Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback33

Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)

razorback33
17 years ago

Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila, var. ozarkensis?

Looking for a few seed to start and eventually plant them in my woodlands.

The nuts seemed to be tastier than the ones producd by the small leaf variety that grows around here or maybe we appreciated them more when we were kids!

Rb

Comments (44)

• silkiemama
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

www.tytyga.com
    Nursery at TyTy, Georgia has Allegheny chinquapins. We live in SE OK and hope to order some of these this year.

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Silkiemama - Welcome to Gardenweb!
    Just wanted to warn you both that TyTy has been talked about a lot. I've seen many negative comments about them, so step lightly if you do decide to order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion about TyTy

• gldno1
    17 years ago

christie, glad you posted this; I thought I had too, but it got lost in never, never land. I would be very hesitant to buy from them. Dave's Gardenwatch doesn't even list them anymore.

I would check with the Better Business Bureau before chancing it.

• razorback33
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks,everyone, for the responses.
    The Allegheny or now called, Common Chinquapin, is readily available from several reputable sources, but it is not as resistant to the Chestnut Blight as the Ozark Chinquapin, according to some published reports.
    As a youngster, I remember collecting Chinquapin nuts to roast and eat, but maybe they have become rare in the Ozarks. There was a report that during the decade of the 1930's, that the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) planted many millions of trees during reforesting projects in Southern Missouri, but not a single one was an Ozark Chinquapin!
    IMO, don't even consider ordering from any nursery with a return address of TY TY, GA. There are many horror stories of dissatisfied customers of the dozens of company names, all operating from the same address there.
    Rb

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Try Pineridge Gardens. They only have plants tho.
    vickie

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineridge Gardens

• JamesY40
    17 years ago

I used to live right across the street from Ty Ty nursery. I never bought any plants from there because I liked the other nursery in Ty Ty better. James

• sweetwm007
    17 years ago

gerald- would love to raise some. send me the info on what i need to do.

william

• razorback33
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gerald....

You have mail.
    Rb

• sweetwm007
    17 years ago

gerald- i hate to tell you this, your nuts are in the soil in a greenhouse!

william

• gerald33
    16 years ago

This is a follow-up from previous posts. I grew up in the SouthWest Missouri Ozarks and well remember the Ozark Chinquapin, the large trees, getting into trouble eating them during school. That is a different story. I was aware to the fact the blight had nearly wiped out the Ozark Chinquapin but was also aware that a few blighted trees still existed. In early 2006 Mr. Robert Barnes contacted me about working with his group in an effort to save the TRUE, not hybrid, Ozark Chinquapin. His group had been working on this project for a few years and had located several blight resistant trees, mostly in SouthWest Missouri. During the fall of 2006 I assisted Mr. Barnes and his associates in collecting seed from these trees. I received approximately 140 seed. They were stratified and when they started to sprout they were planted in pots and some in their permant locations, 18 on an approximate spacing of 16 feet, the remainder were planted in burned brush piles. I also gave seed away to 6 individuals. None performed as well as expected. Those in pots were the worst. It should be noted that the weather was not cooperative in this effort. We had a late, Easter, freeze that killed the sprouted seed back to the ground or killed them outright. During the dry hot summer many died even though they were watered regularly. None grew more than 14 inches tall and the diameter less than 1/4 inch at the base. There were a few that branched. My plans are to take seedlings from the burned piles and transplant to fill the dead trees in orchard. Germination was excellent, about 95 percent. I have had feedback from 4 of the individuals who received seed, their efforts were even worse than mine. Another experiment was conducted in the spring of 2007, scionwood from the best blight resistant tree was grafted onto 3 chinese chestnut trees. These trees were in really bad shape due to the severe ice storm we experienced in January of 2007, some only had stubs where the majority of limbs should have been. On tree nr1 10 grafts were made, 7 took, 3 died after frowing approximately 4 inches, 4 are still alive but stopped growing and lost most of their leaves. On this same stump I grafted 3 chinese chestnuts and all 3 took and grew well, 1 put on 4 ft of growth. Tree nr2 there were 4 grafts placed, none took. On tree nr3 5 grafts were placed, 2 took, unfortunately both on the same limb cut. Both of them have grown in excess of 9, I repeat 9 feet with many side branches. This is the one bright spot of my experiments so far. Experiences with grafting chinese chestnuts in the past have been just about as varied as this. Some will take and do well, others will take, grow a year or two and die, and some will not take at all. Others have also noted this incompatiability. With a little luch there could be nuts here next year, that is the plan for grafting on chinese chestnuts, is to get early production and in a place they can be protected. Repeated planting of blight resistant selections might just result in a completely blight resistant tree, heres hoping. g gardner

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Gerald, Have i understood right? Of the seeds you planted,the ones in the burned wood piles did best.

A couple other questins, Do they do best in shaded woods area or in a cleared area? Do you plant them in spring or fall?

I live on 30 acres in National Forest on top of 2000' mountain in Johnson Co. AR. Hardwood trees,oak,hickory, blackgum cherry and dogwood. Does that sound like a good natural area to grow them? If so I'm interested in trying to grow some.
    vickie

• pauln
    16 years ago

I've seen chinquapins growing on harsh boney hilltops, and rich north face slopes, so it seems they're not too picky as to locations. I assume they would grow best with a good amount of light, and fruiting would be better. Of course, they will need to be watered well until they get established.

I planted one purchased from Pine Ridge Gardens (allegeny chinquapin) and it has thrived in a new bed I put in this year. It gets about half sun. Who knows when and if it will ever bear, and how I'll keep the critters off of it whenever this happens.

I've never tasted a chinquapin. I did buy some chestnuts last winter and made a cream of chestnut soup with shitake mushrooms from a recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon's Book "Soup and Bread something something". It was EXCELLENT, but a rather tedious effort involving roasting and peeling the chestnuts, then pureeing and adding to crimini mushroom stock. It was definately a do-over recipe whenever cold weather hits and the chestnuts become available.

• gerald33
    16 years ago

Will try again. This forum is confusing to use. I previously tried to post an answer and it just disappeared.
    In response to questions. Yes I think a burned brush pile is the best place to start them, for one thing the soil is sterlized and very few weeds will compete with the trees. They were planted is a semi-shaded area, large oaks to the South pretty well kept the hot afternoon sun off them. They were planted in the early spring just as they germinated, seeds were kept in plastic bags in refg until they showed signs of sprouting. They should do just fine in your area. I have 30 acres in some rough land in Barry County with the same type trees, I found some chinquapin trees but they were small due to being shaded by the much larger trees. I checked chinquapin trees in the area and all are barren due to the late Easter freeze (18 deg F).

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenwel

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Thanks gerald, i'll get in touch next year. I work to keep my woods as natural as possible and the ozark chinkapin would make a good addition. I tried growing a chestnut tree but it got about 3' high and quit growing for 8 yrs and finally died.
    vickie

• mingoman
    16 years ago

Hi gerald, I would like to plant a few chinkapins also. I have several American Chestnuts from the ACCF at Virginia Tech that are growing & wanted to try the native to AR chinkapin. I had to put a heavy mulch on the chestnuts this year & haul water all summer but still managed to get one about 3 feet tall. I also planted several hundred swamp chestnut, chinkapin, shumard oaks & black walnuts in an old pasture that did surprisingly well considering I couldn't water them through the drought. If you get any extra seed keep me in mind. Thanks

• letemgrow
    16 years ago

Hello Gerald,

I am looking for some ozark chinquapin seeds also. I received 3 from the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation and am looking for about 10 more if you have any left.

Thanks again,

phil

• quercus_macrocarpa
    16 years ago

Gerald,

Will you have any available again this year?

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

gerald- an update on what you sent to me. out of 8 seeds 7 rooted well in pots. transplanted all after the late freeze here this spring. so far only one has survived and it is only a ft tall. still think its going to make it.

thanks once again.

william

• gerald33
    16 years ago

Sorry for not responding to those inquiries, I do not visit as often as should. There will not be any seed available from this area this year, we had a hard Easter freeze that wiped out the crop. My seedlings planted last spring only did fair. I will be transplanting several in their permant location this spring. I am looking for scion wood from blight resistant trees from a different area to cross with the one I have. I will be grafting onto a chinese chestnut that will accept the scions without rejection. I hope to have nuts in 3, at the most 4 years. This is a long term project. Keep tuned.

• gerald33
    15 years ago

6/15/08 Ozark Chinquapin update. Experiment is going well. All the seed planted last year survived and growing well. I didnot transplant any seedlings. Grafts and budding on one special chinese chestnut tree did exceptionally well. The grafts that grew to over 9 feet bloomed and have nuts forming at this time, probably over 200. I received a small number of seed from an Oklahoma source and have planted a few seedlings. Was unable to obtain any reliable scion wood to graft for cross pollination of the one I now have and it will be at least 2 years for the new selection to be large enough to graft. I hope to have seed available this fall, will also have a failsafe method of raising seedlings. Grafting was done using the bark inlay and simple cleft, both work well despite what the experts say about the bark inlay. Budding is also easy, I used the "T" bud and chip bud (for the first time). Belive the "T" should be inverted. In chip budding I used dormant wood and forced immediately, in 10 days buds had broken, some even produced pollen and small inmature nuts. Caution, most chinese chestnuts are incompatiable with the Ozark Chinquapin but a few are. Experimant

• johnmcafee_99
    15 years ago

Are we talking about an Oak trees or Chestnut trees?

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

John, they are related to the Chestnut, Castanea ozarkensis. 50 some years ago they were common in Northwest Arkansas. Then the blight almost wiped them out. Small nuts, but very tasty.

• bluesky_girl
    15 years ago

Gerald
    I'm interested in getting some seed this fall if available. Please keep me posted. How much room does a chinquapin need ?

Margie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I wanted to post a link here for Ozark Chinquapin Foundation and also ask if anyone knows when they start harvesting the seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozarkchinquapin.com

• letemgrow
    15 years ago

Hello Gerald,
    I am looking for some ozark chinquapin seeds also. I received 3 from the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation and am looking for about 10 more if you have any left.

Thanks again,

phil

• gerald33
    14 years ago

If all goes well should have limited Ozark Chinquapin seed available this fall. Graft on Chinese Chestnut still doing well, had a good crop last year and appears there will be more this. Seedlings are only doing fair, best one that is 3 years old is about 5 1/2 ft with several branches. Japanese beetle has been a problem this year. There are a few 3 year seedlings available but you have to dig(when dormant). Planted seed of chinese chestnut that is compatiable with chinquapin, may be able to graft next spring, they are doing well, much better than seed of chinquapin planted at the same time. Interested in hearing from those who have received seed.
    g gardner

• plantloverla
    14 years ago

Gerald...I have property in Jasper, Arkansas, Newton County. I would love to grow some Ozark Chinquagpin trees/ My grandfather picked chinquapin acorns in Mississippi and taught me how to eat them..they were great! I haven't seen any chinquapin trees in this area in a long, long time. Could you let me know if you still have some seeds? I don't see an email address for you????

• roweaway
    12 years ago

Hello Gerald:
    I also am interested in some Ozark Chinquagpin seeds if you have any left... I'm located in Hackett, AR. .. that's south of Fort Smith about 10 miles and have over thirty acres to try on.. if you can find any extra seeds please contact me
    Thank You
    rowecarter@hotmail.com

• letemgrow
    12 years ago

Any seeds/seedlings going to be available this spring? The foundation did not have any last I checked.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Mama Jean's Market in Springfield has raw chestnuts right now that say they were grown in southwest Missouri. I assume a person could plant them. I don't know if they're Ozark Chinkapin. Likely not?

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Well I cut into a few of the chestnuts and they were moldy inside. : ( I'm glad I didn't get very many.

• GraceNmercy
    11 years ago

Hey Gerald...how are the chinkapin coming along? I recently came across the Ozark chinquapin website and did a lot more research on the trees and was surprised to find out that east TX was part of it's former range...from it's name I though it was actually an Ozark native. I sent a message to OCF on getting involved and perhaps doing some collaborations in the future to get more trees planted. I still have yet to hear back from them but I just sent the message a day or two ago. We recently did an experimental planting of American chestnuts in Frankston, TX where youth ages 10 - 16 learned about various trees including chestnuts and alleghany chinquapin from TPWD biologist and Texas Forest Service foresters. The American Chestnut foundation donated 20 chestnut trees which the kids planted on 33 acres in northeast TX. Had I know more about the Ozark Chinquapin I would have gotten with the OCF to help get the word out much sooner. I hope we can collaborate on some more youth events in the future to help establish the trees back into east TX, but for the time being I am also trying to get a few nuts or seedlings to plant in the area where we planted the chestnut trees. If you get any more available this fall keep me posted...and keep us updated on your projects.

This post was edited by GraceNmercy on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 17:27

• Happygirl24
    10 years ago

Gerald33- if you are still monitoring this thread, I would love to talk with you about getting some Ozark Chinquapin seed. My grandmother introduced me to Chinquapins when I was little. She died this year at age 100. My husband and I would like to plant some of these in memory of her. We have been talking for awhile about planting some endangered/threatened plant species on our place in Delaware County, Oklahoma and this just seems like the perfect fit for us. We have a small orchard so hopefully that experience will be helpful in caring for the Chinquapins. I've emailed the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully you (or someone else out there) can help me with this project. Thanks in advance!

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

Ozark Chinquapin Foundation
    PO Box 1133
    Salem, MO 65560

stvbost@yahoo.com

I have emailed them with no response, so I'm thinking the best way is to mail them, but they give away acorns for free or tiny donation.

• Moozark
    10 years ago

Are the seeds still available?
    Please ship me some to
    Jeff Weaver
    525 West Congress
    Pacific, Mo 63069
    If they are available please let me know and I will be more than happy to come to you to pick them up. I have had no luck contacting anyone through the Ozark Chinquapin foundation website.
    I would appreciate an email from anyone and everyone with any information pertaining to the ozark chestnut tree
    Jeff.michael.weaver@gmail.com

• bluesky_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Jeff,
    Steve Bost contacted me in the late fall and sent me seeds in December. You have to be patient. This is not his day job.

He won't send seeds in the mail while the temps are freezing and you might have missed the window of opportunity for those this year anyway. They need to be cold stratified for a number of months before they break dormancy. Mine have been in the frig since December. They still show no signs of sprouting but given the weather conditions this year, that is okay if they take their time.

I do not know if their foundation offers plants in the spring. That might be your best bet now if they do.

Margie

• GraceNmercy
    10 years ago

I recently saw where someone was selling OC seedlings on eBay but they were pretty expensive ($30 for 3 seedling + $10.50 shipping). I wouldn't spend that but I guess it depends on how bad you want them. I think I'll just wait until I can get with Steve or find another source to plant a few amongst the Allegheny chinquapin and American chestnuts on our project site up in northeast TX.

• bluesky_girl
    10 years ago

Here's another thought for Jeff.
    I have 3-4 seeds in the frig (I can't tell how many are bagged up in the peat moss.) . I only have space for 2 trees so if more than 2 germinate, I'd be glad to share the extras. Since you live so close to St Louis, it wouldn't be hard to do an exchange.

• arksam
    9 years ago

Would like to get a few ozark chinquapin seed if any is available

• bluesky_girl
    9 years ago

2 of the 3 seeds germinated and I have 2 tree seedlings now. One looks a bit sickly. I'm going to see if they survive this winter before declaring the germination a success.

arksam - did you try this website ? This is where I got my seeds from. http://www.ozarkchinquapin.com/

Marge

• Ed Walsh
    8 years ago

western nc here

seeking ozark chinquapin seeds

thanks!

edwardwalsh@yahoo.com

• mcbcoc
    8 years ago

Gerald, I am looking for Ozark Chinquepin seedlings or saplings. Please email me

at mcbcoc@cablelynx.com with any information you have concerning chinquepins.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

If you join the foundation for $30 they will send you acorns and you will help to re-establish this great tree in the Ozarks

send here:

Ozark Chinquapin Foundation
    PO Box 1133
    Salem, MO 65560

Like Bookmark September 3, 2013 at 10:51AM