Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

viburnum berries for birds

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

Here's a couple photos of my viburnum dentatum 'Chicago Lustre' as requested. I took this back in late summer. It's still loaded with berries but of course the leaves are gone now. The berries aren't as blue now as they were in these photos. They're more black. Not really showy.

The third photo is Blackhaw Viburnum (v. prunifolium) taken back in late summer also. The berries are just black now and still hanging on the shrub. I guess the birds aren't hungry enough yet. I think they're supposed to be edible for people too but I'm not hungry enough yet either. lol

My cranberry viburnum (v. trilobum) had red berries in the summer but they're all gone now. I expected the birds to go after the dentatum first since some people have claimed that birds won't eat v trilobum at all.

Comments (8)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Thanks, I just got a few (maye 5) berries on my new one and wanted to see what the look like.

Photobucket wasn't cooperating, so I will have to wait to enlarge them.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry. I wonder if I did something wrong or if Photobucket is just down.
    I have four different v. dentatums and they don't bloom at the same time. I thought it was strange that my Chicago Luster had so many berries and the others had none. I planted a couple Blue Muffins in the shade and they haven't even bloomed. I hope they will when they get bigger. The Chicago Luster has one Autumn Jazz on each side of it. I also have one plain species and another Blue Muffin that bloomed but no berries.

Which viburnum did you get Gld?

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Christie, I have v. nudum 'Winterthur', v x burkwoodii'Mohawk', and viburnum nudum 'Brandywine'.

I had a few berries on them this fall and they bloomed almost from the time I planted them mid-summer.

I bought them at Dorothy's Greenhouse north of me.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I tried to winter sow several viburnums from seed and Winterthur was that only one that germinated for me. I just have one left and it's about two feet tall now. I bought a Brandywine this summer to pollinate it but neither have bloomed yet. The berries on those are supposed to be showy so I'm anxious to see what they do.
    I think some viburnums take two years to germinate so they're not the easiest thing to grow from seed. Winterthur may be a little easier than the others I tried or I was just lucky.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm having a lot of trouble with photobucket.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

That's just beautiful. I sure hope mine do as well.

Now, I want some red berried plants besides my nandinas. Does anyone have those?

• helenh
    15 years ago

That is a beautiful shrub - healthy looking for sure.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

That is covered with berries. How pretty. Have the birds been to your yard?
    I don't have any of those growing now.
    I winter sow a few shrubs so I guess I will see what comes up. Then I will know what I need to get in the spring.
    I really hope the burning bush seed germinate. Lilic is another one I really want to come up. I just love the smell. We had lilic and honeysuckle near my window as a child. I can remember how wonderful they smelled at night.
    Bonnie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting