 15' so that peering eyes cannot easily see in our yard....

I would also like it to keep our dogs in our yards, but I can work later on putting up some type of garden mesh to keep them in once the hedges/shrubs grow.

Thanks again

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    19 years ago

I was afraid a fence is not an option. Sounds like you have good soil. The best tall plants I can think of are still Nellie R. Stevens Holly or photinias or any of the junipers. Don't know if they will give you the look you want.

By the way, I hate HOAs. To many rules and restrictions.

• rockypandora
    18 years ago

I would avoid planting photinias in shade, they are so prone to leaf spot, and the only time I've seen them without it, they've been in full sun. Skip laurels make a nice evergreen screen but they don't get very tall, maybe 8'. I find that hollies are very scraggly in deep shade, and try to avoid the ones with pointy leaves for your kids' sake. Aucuba is a lovely evergreen with yellow spotted leaves and it loves the shade and grows to 10'. If you get a male and female, they will produce berries too. good luck.

• helenh
    18 years ago

I like Canadian hemlock which tolerates shade. They are used as hedges sometimes. There is a pest that is killing them in the northeast, but mine has been pest free and healthy. It is not that fast growing; it sounds like your neighbor is bugging you now. Forget keeping the dogs in with a hedge. I bought one of those dog containment fences. The dog wears a collar that beeps then shocks if they don't stop. The wire was supposed to be buried. I only buried mine across the driveway. I intend to bury the rest of it someday. It works well just dangling on the top of the ground. I didn't install the thing for a while after I got it because I didn't know how easy and forgiving it is. If you have neighbors you would have to bury yours, but it wouldn't have to be very deep. I didn't even train the dog like you are supposed to. I put tape over the two contact points so he would hear the beep but not get shocked. Then I took the tape off after he learned where the beeps happened so he would get shocked. It is keeping him in and he is not a good boy.

• cbandina
    16 years ago

check out this website www.anythinggreen.com. They have fast growers at great prices.I recomend thunjra green giant. make sure to check growing requiements,how wide and high. Good luck.

• 839rach
    11 years ago

I have a similar problem with my neighbor and a fence is not an option. Have you considered bamboo? It is evergreen, has many varying heights and grows quickly. Some consider it to be invasive but there are methods of controlling shoots that may spring up.