Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes--and Onions?

Posted by ceresone missouri ozarks (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 8:50

When do YOU plant your potatoes--and your onions?
And when do you start tomatoes? cole crops?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes--and Onions?

Ceresone, Here in z6b in eastern Ok, my grandfather always said St Pat's day was the time to plant potatoes. Onions go in the same time. I start broccoli and tomatoes the first of March on the hot bench on the glassed porch, and plant both in the garden the last average frost date, April 15. Could start tomatoes earlier and think I will start a few earlier this year, but my plant bench is pretty full of sugar snap peas starting Feb 15 and going in the garden Mar 1.

o

I'm always afraid to depend on a frost date, myself. I think thats about our last offical date too, but I can depend on a frost about May 10. When I wait--it dosent frost--if I plant early, it will frost.
I'm trying to decide if I want to take a gamble, and start my plants. Then, too, I have onions coming...

o

St. Pat's day was traditional in Christian Co., Mo. where my grandparents lived, but grandma always just planted her garden all but tomatoes and peppers on Election Day in April.
I think April is plenty early. The potatoes will come back from a pretty hard frost and still produce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here