Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you like rocks?

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 15:59

When I dig a hole in my garden I hit a layer of rocks just a few inches down. Why do I keep hauling in more rocks? I have been getting them outside of Seneca for 10 cents a pound for the big flat ones. They are cheaper if you buy a big pile of them. I get my small creek gravel that I use instead of pea gravel at Ozark Nursery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you like rocks?

I do like them but have never paid for decorative ones! Now and then we drag up something special found on the farm, but that is about it.

o

My Daughter in Spf. pays for rocks for her garden, I try to get her down here to just pick them up!!

o

I used to pick up big flat ones limited by what I can lift after the grader went through on the dirt road. Sometimes there were snakes under them. It is easier to buy them. I use the gravel for paths.

o

The rocks I dig out here are the ugly reddish ones. I could build a small castle. lol I've never done anything with them.
We have Winsor(?) Stone along the front of our house. Their more like blocks than stone, and smaller rocks, some kind of Arkansas White/mixed smoothe stones inside that bed with a few shrubs. I've never bought large decorative rock though to outline my other flower beds.
They picked up and hauled in tons of decorative rock for the beds at Close Park's gardens. It's beautiful.

o

• Posted by pauln z7B Arkansas (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 12:05

I love rocks! I'm in Little Rock, so we've got Ouachita sandstone. Ouachita rocks tend to be chunkier than the flatter Ozark ones, so it's a bit more difficult constructing a wall or terrace, but I enjoy puzzles. I'm always looking at construction sites where they usually are glad for me and my buddy to haul them off. Unearthed rocks are often not pretty. However, once they get some weather and sun on them, the brown/red/yellow colors slowly fade to a pleasant gray and algae/moss/lichens start to grow on them after a couple of years. My steep backyard is slowly developing into several terraces of dry stack rocks. I then get the city to dump a truckload of compost and I'm good to grow.

o

I went to Seneca for more flat rocks last week and found myself browsing for pretty rocks in another pile. They get their rocks from Ark. and Oklahoma probably they are the same type of rocks that you get pauln. I just like rocks. I got one that is very ususual that I put in my big pot as an ornament.

o

Ha ha Helen We have rocks, this place grows them, I think! I use them everywhere, path edges and gabion fence posts, low walls. But no BIG rocks.

So there we were, also at the rock yard in Seneca, looking for rocks for a pondless fountain we are building and wound up with 500 lbs of rock! Doesn't take long or very many rocks to add up to that, either! I love picking out of the rock pile! In a couple of weeks we will be going back for some of the Colorado rainbow rock for finishing around the pond, mosaics and paths. Did I mention I love rocks?

Sandy

o

Sandy/Helen -- Where is the rock yard in Seneca?? I need a few more.
Thanks -
Sunny

o

Sunny it's M&M Stone. Just go on 43 south of Petro and keep going, it's about 15 mles I think, almost to HWY 10. On the right. their ph# is 417-776-3949 if you need it.

Sandy

o

I got rocks for Valentine's day again. I pick them out myself but I have a receipt that they are paid for. Rocks and potato chips and candy- he knows what I want.

This post was edited by helenh on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 9:40

o

Helen, Your post about rocks for Valentines day made me chuckle. I do love rocks too and am always watching along the road for rocks that I can stop and pick up.

o

I wish someone would come pick up rocks on my place. But I doubt anyone wants rough chert from baseball to football size. Sigh....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here