Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

New Book

helenh
14 years ago

Who knew their were 16 kinds of Mortgage Lifter. I think I'm going to like this book. It came today. Still no Sand Hill catalog - a good thing because I'll bet I'm going to change my list. Amy Goldman's The Heirloom Tomato From Garden to Table.

Comments (7)

• sweetwm007
    14 years ago

the strange thing about tomatoes is the list is always changing! ask ceresone.

william

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I bought Dr. Male's book and realized that it is all very subjective. What grows well in my garden and appeals to me, may not even taste the same in someone else's garden. I just need to find something that does well in my garden! That is the problem.

I did order some of her recommendations though.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't read many books but I did read the Carolyn Male book. The part in the front with instructions and background is short enough that I didn't bog down. The tomatoes don't all interest me. I don't want big tomatoes and I don't really want colored ones. It was easy to look through the book and read the ones that appealed to me first. I enjoyed the book and it is better than playing my nintendo DS. I think I will go back to it again and again. This Goldman book has bits of history on the tomatoes and many beautiful pictures. I think I will get my money's worth. It has more detail than the Male book but I will have to see if I agree with her on the flavor. There are varieties in there I will never try to grow. Before last year I would not have ordered a tomato book. You know who is responsible.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I do indeed.

I have about an $800 list of "necessities" before the end of next year that I want to buy.

I restrained myself on the grain mill and the blasted thing went off sale. DH was dragging his feet a bit on it.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Amy Goldman has a book on melons too.

Tomatoes must be addictive. It always amazes me how many different varieties there are in the catalogs. Cornell's site lists 764. I know you're right that it's all subjective but it's still nice to hear what other people have had good luck with. Cornell's site is relatively new and many of the varieties haven't been rated at all yet. It'll be more helpful in a few years when there are more ratings.

Where did you find a grain mill for sale Glenda? Have you ever been to the restaurant supply place on west Grand in Spfd? I wonder if they would have one. Lots of neat stuff there. I can't think of the name of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Vegetable Varieties - Tomatoes

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Have you ever been to the restaurant supply place on west Grand in Spfd? I wonder if they would have one. Lots of neat stuff there. I can't think of the name of it.

Restaurant supply places are the best.

Fellers Food Service Equipment
    2140 W Grand St
    Springfield, MO 65802
    Phone: 417-862-0812

I've seen grain mills in the past at Tuesday Morning in the Plaza Shopping Center:
    1826 S Glenstone
    Springfield, MO 65804-2303
    417-890-9183

You should always try craigslist though...

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist - Springfield

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I have been looking at Ebay and Pleasant Hill Grain Co. Ebay is about the same price. I could have saved $60 if I had bought it before the sale ran out. The brand I want is called Nutri-Mill.

I visit Craigslist almost daily but didn't think to check on the mills.

There are probably other brands, but some are lots more expensive and I know several people (online) who swear by this one.

glenda

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH