Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Back to School Winter Sowing

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

Today was my kids' first day back to school after Christmas break and I've been celebrating, I mean passing time, by making a big mess in my kitchen with potting soil, containers, seed packets, etc. I should be making my mess outside but it's COLD. lol

Has anyone else been sowing seeds?

Comments (19)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I have been thinking about winter sowing. I lurked over on that forum the other day. It looks like there is not much to it; my memory is so bad I don't remember how it worked out when I tried it before. It is fun just to think of spring this time of year and winter sowing is easier than caring for plants in the house.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

It wasn't very successful for me the first time I did it so I haven't tried it again. I would have to find a place the dog couldn't get to though.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Well I did a couple of containers Saturday when it was nice out. I sowed two different types of coneflowers. I had a "chile's" to-go container that I just didn't have the heart to part with and it just so happened I used the last of the OJ in the carton. So I thought I'd put them both to work for winter sowing. I guess only time will tell......but it the mean time it gives my hubby the opportunity to complain about the 'unsightly' containers in the front yard....LOL....

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Oh christie that little slip was too funny.
    I ws some shrubs a few days back. I plan on doing so much more in the nex few weekends. I also have a coupe of special plants I want to try I'm going to start on my B-day this week.
    The ones I ws last year did so well. I only had one container that was a flop for me. That was flax. I so love those pretty blue flowers an not a one came up. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
    I'm going to be one of those women who is doing the chicken dash all over trying to get them all in the ground come spring. But it will be worth it.
    Are you planing on doing very many?
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My winter sowing isn't always very successful either. I just do it that way because I don't have a good set up with lights and don't have a greenhouse. Some people on Gardenweb have sooo many seeds from seed trading, it's a good way to use those up.

I saved seeds from Silene and Stokes Aster and already have those sown in roasting pans. I got pawpaw seeds in a trade and I'm sowing those in two-liters because they need something tall. I HAD Coral Honeysuckle and dogwood seeds in my fridge but they molded. The coral honeysuckle that I planted last fall still has a few green leaves so I'm hopeful that it will come back in the spring. I was afraid that I planted it too late. I don't really need the dogwood. I was just going to plant those to give away so I don't mind losing those. I'm waiting on annuals, vegetable and melon seeds. It's too early to sow those. I need to go through my seed box and see what else I have.

A lady sent me Vitex seeds which I don't know very much about. I think it would look a lot like a butterfly bush from the photos I googled. I have those set out to sow.
    I tried to grow flax from seed a few years ago and didn't get anything either. They were just some that were given to me but I was disappointed. Health food stores sell flax seed. I wonder if that kind would have pretty flowers.

Pam - I'm that way with containers too - and boxes. If I happen to get a box that's the perfect size, it makes me think of plant trading.

• qumum
    15 years ago

I was intriqued last evening while reading the ws forum. That is all new to me. So what veggie seeds can be WS now? or what flower seeds? To think of all the wonderful containers I've thrown away...........oh, my!
    Donna

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Qumum - I'll link a list of veggies that can be winter sown. This is from the FAQ section in the Winter Sowing forum. A warning though, I think if you sow veggies or annuals too early, there's a good chance that they could get frozen. Are you in the Ozarks? Our weather is up and down, and late freezes are too common. I'm sure it's like that other places too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sown Veggies

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I know spinach and lettuce would work and peas, but I would be leery of some of them, corn seed is too expensive to risk.
    I have had bean seeds that were left on the vines come up the next year and cucumbers, but most of these are direct sown so I don't see the point.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I think our weather may be more up and down than in the north where the snow stays on all winter and keeps things cool. Christie I am not sure all the seeds people save are good seeds. I sometimes wonder how much land people have to grow all the plants on their seed lists or are they just having fun collecting seed and trading. I used to get free seeds on the exchange and I got some good ones. That is where I got my four o clocks which I like better than the purchased varieties.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen - I wonder too. I've seen some unbelievably long exchange lists and I just don't see how it could be possible for someone to have that many plants and keep them all weeded. They must have more time on their hands than I do. lol

Qumum asked about veggies and I forgot that I have winter sown tomatoes a couple times with good luck. My dad used to put some soil in a bucket and sow tomatoes in March. He didn't cover them but would just set the bucket outside.

I only sowed part of my pawpaw seeds. I found a couple links that said not to let the seeds freeze. I've kept mine moist in my refrigerator since they're not supposed to dry out. My new refrigerator has already had to be repaired twice. Both times everything on the frig size froze and the temperature control wouldn't work. So my seeds have already gone through a couple freezes. : (

Helen - do you have a photo of your four o'clocks? I had some seeds that were old and only one came up. I don't think I ever did see that thing bloom. I saw a bud a few times though.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I just love 4o'clocks.
    I plant them every year. I had so much seed from them this year I finally had to just pull them up and trash them. I have plenty of seed for the yellow and crimson if any one need/wants some I will share : )
    Christie, I do know that they need at the minimum a few hours of bright sun light. They bloom more in the sun an the plants are more robust. I had a couple in a shady area with no real direct sun and they came up but failed to produce a healthy looking plant or much in the way of blooms.
    I only water them if they start looking wilted or we have been w/o rain a long time. Since the root is so deep it really is a minimal care plant for me.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I don't think someone w/that many plants for ws would want to do that much weeding.
    I mulch everything. I have very little weeding to do. But then again don't really need to water as much since I mulch either.
    I am going to ws some more day lilies this week. The ones I started last year by ws were a bigger healthy plants when set out. My attempts at starting them indoors are not very good.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I bought 4 o'clock seeds this year. When should and how do I plant them? I tried one year and nary a seed came up! I think I got the broken colors.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

gldno1,
    Just soak them in a cup of water for a day or two before you sow them.
    I just rack the soil loose and drop where I want them and them back rack over them. just under the soil not deep. If you plant next to a building or something. Make sure you leave at least 2 feet of space so the will fill out an not get heavy on one side an lean over. this way they make more of a bush type and are more sturdy in the wind.
    I put my seed out right around easter time. They don't normally come up until the soil gets warm, but they do start better for me that way. They get all that spring rain and the deep root will not have to compete w/dry packed soil.
    After they get started coming up about 4 sets of true leaves. I spread some compost around there and then mulch. I pull the mulch back from around the base of the stem so it gets plenty of air. After that not much else but enjoy in the evenings.
    I plant a row of them on the west end of my house where the get full sun from noon/1- sun set. The warmth from the brick help keep them in bloom until first frost.
    Maybe more info than you needed, sorry.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

Christie search helenh four o clocks to find pictures. People who like formal stuff would think they are too wild looking. Mine get tall. I would plant them in a tough place; not your prime flower bed area. I let some grow in my day lilies and they took over. Glenda your bad luck with four o clocks makes me think you got some stale seed. Once I purchased the same type of seed (f. tobacco) from two different places and one grew the other nothing much. Four o clocks are easier to grow than most. They do have a hard seed, but I really think you got duds last try.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

I must be jinxed! I winter sowed 4o'clocks every year and every year was a failure! I got the seeds from my friend who has them growing crazy at her place. She told me they just self sow... what is wrong with me?

• helenh
    15 years ago

They grow a big thick root. Mine have been coming back from the roots; a cold winter might stop that. Seedlings come up too. They come up in the "lawn" around where the flowers are growing. There is such an abundance of seeds produced that their germination rate could be low and still grow a gazillion seedlings. The broken colored ones and another fancy one I bought grew from seed but didn't keep coming back like the magenta tall ones. I think they might like warm weather to germinate. Sometimes when I plant too early, seeds rot or mold.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

That is why I soak mine to soften the shell. Then they start growing right away and no chance to rot.
    Your one that like the warm germination might like it where the get early morning sun or a lot of sun.
    Isn't it funny how each of us can grow something so easily an never think about it being a difficult plant to grow. Yet others struggle to produce the same plant we accept as simple.
    I think petunia is one of the ones that everyone always says are so easy an care free. Well I don't know how to tell them, but not in my garden. They are always straggly and soon start to just die off. I think I try to baby them along too much. so I avoid those plants. I just enjoy other peoples efforts.
    Maybe the seed that you had received to start your 4 o'clocks were not harvested at the right time. Maybe too soon? That could be a reason they didn't come up.
    The same with morning glories. Mine never reseed. I always reseed/start new ones each year.
    Bonnie

• ceresone
    15 years ago

What about reseeding Petunias? I had some that reseeded for several years, a deep purple, I mentioned it to my Sis, how unusual I thought it was--then I learned they ALL used to reseed. Would
    n't you know it? I lost mine.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Bonnie you are lucky your morning glories don't reseed. It would be nice to start them each year where I want them.

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz