Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

starting salvia from seed

sweetwm007
16 years ago

my wife had very good results with purchased red salvia plants last yr. i was wondering if you start them from seeds like tomatoes? about 8 wks before the last frost date? will bottom heat help germination? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

william

Comments (8)

• mulberryknob
    16 years ago

William, I started Salvia from seed a few years ago--with bottom heat. As I recall the seed was very very small and I think it took longer than 8 weeks for them to reach transplanting size. I only did it once as I don't have room to do many ornamentals. My plant starting bench is tied up with sugar snap peas, broccoli, and tomatoes in the spring.

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Has anyone seen the salvia called "hot lips"? only place I've seen it is in Territorial, as a plant, but its so different! description is bi-color of snowwhite, with a crimson kisser, stretches 36" tall and wide, sneers at heat, drought, and deer dont like it, really pretty.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the replies.

ceresone- the hot lips salvia has a small story behind the introduction. i did some research on it after you posted. wish you wouldn't do that!
    it came from mexico by a housekeeper of a guy that works at an arboretum in calif. they propagated and released it in 2002. they say it will only handle temps down to 20. territorial has a good price. i checked some other sites and they were 3 times as much. normally territorial is more costly on seeds.

william

• JamesY40
    16 years ago

I will be starting salvia 'evolution' this year as recommended by gldno1. I was thinking about placing the seed in a damp paper towel to sprout, then transplanting it into pots. Is the seed too small to do this?
    James

• gldno1
    16 years ago

James I wouldn't be worried about sowing it directly on the soil. I have never had a problem with them sprouting. I think they would be much too tiny and would be damaged by the towel method. Be sure to cover the flat or container with plastic until they sprout. This will hold in moisture and you shouldn't have to water until they are up well and then I would water from the bottom until the plants are a good size.

• JamesY40
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I hope I'm not too late in starting these. James

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Just curious, have any of you checked out the winter sowing forum and the seed exchange forum?

• gldno1
    16 years ago

I haven't lately. I tried a few years ago the winter sowing technique and it was not successful for me. I know I should have given it another try, but didn't.

I will check out the seed exchange today.