Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Role Call

gldno1
16 years ago

Please everybody check in today. I know the storms last night must have been awfully close to some of you. I pray you are all safe.

For once, it missed us....all we got was rain, rain, and more rain.

Comments (22)

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Thats what I was wondering too--all our Arkansae friends, please check in.
    Tornadoes in Howell Co. sirens in town went off, but looks as if everything is alright on the farm, havent been out yet tho. Took my battery-back up out on my computer.
    Heard Gassville, Ark was hit bad--

• kaye
    16 years ago

We stayed under a tornado warning for most of the afternoon..but only got rain and wind. Most of the damage seemed to happen further east.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

a lot of rain and high gusts. that storm was moving fast. we are about 10- 13 miles from gassville. i am going to ride over there before lunch and will try to take some pics.

william- in yellville

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

We were under a warning all day also, but the nearest tornados were several miles from us. We are in northwest Newton County, and there was a report of a tornado on the ground in southeast Newton County. I haven't heard anything about that on this morning's news. The one at Gassville is well to the east of us. It is in the area known locally as 'tornado alley'.

We have a light covering of snow this morning, with more in the forecast. It is very windy also.

Marian-in Compton

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

Yes, pray every one is well this a.m. Going to watch for your pics william. We just had wind and rain here. Just north of I-44 jasper co. little snow this morning. winter weather all day is what they say. Keep warm everyone.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Glad you started this post. I was wondering too. I was trying to remember if anyone lived near Gassville or Atkins. I can't imagine the shock of seeing only a foundation where a home used to be.

We got LOTS of rain in a very short time and was so glad to see that our basement was still dry after driving through flooded roads to get home. No tornadoes here though thankfully.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

gassville is a disaster area. a lot of damage. i heard that at least 3 people lost their lives. really bad.

william

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just saw that 49 people were killed in Ark, Tn, Ky and Ga. I just cringe when these warning come on.....that one that hit us and took out the barn made a real believer of us.

Glad to hear you all are safe.

• JamesY40
    16 years ago

We were spared any damage in Ft Smith. Just a thundershower.
    James

• oakleif
    16 years ago

We had thunderstorms all afternoon. Went to vote abt 5:30 PM and ran into heavy rain and some hail before we got there. All electricity went off and got to vote in the dark with one flashlight available. (They had backup power for voting computer) All is well here.
    We had a light covering of snow also.
    Kaye, glad you checked in.
    vickie

• missfourseasons
    16 years ago

Glad to hear everyone's ok...That was a bad one!

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Deafblossom - Aren't you in Mtn View? Did you have a lot of damage there?

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Christie, that was me wondering about deafblossom.She does live in Mt View. A hospital was damaged there but no one hurt.
    vickie

• old_man_by_the_sea
    16 years ago

Hope you don't mind my posting here, but I have a number of relatives in Mtn View and surrounding area and so far I haven't heard from any of them. One that I stay in contact with, works for AETV at the KEMV/6 transmitter location near Fox. I have had no response from my email to him, but this could be his week off and won't get messages until he returns to next shift.
    I'm glad to hear that damage was minimal there and no fatalities. It's bad that the Hospital was damaged, which sounded strange to me, because when I lived there many years ago, there was no Hospital!
    Thanks.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

They may still have power lines down since you have not been able to get through. This article says there were 22 homes destroyed in Mtn View, and about the same number were damaged. Here's a link to another article. Hope you're able to get through to your relatives soon. You might be able to contact them through the Red Cross.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain View Survivors Rebuild Their Lives

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Oops - I meant to provide a link to this article too that talks about the homes and businesses being destroyed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain View loses hospital to tornado

• old_man_by_the_sea
    16 years ago

Thanks for the links, christie
    They confirmed that there was a fatality there, but no name
    I pulled a satellite image of the area where the Hospital is located, but it was a cached photo and didn't show the recent damage.
    Guess I will wait to hear from the relatives and hope for the best. Understand most of the damage was near the Hospital, which I found from the images, is 2 miles east of the courthouse and don't think any of my folks live in that area, but some may work there.
    Thanks again!

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Thanks for the links Christie, Now i will rant. I'm fully irratated at the news media. All i heard was a hospital was damaged and nothing from our local tv station chanel 5. This is not right. Mt. Home is as important as Atkins. There was a tornado in Texas, where my nephew lived and not a word about it either. Grrrrrrr. If it was'nt for this forum, we'd probably not know what was going on.
    I'm through now.
    vickie

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Ok i've heard from deafblossom and feel better now. She's fine. The tornado hit about a mile from her and electricity was off for a week.Houses were demolished on main street and a car place.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Glad to hear Deafblossum is OK. I agree there was very little on the news about some towns. I guess it depends on where they send their crews. I used Google's "News" feature to search. Here's what comes up when I put in "mountain view tornado". I think it's sort of in order by date with the most recent news first.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google - Mountain View Tornado

• deafblossom
    16 years ago

Hey Christie! Yes.. you are correct that I live in MTV! I got a surprised email from Vicki, and nice thoughtful about us. Yes.. It was pretty bad down in HWY 14 East, where the MTV hosptial, car/truck sales, other building, and few houses are destoryed and some home/trailer home were wipped off! That night, our wonderful neighbor called and informed my husband that the tornado is on the way to here MTV from Fox, so we went over their shelter for an hour. The neigbor had a "HAM" club radio, weather radio, and other c.b radio? which was so helpful communicate. Of course..I cannot hear it, but my hearing husband was telling me in sign language what they heard from radios. Boy.. we were so scared! They could hear the nosie outside where tornado hit about one or two miles from our house. Next day, I walked outside in our yard and found 2x4 white metal, some shingles, and woods from other house. The power went out for seven days. You know..it was so sad to know one lady were killed and others people lost their homes too. I learned what happened the lady who killed in tornado that she was trying to run off her trailer home and drove to her boy friend's house, but the tornado catched her. My deaf girl friend Wanda who lives in Rushing. The tornado ripped off her woods, top of roof, and the side of the house. She was at home that night! She was scared! Then her hearing daughter heard the tornado was hit near her home, so her husband and daughter drove and found her in the house, because the trees was knocked down and Wanda could not able to get out of the house. They cut the trees and finally got her out of the house. They took her to the hopstail because her foot was cut pretty bad from break glasses where the kitchen window was broken and had a high blood pressure. Her van was burned down from lighting. They did not see the fire when the daughter got Wanda to go to the hopstail. It must be happened after tornado hit. Wanda is doing fine. It was soo freaky!

Last Friday, I finally got work with my seeds includes tomatoes, eggplants, pepper bells, herbs, and annual/perennial flowers. I have 107 cells and sitting on heating mat. This morning, most seeds are sprouted and transfered them underlight now. I am hardly wait for spring and summer! I know you too!! smile..
    Have a good day!!
    Kat

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kat, it is good you all are safe. It just gives me chills to hear of all the disaster. It has been so close to us, even tore holes in the screens when the trees were blown onto the house. We checked out the neighbor's house that was damaged yesterday. It is directly north of our farm. It is still sitting there. I think it is twisted on the foundation and they are wrangling with the insurance. Looks to be a total lost. This was all from the previous tornado that passed through our area.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022