Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Cedar Waxwings visited us.

mulberryknob
15 years ago

Today as I stood at the kitchen window looking at the bird feeder and waterer in the front yard, I saw cedar waxwings begin to visit the waterer. At one time 6 were lined up on the rim of the waterer. Then they flew and more arrived and so on for several minutes. They did not visit the feeder, only the waterer. Don't know what they are eating. One year I saw a flock of them working the hackberrys but by now the tree is pretty well bare. It was neat to see them, with their little yellow striped tails and black masked faces.

Comments (6)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I have seen them before in a little flock; they move on. Their feathers are so neat looking.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I still have never seen one in my yard. My hackberries are too far from the house to monitor and my service berries are too small to make many berries. I hope when those get bigger, I'll get to see waxwings.
    My viburnum dentatum is still loaded with berries. I didn't expect them to last this long.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

christie, I would love to see a picture of your viburnum dentatum if you get the time.

I would be thrilled to see the Cedar Waxwings here, but never have.

BTW, I just bought 20 lbs of wild bird seed at the MFA in Ash Grove and paid $7.25 for it which makes it the cheapest so far. I does seem light on BO Sunflower seeds though.

• pauln
    15 years ago

Cedar waxwings are probably my favorite bird. I used to live in a tiny cottage that had 2 huge yaupon hollies loaded with berries. The robins and mockingbirds didn't take much interest in the berries until the waxwings would start to show up. They would stand guard as the visitors gathered on the powerline. Finally, one waxwing would fly down to the yaupon and draw the guard away. The others would then all swoop down and start their feeding frenzy. After a day or two, the berries would be completely gone.

Once, I happened to look outside to see an amazing sight. The waxwings were covering my yaupon, and flying down in a vortex to a nandina bush under the tree. It looked like a cedar waxwing tornado.

Now, since I've moved, my yaupons are much smaller so I don't notice any hoards of waxwings doing their business. I usually see them now whenever I hear their mournful song. I'll look up in the bare trees and sure enough I'll see a flock of them. Often this time of year I can also see them doing a little dance right off of the treetops. I think they are eating gnats or some flying insect.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

paul, how lucky you were to have had that many. I just want to see one here!

I knew the mocking birds would do that but didn't know robins would.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I would love to see that. Sounds like something that would be on a nature show.

I haven't checked my Chicago Luster for a few days to see if the berries are still there. It isn't planted very close to the house so I think when the birds do finally decide to eat them, I will miss it.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022