Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonlight74

Great tip from the lawn and garden show.

moonlight74
15 years ago

I was at the University of Missouri Extension booth and was asking a few questions since this is my first garden here. She told me to go to the waste water treatment plant and get soil there...they charge a small fee for it.

I was so happy because I was worried about how much soil was going to cost me!!

Also got some seeds for a shady flower garden and a butterfly garden....and some peas!

Kelli

Comments (8)

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kelli, I went there last year. There was no one around and no way to pay a fee for it. There was just a very large pile of dark brown "stuff." My friend told me they brought No-seeums home from there, but my bags were free from anything like that. There is also a woodchip pile at the Joplin Recycling Center. Be sure to check their hours -- not open on Mondays.
    Sunny

• moonlight74
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmm...thanks Sunny! I'll call ahead and see about that.

Does anyone know of any other place to get good soil for a good price?

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Kelli - That's an easy trip for you since you're in Republic. As you drive towards Sprinfield, you would turn right on Farm Road 115 and I think there are signs pointing along the way. (I hope I got the farm road number right)

I've gotten compost from them a few times and liked their coffee compost the best. I was really disappointed to find out they won't have coffee compost anymore. I thought it had a better texture to it than the other.

I don't think they sell "soil", just wood mulch and compost. However, some people plant directly in compost so maybe it's sort of the same thing. ??? Or you could just mix it with your garden soil. If you have your own truck, I think that is the cheapest way to get compost and I haven't heard any complaints about it. They should also have it in bags which is more convient for me (no truck) but also more expensive.

With any compost, or mulch, there could be bits of trash mixed in, so you don't want to be mixing it up with your bare hands just in case. You might find a piece of glass or something.

There were LOTS of people at the Lawn and Garden show on Saturday. I signed up for drawings to win a free sun room, riding mower, and $5000 worth of landscaping at different booths. I'd take any one of those. : )

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

Uh oh. Forgot you were in Republic, Kelly. I visited the Joplin free compost site at Turkey Creek and the Joplin Recycle center for the wood chips.
    Sorry!!
    Sunny

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

moonlight74,

Here is the infomation you need. They've had this available for several years now. You can see real life use of the mulch and compost which comes directly from the Sprigfield Yard Waste Recycling Center at the Master Gardener Demonstration Gardens at Nathanael Greene Park. All the paths and the mulch & compost used in the beds are from the recycling center. There is actually very little misc matter mixed in.

Video Tour of Demonstration Gardens

Landscaping Mulch

Landscaping mulch is made from chipped and ground wood wastes from limbs and brush and can be used on flower beds, shrubs, trees, and pathways.

* Unscreened - $1.00/cu.yd. ($5.00 minimum)
    * Fine textured - $12.00/cu.yd.
    * It's In the Bag! - Fine textured - $2.00/1.5 cu.ft. bag (approx. 40 lb). Bags are available at the YRC and the Lone Pine Recycling Center.

Yardwaste Compost

MO-POST is made from yard wastes, including leaves and grass clippings, which are windrowed and turned regularly to encourage the natural decomposition process. The materials are then screened to uniform size and texture.

* $15.00/cu.yd.
    * It's In the Bag! - $3.00/1 cu.ft. bag (approx. 40 lb). Bags are available at the YRC and the Lone Pine Recycling Center.

Benefits of Compost
    Compost is a valuable resource. It adds organic matter and helpful microorganisms to your soil. Compost develops good soil structure, which is a crucial element for plant growth and health.

* Our compost is rich in organic matter which greatly improves soil structure. Any kind of soil canbenefit from compost. It helps sandy soils retain water and nutrients so plants can absorb them.
    * Compost also helps reduce compaction and improves air and water filtration in clay soils. Havingwell-structured soil will enhance long-term plant growth and health.
    * Beneficial organisms in healthy composts help break down overgrown thatch in grass lawns.

Where and How Can I Use Compost?
    * Vegetable & Flower Gardens: Before planting, till in 1 1/2 inches of compost in the top 4 inches of soil.
    * Landscaping: Before planting, till in 1 1/2 inches compost in the top 4 to 6 inches of soil or mulch surface with 2 inches of compost with existing plants.
    * Trees & Shrubs: Mulch with 1/2 to 1 inch compost at the tree base. Transplant with a mix of 10% to 15% by volume composts and replacement soil. Maintain trees with 1/2 to 1 inch compost along drip line (farthest edge of leaf cover) annually.
    * Turf Establishment:
    - Lawns - Before planting, till in 1 1/2 inches of compost with 3 to 6 inches of soil.
    - Over-seeding - Thoroughly aerate established turn area, spread seed and cover with approximately 1/4 inch of compost.
    - Turf Maintenance - Aerate lawn thoroughly in spring. Top dress lawn in spring and fall with approximately 1/4 inch compost.

One cubic yard will cover:

Area: 12.5' x 12.5' Depth: 2 inches
    Area : 15' x 15' Depth: 1.5 inches
    Area : 18' x 18' Depth: 1 inch
    Area: 25' x 25' Depth: 1/2 inch

The Yardwaste Recycling Center is located near the Southwest Wastewater Treatment Plant. The services of the Yardwaste Recycling Center are available for residents of Springfield and Greene County. Products are for sale to the general public, regardless of residency.

Directions:
    West on Sunshine (Hwy. 60). Turn left (South) onto Farm Road 115. Turn left (East) onto Farm Road 164. Follow the signs to Yardwaste Recycling Center.
    Or:
    Go west on James River Freeway to Sunshine (Hwy. 60). Turn right (East) onto Sunshine (Hwy 60). Turn right (South) onto Farm Road 115. Turn left onto Farm Road 164. Follow the signs to Yardwaste Recycling Center.

Hours:

Open Tuesday through Saturday throughout the year:
    Summer Hours - 8am-6pm (loading until 5 pm)
    Winter Hours - 8am-5pm (loading until 4pm)

Open Sunday during peak season
    1 pm - 5 pm (Call Recycling Hotline (864-1904) to confirm

Closed for the following holidays:
    New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday,
    Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day, Easter Sunday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Springfield Yard Waste Recycling Center

• moonlight74
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow...thank you so much for posting that!

Ok...stupid question alert!!!!

Can I use their compost for my entire garden, or should I mix it with plain soil??? This was the place the lady from the university extension told me to get my "soil"

Thanks again!

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

You're welcome moonlight74. I'd like to think she said to mix it with your soil. They don't sell soil there at all.

Basically, for one square foot of soil, you can replace "up to" 1/3 of that with compost, to give you an idea of ratio. That's the most you would want to incorporate. It will be used up by the end of the season so you need to replenish regularly. Hop over to the Soil, Compost, Mulch Forum here at Gardenweb - every gardener should have their own compost pile.

But before you add compost, you should amend your soil so you can make sure it is in balance. The $10 cost is less than you'd pay for a good pH home test kit from a garden center. Other states charge over $60 for the same lab test. So you should take advantage of this service which will tell you exactly what you need to add to our soil to amend it so it is ready to provide a nourishing home for your future plants.

Regular soil fertility test includes:

* pHs
    * Neutralizable acidity
    * Organic matter
    * Bray-1 phosphorus
    * Potassium
    * Calcium
    * Magnesium
    * Cation exchange capacity
    * Fertilizer recommendations

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Test Brochure

• moonlight74
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Violet! I actually already got a brochure from the university extension about soil testing. I'm definitely going to do it!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm