Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

hummingbird show

helenh
14 years ago

On PBS Nature. I have Dish and it repeats on Tuesday if you didn't watch Sunday.

Comments (6)

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The show is 4 am on Tues. and 10 am next Sunday. It is on all kinds most aren't native here but I liked it.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Thanks Helen! I'll set it up to record. Does it talk about plants very much?

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is not a local thing. It is on all types of hummingbirds all over the world. Plant adaptations or hummingbirds adapting to plants is covered but it isn't going to tell you what to plant in your yard. It covers their bright iridescent colors and shows show motion of them catching insects.

• peggiewho
    14 years ago

I saw the special and really enjoyed it. They showed Anna's hummingbird mating display which we have experienced here. They also showed a test how Anna's can keep up with a moving feeder. Now I know why getting an adult hummer out of our shop is an all day affair. As to plants, I came across a lively discussion from April about hummingbird feeder solutions. In the middle of the thread there is a list % of nectar in various plants. The post was by penny1947 and the plant list is by Nancy Newfield: Hummingbird Bander. The special has a piece showing her banding Ruby Throated hummers. I think they are your local birds. I am looking for new plants for my guys. I don't know what zone the plants in the list are for but I intend to look them up and see what I can use. I am supporting several adults now. Some of them get very dirty and have to bath in the fountain. I personally don't think that is sensible behavior in the winter time.
    My compost pile is full of fruit flies but I have never seen the hummingbirds eating bugs there. The special shows how they catch bugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nectar Plants

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will have to make a clipping of those posts although I don't get that technical. I did enjoy the show and compared to the foolishness on Wisteria Lane at least you can learn something from it. I saw that packaged hummingbird food at the feed store today. They didn't sell it last summer and it is still out. They will sell to someone this coming year or next if it doesn't sell. It is probably just sugar which won't go bad, but I wouldn't feed it. I got 150 pounds of black oil sf seed and dogs and cats trained to sit under my feeders.

• peggiewho
    14 years ago

No I don't get too technical either. I am just thinking if I try new plants they might as well be crowd pleasers. I seemed to have had all baby hummers last summer. I don't know were the mammas were. I had bunny tail ornamental grass. DH saw a baby hummer try it and it was not good for sitting on and it didn't taste good either. So rather then have any more disappointments here I thought I'd look for goodies for the locals.
    Helenh, Do you have any birds that bark?