Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Winter greens

mulberryknob
15 years ago

I'm trying something different this year. Usually I don't turn the heating cable under my plant bench on until midFeb when I start the snap peas. But this year, thanks to the deer and weather there is not a leaf of green in the garden, unlike some past years when I picked spinach in Jan. So this year I have already turned on the heating cable and the light and I now have lettuce, radish, cabbage, and cress up and out of the flats. Spinach is still to go in, had to buy seed. I am hoping to get enough greens in a month to start picking a bit for salads. The plant bench is on a glassed in porch that I try to keep around 35-40 min overnight as I have house plants out there. Wish I knew how to post a pic, but y'all are gardeners. Imagine little green plants coming up out of the flats.

Comments (5)

• helenh
    15 years ago

A glassed in porch would be wonderful. My sister lives in N. California. They have a sun room and go out there to have breakfast. It is wonderful in winter to get some sun. My sister hired a guy to frame it and put a roof on to match the house. They did the sides sliding glass doors all around. It doesn't get really cold there but they do have winter. I am not a builder and the sun rooms I priced were too high for me.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

aww I can see it now. : )
    That will be great. You get to have fresh veggies!
    I think a sun room would be wonderful.
    Oh the possibilities... oh well a girl a dream.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Oh yes, a dream: A sun porch or an attached greenhouse!

My sis in Iowa had a sun porch built last year. They practically live in it. It is up high so they can look down over the river valley and watch the deer and turkeys. She has all her plants in it.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I'm picturing green leaves. : ) Sounds like a wonderful winter project.
    I'm jealous of your sunroom. I have mine planned out in my head. We don't have a formal dining room and I'd love to have the extra space when company/family visits. I could put patio furniture out there and would have built in shelves for plants. I've never checked to see what it would cost but I'm sure it's outside our budget. Sounds like your sister has a great view Gld.

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We built ours around a bunch of storm windows and 2 doors that we bought for $50.00 20 years ago. Our older son was 18 then and he and DH built it themselves. I believe it cost $2,000. (I doubt if anyone could do it that cheaply now.) It has a floor of plywood which I faux painted to look like tile and is 10x16. It faces east with plant benches on the east and south walls under the windows.

We don't do a lot of living in it, although I do have my morning tea out there when it's warm enough. The main function it serves for us is storage space. The woodbox is out there along with a cabinet that I store garden catalogs in. There's an extra refrigerator and a microwave and a rocking chair. And that about fills it up. When we built it I imagined a table and chairs out there but there just wasn't room after I put in the plant benches--and the plants come first at my house.

The roof is solid--not glass or plastic like a greenhouse or sunroom--and this past spring we had the old plywood decking and shingles pulled off as we had leaks and replaced it with a metal roof. We hired that done and it added $1200 to the cost.
    Our current project is a greenhouse in the garden. We have more cheap windows to use for the sidewalls and will buy twinwall for the roof. I'm eager to get it. Projected done date is next Oct. We're going to build it ourselves. Happy gardening to all.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County