Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

What did you do today?

helenh
15 years ago

I got two loads of manure in my little pick up. Now I am going to pick up limbs.

Comments (9)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Wish I could report that I finished planting some seed and bulbs, but....
    Had one of those 24-hour virus things and spent the day recuperating. Finally able to eat crackers and drink some chicken broth late this evening.
    Maybe tomorrow will be a better day!
    Rb

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Before I went to work today, I picked up all the ripe mangoes that had fallen off the tree overnight and took them to work to give away...It's a bit early here for my tree to have fruited, but it did, and there's so much I can't keep up with them.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Milked the cow....that was about it outside.

It was doctor day for DH and then visited the in-laws so that took care of yesterday.

I did finish up my garden seed order to Pinetree...hope that is the last.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Worked.
    After that I finished up rewiring an installing my new kitchen overhead lights and 3-way switches. (insert she punches arm into the air)!
    Then relaxed an looked through the new Parks catalog that came in the mail this week.

Helen, sounds like you were garden productive.

Rb, hope you feel better real soon. Some of my family have told me they had that as well. Didn't sound real good.

Gldno1, hope all went well at the Dr. P have been looking at Pinetree also.

Missfourseasons, mango!!

Well everyone enjoy this last warm day (50's). The cold that is to be here tonight is supposed to be very cold before it is done. I know they said earlier in the week we could maybe get some ice out of this one. I need to check an see if that is still true. Better go run to the market an p/u milk etc.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I didn't get to spend much time outside either but it sure felt good out there. Yucky forecast for Monday and Tuesday. Hope they change their mind before it gets here.

RB - I feel for you. I've had that twice this winter but I think at least one of the times may have been my peanut butter granola bars. Be sure to watch the recalls.

I bet fresh mangos are much better than the ones we get in grocery stores here. Is that one you will miss?
    I haven't gotten a Parks Catalog yet. I got one from Harris this week and have been looking through that.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Bonnie, congrats on the kitchen rewiring project. I know just how you feel..been there and done that.

Dr. was just an annual thing post heart attack. They did schedule a nuclear stress test for Feb. 3....that should tell us how all the arteries are doing! He feels good and has no problems.

I have never tasted a mango! Are the ones here any good?

We just got back from Bolivar...a trip for DH's license and stopped by their W-M to pick up some things in case we should get the freezing rain thing. Let's hope not.

Christie, I have had bad luck with Park Seed for a while now and just use their catalog for reference...the list in the middle of how to plant various seeds is very helpful.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope you are feeling better razorback. I pray I don't get any more bugs. When I do my mother catches them. We are regulars at the emergency room. Bonnie,I am very impressed with your knowing how to put in a new light and switch. I usually depend on men for that; I watch and some of it seems doable. I just don't have the confidence to try. My sister once cut a hole in her roof and put in a skylight. She is more daring than I. The days are so short you kind of have to drop everything on a warm day and go outside or you miss out.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I had a bit of bad luck with their seed also. I just like to look at a the different variety of things. an Keep up on some info.
    I keep several seed catalogs just for the information they have in them.

I did miss out on the out doors. But the light had to be done. I had been using a lamp in the kitchen for over a week.
    This was one of those times I had someone else look at it. Well he left it in worse shape than it was to begin with. Oh well. funny sort of. B/c I asked someone to run new telephone wire from the box to both phone jacks. I did this b/c I know nothing about phone wires. For some reason they get me all mixed up. Any hoo. I was busy when he said he was done. I went oout that evening to take out the trash. There was only a very short piece of wire in there. He left all the old wire hanging on the house, an just left the new wire dangling by the old wire. Soooo I have a job to do when we get another nice day an I have the time. Lesson learned. I gave him my ladder to use and he still walked all over my foxglove. At least everything else is down for the winter. The bright side is my phone and computer have quit cutting in an out.
    I'm off to start up the fireplace. stay warm everyone.
    Bonnie

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Bonnie... Congratulations! You're hired!
    You probably did a better job than any licensed electrician that I have ever encountered. Most do a very sloppy job. Hurry up and run!
    Had to upgrade my service about 5 years ago and the power co. required a licensed electrician to do the work, since the weatherhead, meter loop and distribution panel was to be replaced. What a joke that was! Some of his work had to be redone 3 times to comply with local codes.Once the power co. accepted the power loop to the distribution panel (they are only responsible for that part), I fired the jerk and finished the work myself. He got mad and cancelled the permit and said I would never get a county inspector to approve my work. Heh-Heh! Once he cancelled the permit, they weren't required to perform an inspection!

Telephone wiring connections are simple, They are low voltage (max 48 volts, direct current) (DC). Just don't handle with wet hands or stand in a puddle of water and you shouldn't feel a thing. Red & Blue are the primary wires. Keep the colors straight and splice by twisting wires together and secure with a small wire-nut. Keep the splices protected from the weather to avoid corrosion.
    After you finish the rewiring operation, if you have a Touch-Tone keypad and you can't break dial-tone to place a call, you will need to reverse the Red & Blue wires, as the keypads are polarity (+ & -) sensitive. Even though you have observed correct color while splicing, there may be a reversal in a connection along the cable line somewhere. It happens!
    Have fun!
    Rb