Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Do you like rocks?

helenh
11 years ago

When I dig a hole in my garden I hit a layer of rocks just a few inches down. Why do I keep hauling in more rocks? I have been getting them outside of Seneca for 10 cents a pound for the big flat ones. They are cheaper if you buy a big pile of them. I get my small creek gravel that I use instead of pea gravel at Ozark Nursery.

Comments (12)

• gldno1
    11 years ago

I do like them but have never paid for decorative ones! Now and then we drag up something special found on the farm, but that is about it.

• ceresone
    11 years ago

My Daughter in Spf. pays for rocks for her garden, I try to get her down here to just pick them up!!

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used to pick up big flat ones limited by what I can lift after the grader went through on the dirt road. Sometimes there were snakes under them. It is easier to buy them. I use the gravel for paths.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

The rocks I dig out here are the ugly reddish ones. I could build a small castle. lol I've never done anything with them.
    We have Winsor(?) Stone along the front of our house. Their more like blocks than stone, and smaller rocks, some kind of Arkansas White/mixed smoothe stones inside that bed with a few shrubs. I've never bought large decorative rock though to outline my other flower beds.
    They picked up and hauled in tons of decorative rock for the beds at Close Park's gardens. It's beautiful.

• pauln
    11 years ago

I love rocks! I'm in Little Rock, so we've got Ouachita sandstone. Ouachita rocks tend to be chunkier than the flatter Ozark ones, so it's a bit more difficult constructing a wall or terrace, but I enjoy puzzles. I'm always looking at construction sites where they usually are glad for me and my buddy to haul them off. Unearthed rocks are often not pretty. However, once they get some weather and sun on them, the brown/red/yellow colors slowly fade to a pleasant gray and algae/moss/lichens start to grow on them after a couple of years. My steep backyard is slowly developing into several terraces of dry stack rocks. I then get the city to dump a truckload of compost and I'm good to grow.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went to Seneca for more flat rocks last week and found myself browsing for pretty rocks in another pile. They get their rocks from Ark. and Oklahoma probably they are the same type of rocks that you get pauln. I just like rocks. I got one that is very ususual that I put in my big pot as an ornament.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Ha ha Helen We have rocks, this place grows them, I think! I use them everywhere, path edges and gabion fence posts, low walls. But no BIG rocks.

So there we were, also at the rock yard in Seneca, looking for rocks for a pondless fountain we are building and wound up with 500 lbs of rock! Doesn't take long or very many rocks to add up to that, either! I love picking out of the rock pile! In a couple of weeks we will be going back for some of the Colorado rainbow rock for finishing around the pond, mosaics and paths. Did I mention I love rocks?

Sandy

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

Sandy/Helen -- Where is the rock yard in Seneca?? I need a few more.
    Thanks -
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Sunny it's M&M Stone. Just go on 43 south of Petro and keep going, it's about 15 mles I think, almost to HWY 10. On the right. their ph# is 417-776-3949 if you need it.

Sandy

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got rocks for Valentine's day{{gwi:807}} again. I pick them out myself but I have a receipt that they are paid for. Rocks and potato chips and candy- he knows what I want.

This post was edited by helenh on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 9:40

• janie1979
    11 years ago

Helen, Your post about rocks for Valentines day made me chuckle. I do love rocks too and am always watching along the road for rocks that I can stop and pick up.

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

I wish someone would come pick up rocks on my place. But I doubt anyone wants rough chert from baseball to football size. Sigh....

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor