Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

What house plants do you grow?

helenh
15 years ago

I like succulents because I don't take good care of house plants. Sometimes when I remember to water them, they die.

Comments (5)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I am the worst with house plants.......I finally bought a Mother-in-law's tongue because I knew I couldn't kill it, I have a philodendron, a spider plant (I put on the porch each summer); another succulent, aloe vera, a very sorry African Violet and one thing I am proud of, an amaryllis. My sis gave it to me three years ago and I just let it go dormant the first year and then brought it back into the house and watered it , and it grew...just no bloom. Following her advice, I planted it outside last summer; lifted it and brought it in before it froze and I have a bloom, with two more buds.
    All these are clickables.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Your Amaryllis is beautiful Gld.
    I only have a couple houseplants, one is a peace lily, spath of some sort, and I've forgotten the name of the other. Neither one looks good enough to display in public. lol

I have a couple annuals that I bring in for the winter. I think this is at least the third winter for my jasmine sambac 'Maid of Orleans'. It lost its leaves when I brought it in this fall and is still struggling. I also brought in my Plectranthus (Mona Lavender) again. It made it through the winter easily last year.

My daught LOVES those little mini cactus plants they sell at Walmart and Lowe's but she hasn't had much luck keeping them alive.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the bright red flower. I forgot and let my amaryllis freeze, but I don't have a good place for them anyway. I took pictures of my window sill plants the poor little things need fertilizer. My camera is putting the wrong date for some reason.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

That is a wonderful amaryllis.
    I have never had one of those. Thought they were always so pretty.
    any sort of cacti and I do not get along. My mother had a few when we were growing up. I got into a big one out doors on time on was having tiny thorns dug out for weeks.
    Nope I will just look at those from wayyyyy across the room. lol.
    I keep year around an dracaena. That my son had given me for mothers day a few years ago. they had three large plants in one gallon tub. This year I took the tops off and started new plants and now have eight plants. I really like they way they look year around. I Have a philo that i take in an out with the seasons. I brought in a geranium an a mandevilla. I also brought in about 8-10 begonia plants. I think I am down to 6-7. I had trouble with them holding too much moisture. I finally changed out the soil and they did fine after that and started blooming.
    Africian violet used to be a favorite of mine. I have not grown one of those for years. I may need to try tat one again. Would do well in my kitchen window.
    christie when mine get to looking too bad I move them to a room where no one but me can see them. I get embarrassed if they start looking too bad. Yes I know it's strange but can't help it.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Bonnie - you made me think of my grandmother. She liked African Violets and had a few under a grow light of some sort I remember.
    I jealous of that deep window sill. I don't have a good place for houseplants.