Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm Doing a Lavender Happy Dance!!!

Posted by missfourseasons (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 5:18

Believe it or not (and I am not quite believing it yet), but I have a bunch of lavender seedlings starting....I threw the seeds into a pot and with my bad track record I was just hoping for the best... So far, so good! It's the best I've been able to manage so far with this stupid plant!

Now the true test... will I kill them gain? Stay tuned...that is yet to be seen ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm Doing a Lavender Happy Dance!!!

Yipee! Take good care of them. Are you growing them inside or outside?
I haven't grown lavender from seed, just plants. I've collected seeds from mine a couple times but never did anything with them. I love lavender though. It blooms a long time and attracts butterflies pretty good. I should try to collect seeds again this summer.

o

Find a hot, dry place and mix in sand with the soil. They must have good drainage and keep leaves and mulch away from them. All this is from a person who over the years has only been able to grow one healthy lavender and it died last year after a severe pruning! I planted another right beside it....keeping my fingers crossed. My seed is still in the frig....packet said to chill. I have never done that before and am thinking about getting it out now.
Why would a Mediterranean plant need winter chilling?

o

Someone on another forum could grow lavender and not monarda; my monarda trys to take over. I thought when I read that - it is hard to fight your climate.

o

I have them outside, Christie. I should have done a pot for the inside, which is cooler because of the air con, but the cat would have killed them for sure...

Gladno: Thank you so much for the advice. I know exactly where they should go now. My new question is, can use beach sand and should I wash out the salt or just leave it? Not really sure what "acqualine" soil is...but it sounds salty :) All I know is that it's poor soil and right now they have sprouted in a pot of Miracle Grow potting soil. I know I'm going to have to "dirty" that up somehow...

o

I would probably wash the sand.

o

There are lists of "salt tolerant plants" on the internet. I looked at a couple and didn't see lavender listed. I agree you should rinse the sand. Do you think your soil is salty also? Maybe that's why you're having trouble growing it.

It might help to grow it in a raised bed or a container.

o

Lavender does not like acid soil I've read. Are you saying your soil is alkaline or are you trying to make it more alkaline for the lavender? Egg shells slowly make the soil more alkaline. I would leave it in the soil less mix in a pot. I can't grow lavender either, but I chalk it up to climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here