Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

weather

helenh
14 years ago

It doesn't look good. I have bird, dog and cat food this time. Today I going to fill my wood boxes at the back door and park my truck in the open (not under a tree).

Comments (19)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Helen, it is already raining lightly up here and is around freezing. DH is out feeding hay so he won't have to in 12 inches of snow. It looks like that is a possibility.

We have cat,dog, bird and people food enough to last a month!

Let's hope there are no power outages for anyone anywhere.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Right now they're predicting 6-8 inches of snow where we are and maybe some ice and sleet underneath it. Doesn't sound too bad compared to the forecast south of us though. Hope everyone is prepared. Our internet quits working when the antenna gets ice on it.
    I thought I heard them say some areas may get up to an inch of ice. I hope none of us gets that much. Be careful everyone.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

I bought a snow shovel today. My Dad's is so heavy I'm tired before I even get it out of the garage. Tomorrow morning I'm setting out my bird feeder in a place I can get to in the snow and I have food for them. Poor little things -- they have a hard time with cold/deep snow. I saw crocus this afternoon in the sunny south yard -- they raised my spirits. And I have been feeding my compost pile all week.
    I hope everyone gets through this with no property damage or injury. Please be careful walking about or driving.
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sunny I think you should just let that snow melt. The last thing you need is to fall on ice.

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

Christie, I think you need to run a heat tape on that antenna and pray the electric doesn't go out!

We have had a little rain but it is dry now. I don't think that will hold out tho.

Take care of all the animals outside and keep warm.
    Kathy

• ceresone
    14 years ago

I've done all that--put out extra feed and hay, changed the chicken waterer--but I saw something scarey yesterday!! We saw a flock of geese flying NORTH! I'm not sure what this means-

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Ceresone, the flock may be local. There are several geese flying over my house daily, all year long -- north to south, south to north -- they spend the day at the river and the night at a protected place (private pond). I love to see them.
    Let's hope the electromagnetic system isn't so screwed up that the ones you saw didn't know where they were going!
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is raining with a little ice just started 10:30 pm.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

This morning we might have an inch or less of very fine snow and still a very fine stuff coming down. I think we missed the worst of the storm north of I-44.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am plugging in my dogs' electric blanket again. Leave your faucet dripping tonight and tomorrow night. I am going to throw a bunch of sun flower seeds on the ground. I have lots of birds crowding my feeders. There are three woodpeckers at once out there now. I am getting light snow. I'm glad the rain is gone. Snow is OK because it protects the plant roots from extreme cold.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Helen, it has been snowing here most of the day, pretty big flakes. The birds have been in a feeding frenzy.

{{gwi:635994}}

We found some hen scratch at MFA for just $6 a 50-lb bag. They seem to be eating it along with BOSS mixed in.

Yes, water will be dripping tonight and tomorrow night.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You caught wings flapping in the top picture. Those are pretty pictures. I would take a picture of mine if there wasn't so much junk in my yard. I have too many pots, buckets and stakes around. The snow is pretty; I walked to my mailbox in the dark but it wasn't dark because of the snow. It is very clean and spongy to walk on.

• jessaka
    14 years ago

great photos. you have a great tree for putting up bird feeders. wish we did. i am wondering how my photos came out.

can't wait until daylight to see how much snow we got. at least we still have electricity.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Look at all those cardinals! I don't think I've ever had so many at one time. The snow sure brings them to the feeders.

I think we got around five or six inches of snow, most of it falling on Friday. We didn't get much overnight Thursday so the kids still had school. They were expecting a snow day and were disappointed. The roads are all snow covered so it was nerve wracking to get out and drive on it but I'm so glad it wasn't ice.

I wonder if we have some forum members without power today. Sounds like some parts of Oklahoma got hit really hard with ice and Arkansas had some pretty big snow totals.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After tonight the temperatures don't look bad. There has not been much traffic on my driveway.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I like both of these shots. You mailbox looks further away than our!

Is that you reflected in the snow covered globe? I avoid those shots.....I would look like the abominable snowman.

I am ready for all this to melt and go away.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is only half of my drive way. I don't feel in the least responsible for weed eating there because it is just wild. It is infested with cinnamon vine. But I can enjoy the wildflowers there without feeling guilty for the weeds. I do need to clear out the stuff that blocks water. When it rains 5 or 6 inches, that ditch becomes a stream. There is honey locust and osage orange with thorns. That is a task I need to do on a nice winter day because there are snakes in summer. That is me; if it were a clear picture you wouldn't be seeing it.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

You got some exercise trudging through the snow to get to your mailbox. Looks like we're going to have another sunny day though. That will do some melting.
    Ceresone - How much snow did you get altogether? Were you in the heavy band? Maybe those geese knew that the weather was going to be a little better up here. I saw a large flock flying back and forth across the sky yesterday and watched them for quite awhile. They finally decided to head southwest but split up into two groups. I thought it was kind of odd. I guess they were just looking for a good place to land.

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

Great pictures. As we left home at 4:30 this am I could hear something dripping off the tree or house. More snow melting. They have changed the snow/rain forecast later this week to just rain. Fine with me. Kathy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting