Herbicides: Choosing and Using to Control Unwanted Plants

Money Saving Tips for Lawn & Garden Care

Rain Gardens

Cold Frames: Setting Up, Using, Succeeding

Make Your Own Garden Containers

Unusual Plants for Ozark's Gardens

Maintaining Your Lawn

Hostas

Create an Inspired Kitchen Garden: Discover the Secrets!

Raised Bed Gardening in the Ozarks

Container Gardens: Succeeding in Small Places

Landscaping on a Budget

What NOT to Plant: Invasive & Doomed-to-Fail Plants

For seminar schedule and location, look here.

Comments (9)

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

I have the lawn and garden show on the list of things to do. I am so ready for it this year. Looks like some good classes. Didn't go to Springfield's last year, felt the year before it was more into garden equipment and I like the flowers. Went to the Wichita show last year. Hope to do both this year.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

February is a little early to sell flowers but everyone is in the mood and ready to buy stuff. A few of the booths had plants for sale. A few booths had seeds too. Hummerts will have onion sets and I think they may have had asparagus last year too.
    I don't get excited about the garden equipment either but there are always several booths that will let you put your name in for a drawing and I watch for those. There were a couple that were going to give away a riding mower and a couple that were having a drawing for a free sun room. (That's what I'd like to win).

Some of the Landscaping companies have photo albums of their work to look through.

Watch for the Missouri Department of Conservation booth. They always have a free tree or shrub seedling to give to everyone that stops by.

Violet - I wonder if the Master Gardeners could raffle off a garden makeover as a fund raiser. I was watching the video of the master gardeners working on the potager style vegetable garden and I thought it sure would be nice if a whole crew of people would show up in MY yard and work like that. lol I would want them to bring materials for raised beds and a big truck full of compost. Maybe another truck full of mulch to put around my existing beds. : )
    I don't have any idea what the attendance is at the Lawn and Garden show or how many people would put in a dollar for a drawing like that, but I certainly would. I doubt if the master gardeners have trouble thinking of things to do to use up their required volunteer hours but I thought I'd make a suggestion just in case. : )

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree. There aren't many flowers because transporting anything in bloom and exposing them to freezing temps is too stressful and too much work this time of the year. It's just too cold and early to have much of any flower theme. It's a time for planning, etc. So if you don't want to look at equipment, I do highly recommend the classes especially since they're free once you're in to the show.

The Creative Kitchen Garden and the Raised Bed Gardening on Saturday afternoon are one after the other.

Hi Christie,

Interesting idea. It has been stated that MGers are not "slave labor". Materials used in the video were about $150-$200 total, so I'm not sure how much of a fund raiser it would it would end up being.

MGers volunteer not only in the MG Demonstration Garden, but also at the Xeriscape, the Discovery Center roof garden, Close Memorial Park which currently has 21 different gardens and Rutledge Wilson. That's not including continuing education, teaching for public outreach, event planning, etc. Not to mention the Calendar is really full.

I think if you wanted to do it and could get the materials and host a class. I can probably arrange to have someone teach it and get people there who are willing to learn It could be a hand's on class where it could be built on site. If you're a member of Friends of the Garden, the process and getting the word out would be even more gardener friendly. The Botanical Center is set to open in September if all goes well so it's a good year for people to get involved with gardening.

Something to think about!

Lots of people are wanting to learn about raised beds. They had to have five sessions of that topic for the Growing Knowledge at the Farm Series at Rutledge-Wilson Farm Park to meet demand. They're offering several children's classes for the summer as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Friends of the Garden Area Garden Events Calendar

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

I know about the plants. They usually don't make it but it gives me a quick fix for awhile. I somehow think I can keep them alive when there are so many odds against it. Maybe I should be happy with going to classes. I like to look at Hummerts and want to get some bulbs. Kathy

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy,

Awww.... have you seen this video? It might help.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I'm not surprised that there's so much interest in raised bed gardening. It's a good solution to our rocky soil. I need to get my hubby interested in it so he'll help me.

I suspect there's a core group of master gardeners that put in more hours than required. I can't even find time to take the classes but will someday.

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

Violet, It took me all mo to find this post again but I did go check out the video. It is great. Something to really think about. May just be the answer to my yard. I have a huge front yard but the back is small and hilly. Hope I can get to the class tomorrow. Kathy

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Got to quit going to these things. Just reminded me that I'd like to have a sunroom and a water feature and they're both well beyond my garden budget. I loved the pondless waterfall that Fitz Water Design had set up. They have some cool stuff on their website too. (not that I was looking) Check out the water cave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fitz Water Design

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

Christie, a nice alternative to a inground water feature is a fountain. You get the sparkle and sound, and it attracts birds. I love mine. Very easy to care for too.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting