Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerblue_gw

Real garden centers in Spfd?

GingerBlue
19 years ago

I'm in Springfield and am looking for a REAL garden center and/or nursery. I mean one that isn't a seasonal greenhouse in a parking lot or one that's really just a florist. Anyplace that I can get stuff I can't get at Lowe's? Or is Lowe's as good as it gets here?

Comments (15)

• noxtra
    19 years ago

I do not think there is an all inclusive garden center in Springfield. What were you looking for that you cannot find at Lowe's Garden Center? Almost everything garden related is available at one place or another in the greater metropolitan area!

Lee

• posy_pet
    19 years ago

Wickman Gardens is a neat place to go too.I have not been terribly happy with their perennials but they have seeds and supplies.Springfield seed and nursery are reliable.I have gotten good plants at Lowes.Wal Mart does stand behind their plants if you keep your receipt.I have had stuff die but they will make it good.I have had a couple of bad experieces with K-Mart but they still have Marthas seeds and there are always some that you can't find except by ordering.There are some fun greenhouses on the outskirts of Springfield-Hilltop at Ash Grove,Ackermans and Marshfield greenhouse at Marshfield-It's fun to find the different ones.Bear creek nursery was at the Garden show afew years ago and I got to go to their greenhouse near Eureka Springs I think (a few years ago)They had unusual plants.It makes a fun day trip to find a new one.WHAT were you looking for?We'll try to tell you where we saw it.Posy Pet

• jayreynolds
    19 years ago

Check out Ackermann's acre. I met and traded with Bill & Cathy Ackermann last spring and they have a superior line of annuals, perennials and vegetable transplants. Their flyer from last year says they should open in March but call to confirm.
    9am-6pm mon-sat closed on Sunday, 3442 State Hwy OO between Hwy B and Hwy 38. They deserve your business.
    Call (417) 859-4539

Here is a link that might be useful: Ackermann's acre

• GingerBlue
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well I'm not really looking for anything specific...yet...but I want some of the more unusual shrubs and perennials. I've had very good luck at Lowe's but they only have the "usuals". I will soon be looking for unique coleus, nice hosta (beyond S&S and Frances Williams), and maybe some perilla, some salvias, different clematis, etc. Mostly I want to find someplace where they are knowledgeable and I can go to dream and plan and buy. This time of year the juices start flowing!

Thanks for the tips on Ackermann's and Hilltop. I'll have to go check them out.

I used to live here many years ago (and have recently returned) and there was an orchid greenhouse/nursery somewhere in the south of town. Is it still there?

• posy_pet
    19 years ago

Would that be Murphys water gardens that had the orchids?The master Gardener plant sale had perilla magilla last year but they wanted as much as White Flower farm did.I have the purple perilla and have lots of seed from 2003.It is probably still good.You can e-mail me your name and address and I will send you some if you want.The other Garden Show will be in March.Posy Pet

• Marty_Maraschino
    19 years ago

I like poking around at Summerfield's on East Grand from time to time. They seem to carry a little bit of everything and quite a few herbs.

• him8nc
    18 years ago

Summerfield's went downhill a few years ago. Now it looks like it's been sold and there are renovations going on. The greenhouses were torn down. A few buildings remain. Not sure what's going on.

Anyone know anything about the history of the place?

I remember going there with my parents when I was tiny. Would love to find out about the history though. Who used to own it, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn Greetings

• helenh
    18 years ago

Thanks for the directions to Ackermann's. I played with the Google map and printed directions. That is what I need when we go for drives. My friend will go to nurseries. He takes a nap while I look. I went on several wild goose chases to find a hosta place mentioned on this forum.

• ekoboat
    18 years ago

Ginger - there is a woman that sells all sorts of hosta out of her home on the Southwest side of Springfield. I don't know her name but she lives at Golden (Farm Rd 135) and West Marty. She sticks a sign up every spring. There is also a hosta place north of Springfield on Hwy 13, its a few miles past the town of Halfway. I think all they sell are hosta and iris, don't know name of it either. Good luck!

• gldno1
    18 years ago

ekoboat, if you are talking about Karen's Iris and Hosta, I was just by there last week and there is a "for Sale" sign up. I just discovered it last year and bought several iris. They are overgrown terribly with weeds and the lady who dug them (dont' know which one she is, I think it is another name and Karen's Iris.) told me she was just getting too old to keep it up. I am going to check back this spring and see if I can still buy iris. I can't imagine trying to clean up all the weeds, but they had tons of iris left in there.

• Susy
    18 years ago

There used to be a couple of places out of Spfd. heading for Nixa. Can't come up with the names--Was one Carson's? I used to enjoy going there but haven't been for a year or so.

• noxtra
    18 years ago

I think I have posted the link before but it is edited by a fellow who writes for some of the local publications. It is a wealth of information for the Springfield area.

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozarks Gardens Page

• Marty_Maraschino
    18 years ago

Do you think Karen&Nancy's Iris and Hosta are gone? I picked up there card at the fair grounds lawn and garden show last year and have been meaning to go. Their card says Iris, Hosta, Daylillies, Peonies & PompasGrass.They were selling daylilly starts really cheap but I got there late in the day and they were almost gone. If someone wants to call you could let us all know, their # is 1-(417) 742-0343 or I will take a look when I drive by. I'll be going to KC on the 29th.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

helenh,

What hosta place was it? There are a couple of places for hostas:

Posted by MOimpatientgirl: "I second the vote for hostas, also possibly begonias. Believe it or not, mine always come back, yes the little cheap 6-packs from WM, as long as they are semi-protected by even just leaves from last fall.

If you REALLY want motivation, you should visit the Garden of Dreams (AKA Honeybranch Cave), out east of Sparta. It's off of Hwy 14 right before the Christian/Douglas county line. There's a sign. Go down the gravel road a mile or two. They sell hostas and other stuff. But they have a really large area (several acres) that is terraced with every kind of hosta imaginable, plus lots of other stuff thrown in. Definitely made a hosta-believer out of me! I think they're pretty much always open, even though it might look like they aren't."

Garden of Dreams at Honeybranch Cave, on Missouri 14 near Elkhead (22 miles east of Ozark).
    Sparta, MO 65753
    Telephone: 417.683.3733
    Owners Bill and Judy Roston

Also Hilltop Gardens
    http://www.hilltop-gardens.com

• agmoose
    17 years ago

Lots of plantsellers are listed on www.ozarksgardens.com, a website about gardening in the Ozarks, along with lots of pictures of plants and people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozarks Gardens

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm