Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Feeding the Birds

gldno1
15 years ago

I was just in Race Brothers on Kearney and they have Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, 50 lbs for $17.95 which is a very good price. Just thought I would pass this along.

Comments (8)

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

That's a good deal! It saves quite a bit to buy them in a big bag like that.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Do squirrels & chipmunks eat BO sunflower seed? I'll bet they do, they seem to eat everything else I put out for birds!
    Several years ago, I constructed a feeder that totally stymied the tree and ground rats, but a large limb broke during an ice storm and destroyed it. Guess I will need to have william in yellville make some. No, guess not, he is an expert with wood and mine contained no wood, only ceramic, plastic and metal and hung from a tree limb.

What I do in the meantime is, throw several handsfull of seed in an overgrown area next door and while the squirrel community devours that, I go several hundred feet away in my yard and scatter seed for the birds. They can usually get their fill before being discovered by the glutenous squirrels.
    Rb

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish I knew how you built that one, Rb. My plastic lid on my plastic feeder has been chewed all around the edges by the squirrels. It isn't leaking yet, but won't last much longer.
    So far, this year, the squirrels haven't bothered me.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Oh please someone come take my squirrels!
    Remember last spring how I had one chew the eve of my roof an soffet, w/big hole.
    Well I see they have been at it again.
    Went out last weekend when it was warm and what do I find, 2 more big squirrel holes! grrrrrrrr
    I don't get it. there are 2 big trees way out past the property line. on dead w/ plenty of places to put nest and one alive that would look good to me if I were a squirrel. Hey at least they would not be living up here by the dog who wants to bark every time it sees hears or even thinks a tree rat has crossed the line for "her" space.
    What am I to put up to prevent them from making new holes? The roof and soffet were all replaced one year ago last october. So this patching new sofet is really a ugly sight until spring an I can paint to match.
    Some my think they are cute and funny to watch. How ever when they start tearing up things I get a little testy about it, sorry guess I had to spill that out. I will take a deep breath an count the days until spring and be for more calm in a moment : )
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonnie, do you have outside dogs? I am thinking my hole digging dog may have something to do with the squirrels being gone this year. I have seen him lay under a tree looking upwards for hours.

I did hear something scurrying across the attic the other morning. Could have been a squirrel. I need to get out and check our soffit.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

gldno1,
    Mahala is out when it is warm an dry enough an in when not.
    She will sit very still and then when she thinks they are on "her" area she goes after them. Even in the house she will know if one gets too close to the tree in the front and growls. Guess I need to pay more attention when she is growling at them.
    But then what run out the door w/the broom? Yep that would do the trick, I don't think so. I have watched them pull sunflower heads off my plants and then climb the tree in the front and sit there and eat and drop the trash. I toss things at them an the just keep on eating. An that is in the summer.
    I hope you don't have them tearing uup your house too.
    I have noticed (knock on wood here) that I have not had a mouse this winter. I almost always get one or two mice every winter. they come in the garage. Hope that means we won't have such a bad winter this year. But maybe it just has not stayed cold long enough yet. Now watch I will have a whole heard of them since I said that. lol
    Bonnie
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I think you posted before that you saw the squirrels doing the damage. It is wood peckers that make holes in my house.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Yes, they cause a hole in the soffet last year and repaired that during the summer.
    Now they have made more.
    Maybe a house made of concrete : )
    Bonnie

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz