Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Stupid question

proudgm_03
15 years ago

Can you can beans such as great northern or pinto? I was thinking of trying to grow some and dry them but I hate cooking dry beans because they take so long. I was thinking (I know I shouldn't) that if I soaked the beans and then canned them they wouldn't take so long to cook because maybe they would become somewhat soft in the canning process. Is this possible or have I gone off the deep end?

Comments (11)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

You may have gone off the deep end...I tried growing and harvesting dry beans once..................lots of work to get the dry seeds out of the pods.

As for the long time cooking....don't salt the water until the beans are almost done. It took me 40 years to know this and I am amazed at how much time it took off the cooking process.

Then, cook a bunch at one time, freeze in whatever size container you want and you are ready when you want some. I always do this with soups, stews or beans, or anything that takes a long time.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

I canned quite a few pinto, lima, and black beans last year. The black beans I dont know why, because I havent found anything to use them in, but the others are long gone.
    According to the Ball Blue Book, you soak in water 12 to 18 hours, drain, cover with cold water by 2", and boil for 30 min. Pack into jars leaving 1" headspace, add 1 T. salt add liquid over beans (or peas). Process 1 hour and 30 min. quarts. I added chopped up ham to the bottom of the jars.
    Limas, you only process 50 min.
    I use the latest edition of the Ball Blue Book every year.
    Hope this helps?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

My family cans beans as well.
    My family likes the black beans added to their tacos. Also they like them made into bean dip.
    Bonnie

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

It sounds to me that canning beans is a lot of trouble. For that matter, raising beans to dry is a lot of trouble IMO. They take a lot of garden space for a long time, and then have to be shelled. I've done it, but once it is done, I wouldn't take the time to can them. You can cut the cooking time of dry beans substantially by simply planning ahead and soaking them overnight. This has the added benefit of increasing the vitamin and enzyme content of the beans at the same time that it decreases the gassiness.

I wait until late fall or midwinter to process my dried beans--stored dry in the freezer to prevent the meal moths from getting to them--this way. Then I pack into quart freezer containers and freeze. I do this whether I raise the beans or buy them.

Black beans make a great corn and bean salsa made with tomatoes, onions, a little jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. I always save a few cartons of black beans until midsummer when I have the garden stuff fresh.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I think it's too much trouble too unless it's some type of bean that you can't easily buy. Dry pintos are relatively inexpensive.
    Bean dishes usually freeze pretty well. You could make a big batch of chilli or ham and beans and freeze the extra in quart freezer bags or those plastic bowls that glad lock makes.
    I'd never heard to wait to salt the water. That's a good tip. I haven't made ham and beans yet this winter. That sounds really good. I bought a brand of ham last week that was very good called DG. It says Double-G Brand - Missouri Slow Cured on the label. I don't know how long that brand has been around but it was new to me and I thought it was cool that the business is based in Missouri.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I am a big fan of dried beans. Almost all types; Great Northern, Navy, Pinto, Small (Rice) Red, Black, Anasazi.
    Also dried peas, split green and black-eyed ones.
    Adding salt at the beginning of the cooking cycle causes the outer skin of the beans to become tough and requires a longer time to cook.
    I bring the dried beans to rolling boil and then remove from heat and let stand for a few hours, before placing them back on the heat. Bringing them back to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. They are usually cooked and soft within a couple of hours.
    Seasoning is a matter of preference. Salt and pepper, added near the end of the cooking cycle, is a must for me. I use black and cayenne pepper, sometimes a little onion powder or chives and finely chopped parsley. Instead of ham, which today, has very little fat and doesn't provide much in the way of seasoning, I use a couple of tablespoons of bacon drippings (seasoned lard!), which I store in a sealed jar in the fridge, for that purpose.
    I have about expended my store of cheap dried beans. They have recently quadrupled in price, from 40-50¢/lb. up to $2.00 or more per lb. in this area. You can buy them cooked and canned, now much cheaper than the dried ones!
    Rb

• helenh
    15 years ago

Evidently this was not a stupid question. I don't like beans, but my friend does. I have picked up some ideas here.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Well, for myself, I don't always have time to spend several hours cooking beans, and I found it was very handy to just go open a jar, then there weren't leftovers to contend with.
    I suppose it's just a hillbillys idea of fast food, but you throw a little cornbread in the oven to bake, open a jar of beans-and-presto-supper.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Same here.
    If I have had a busy day, I really like to have something handy to toss together for dinner.
    Works well for me to have something to toss together when someone "drops" in for dinner.
    Sauerkraut an potatoes is something else I like to keep on hand.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

See what you all did! I cooked a pot of pinto beans for dinner yesterday.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

: ) funny,
    I put mine on to soak last night.
    Now to get some potatoes peeled to fry this evening. An make some cornbread today when I bake some cookies for the grandchildren.
    I will be set.
    Hope yours were as good as they sound right now.
    Bonnie

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company