Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyplants

Lincoln-Adams Tomato? Whats your fav tom??

NancyPlants
12 years ago

Helenh and anyone with suggestions:

I'm participating in a tomato swap and am supposed to give a list of varieties I'd like to receive back.

Last year was my first time to do strictly heirlooms so I dont have a huge knowledge.

I'm looking at the other participants trade lists to get ideas of what might be sent in for the swap and researching those varieties.

I did a search on the Lincoln-Adams tomato and noticed you had asked about it last year. Did you end up growing it and if so, what did you think of it?

So many of the sites that are selling use terms like 'excellent flavor' 'exceptional', etc but dont actually tell what the flavor is like.

I prefer a zesty, more acidic tasting tomato whereas DH perfers a sweeter one.

Last year I grew every variety that had been sent to me...30 in all. Some I wont grow again, some I was pleasantly with. I found 2 new favorites:

Jaune Flamme-small egg sized, bright orange color, very prolific and great zesty flavor.

Black Russian Truffle-pear shaped, dark mahogany with green shoulders, produced well, the best tasting 'black' tomato I've found (nice balance of sweet and zesty).

What are your favorite tomato varieties?

What would you not bother growing again?

Comments (9)

• helenh
    12 years ago

I grew Lincoln-Adams last year. The young plants grew great but I can't remember anything about the tomato. I had a big flood at the end of May and then no rain to speak of all summer. It was so hot I couldn't stand to be out in it. I did have luck with a small tomato, Bulgarian Triumph. I was happy to get any production at all last year. In other years I have liked Pale Perfect Purple, Eva Purple Ball and Cherokee Purple. When I have tomatoes everywhere covering my counters and in boxes to give away and I want one to eat myself I'll chose one of those three. Cherokee Purple rots if a worm eats a hole in it. The other two make perfect medium sized pink tomatoes. I tend to like pink tomatoes even though it is only the skin that makes them pink . They aren't acidic though. I grew Jaune Flamme' before; it was very productive. Last summer is kind of a blur to me because of the tornado and the heat.

• NancyPlants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helen, thank you for responding so quickly. I added some of your suggestions to my wish list.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...
    Our sweet golden got sick and we nursed her until the vet came yesterday and put her to sleep. She was such a good girl. We are so grateful she wasnt in pain. I'll miss my gardening buddy.

I imagine last summer was a blur for you.
    In that heat when I would grumble to myself about having to go out to water I'd remind myself of you. I dont know how you do it with your water challenges. Hopefully we'll have a kinder summer this year :)
    When do you start your tomatoes indoors? I started mine April 10th last year. Then the soil didnt dry out enough to plant until well into June.

I just used the last fresh tomatoes from 2011. Cant wait for the next harvest. Getting excited!

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Nancy, I'm so sorry about the loss of your Golden. They become such a part of the family.
    Sunny

• helenh
    12 years ago

I have never had a Golden Retriever but I picture a faithful companion good dog when I think of them. I am also sorry for your lost. To me the grief when you lose a dog is just the same as when a friend dies, but you know from the start that you can't have them very long. It is comforting to know you took the best care of them while they were here.

I have not had the urge at all to plant things early this year. I think it is because the weather has been warm enough to go outside. My indoor sowing in Jan. and Feb. has always been cabin fever. I hope I do get in the mood when it is time to plant.

I did order some Surround and Pyola from Gardens Alive while they had the free shipping and sale. I had to order $50 worth; they are not cheap. I am not that sure that Surround works but I am trying not to use chemicals. Surround is just clay. It seemed like it might have discouraged bugs but I didn't do a scientific trial. Pyola is saved for when a plague of bugs hits that I can't handle. Last year it was striped blister beetles.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear about your dog Nancy. That's heartbreaking. I love Golden Retrievers and it would be my first choice if we ever get another dog. They seem to have a gentle soul. Our Shasta is still hanging in there and acts like she feels fine although she probably doesn't. She's gotten wise about my giving her shots so it's getting more difficult to do. I'm going to have to leave it up to the vet.

I like tomatoes occasionally but not really a big fan. I bought Cherokee Purple for my dad to grow and he gave me a few of those. They were darn good. I would rarely eat just a plain tomato but those I liked. My dad loved them and said they tolerated the hot summer better than his others.

• pauln
    12 years ago

When the heat sets in, it seems like the cherries and other small varieties keep setting fruits longer than the big ones. I've had good luck with pink ping pong, black cherry, camp joy (all smallish). I'm a big fan of colors other than pink/red. I tend to grow black/purple/yellow/gold and supplement those with red/pink from the farmer's market. A caprese salad with all of those colors arrayed in a spiral is a sight to behold. I can't wait till June!

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I wish I could give you a definitive answer but I have never felt like I had a good crop of tomatoes in this garden (we moved in 1992). First they had used commercial fertilizer and no mulch and the ground cracked like the Sahara Desert every time it dried out. I have finally gotten much better tilth to the soil but still don't think the tomatoes have been outstanding. Last year I had high hopes but the weather was abysmal so the crop suffered. This will be the year! (spoken like an optimistic gardener every year!)

I do like the yellow cherry tomato I got from Helen several years ago. I think it was Sun Gold; it was super sweet. I also have a black cherry tomato that is good, not as sweet. Both volunteer and do well no matter the conditions.
    I like the heirlooms but don't like how long it takes for them to mature. I have tons of seeds left over and will just plant a variety. I don't start my tomato seeds until the last of March so the plants don't get so leggy.

Not much help to you,sorry.

• helenh
    12 years ago

Update on the order from Gardens Alive. The UPS guy left the package on my step. My truck was parked in the yard and he could have put it in the bed. I was home but didn't hear him. I looked out and saw something strange in the yard. Honey had opened the package and chewed on the contents including chewing the top off of the Pyola which is bug poison. He didn't die, is fine and I didn't kill him, but now I am having my packages delivered to my friend in Joplin.

• sweetwm007
    12 years ago

you might like prudens purple, aunt gertie's gold, dr wyche's yellow and i second cherokee purple. one to talk about is silvery fir tree.
    i ordered 4 grafted tomato plants this yr from territorial seed. they should arrive by the 1st week of may. looking forward to this.
    i will start my tomato seeds the first of march.
    william