Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

worms

helenh
15 years ago

Do any of you have a worm bin? Someone on winter sowing posted worm bin photos. I have been watching videos on worm composting. It looks like something kids would like. I would not pay big bucks for a nice bin but I have plenty of plastic tubs around.

Comments (9)

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I could do this plan. When the weather improves I'll probably find other things to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: worm bin from plastic tubs

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I've read some pretty funny stories of people trying to round up escaped worms all over their basement. Of couse it wouldn't be funny if it were in my own house. lol
    The castings make some of the best fertilizer from what I've read. The soil and compost forum would have lots of info on raising them. Don't forget to look there.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Well I feel stupid. I just discovered that Gardenweb has a vermicomposting forum. They might have some info too. lol

If you decide to start a worm bin, let us know how it goes.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I've heard that if you take a bar of soap and rub it around the top of the container that the worms won't crawl over it to get out.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My pets came today. I like them. I keep picking up the shredded newspaper to look at them and they run away. I hope I don't kill them because I ordered them on-line during the ice on impulse and now they are here. I just made their bed today after I checked the mail.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Keep us posted Helen.
    I'm curious. Yes I've heard about the cat.
    No really I have always thought it sounded really cool in theory. Just don't know if it would be right for me.
    Good luck.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Congrats! What are you keeping them in? Did you make a bin like the one in the video? The photos that someone posted in the winter sowing forum showed a worm bin that looked like just another piece of furniture sitting in their kitchen. It seems like it would be so convenient to have it right there in the kitchen to dump scraps into as long as it's odorless like they say.
    If a person was crafty (I'm not), they could make a bin out of wood maybe to double as a plant stand or bench or something.

The cat?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Crafty? Wood? Hummm.... William? Hey william maybe something for you to think about next year when there is little to do.
    Sure hope you an your family are doing alright.

Helen let us know if it really is odorless. I just can't imagine it being completely odorless.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is a plastic tub with damp shredded newspaper and it is in my basement. It smells like onions because I put some in there with potato peels, apple cores and lettuce leaves. Heck with the compost these are my pets; I like them as well as goldfish. In better weather, I think they could be just out my back door. I will not put onions in there in the future.