Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

what are you planting now?

helenh
15 years ago

Posy pet asked this on the ice storm thread. I am going to winter sow something tomorrow just for mental health. I have been pinching the tops off my coleus and putting the cuttings in water bottles on window sills. I put an envelope in the mailbox today to Trudi on the seed exchange for the tomato SASE offer.

Comments (11)

• pauln
    15 years ago

I've got some heirloom mader seeds here and plan on planting them this weekend. Just put in another order for mader seeds yesterday, along with some herbs and peppers. I've got 4 peat pot trays with 72 slots each. That should be plenty for my friends and folks. Planted some parsley a couple of weeks ago, but it was old seed, and I don't think it's gonna come up. I know it takes them a while to germinate, but maybe I'll be suprised.

I brought in some basil and mint plants from the yard in autumn, and they've been under my lights all winter. They'll have to be moved to make way for the seedlings. When I potted them up with some compost I had several tomato seeds sprout and they are looking good. I figure those tomatoes will be cherries, but since most of the tomatoes that I composted last summer where open-pollinated, they may actually come up resembling their parents, which will be fun to watch when they start bearing.

I hope everybody has power and climate control. I talked to some folks in Fayetteville today, and things seem pretty bleak up there. On a happier note, the winter jasmine and winter honeysuckle are blooming here. I figure witch hazel is also perfuming the creeks in the hills on the warmer days. My daffodils are showing flower buds. I give them a couple of weeks till they start their show. I'm probably a couple of weeks ahead of most of y'all, but it won't be long until things start popping out.

"A tree does not die in winter; nor is it resurrected in spring. It waits." Herman Hesse

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have thought about growing parsley as an ornamental. I can hardly wait for the beginnings of spring. I like winter honeysuckle because it keeps blooming on and off as you get warm spells.

• beerhog
    15 years ago

Not really planting so much. Busy mulching and moving rose bushes and thinning out brugs that are to big for their spots. Can not wait until the bananas and elephant ears can go back out.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I will be starting cabbage, parsley, onion and broccoli seeds in a week or so. I will clean up the flats and fill them these next warm days.

I hope Pinetree sends my order soon. It has my cabbage seeds on it.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I pushed a few black oil sunflower seeds in the edge of my pot of daylilies to see if they would germinate....they did.
    Just for fun, I will be planting some to see if they will make flower heads for the birds this summer.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Are you all starting under lights, in coldframes, greenhouses or where? I have winter sowed 207 perennial flowers in various containers.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I am starting mine so far under plant lights. I have a stand on the back porch that holds 12 flats. I use the top of the light fixture if I need bottom warmth for a flat.

I hope you will keep us posted on the winter sowing project.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I started a few winter sown containers after Christmas and haven't done any since. I need to get busy.

Proudgm - Wow! 207! You started a lot last year too if I remember right. This summer you will be reaping the rewards of all those flowers you winter sowed last year. It'll be beautiful. I sure would like to hear what does well for you and what doesn't. Maybe a few photos hint hint. : )

• JamesY40
    15 years ago

I'm waiting another week or so to start seeds. I have several varieties of tomatoes and peppers I plan to start as well as cosmos, marigolds, agathache and eggplant. James

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I got 14 container winter sown.
    Also some daylilies.
    Will try to get to my onions this week as well.
    Everyone sounds like they are ready for spring.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had to buy some seed starting mix a small bag because my big bag of potting mix is frozen solid. I am going to plant something tonight. Looked in my seed drawer and astonished myself. I don't need to buy more seed. If you like tomatoes, Go to the Oklahoma forum and click exchanges in small letters at the top.