Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

High winds and rain

jspeachyn5
15 years ago

We are getting high winds and rain here right now.

The wind is blowing so hard it sounds like rocks hitting the windows. Temp dropped 8 degrees in about 10 minutes.

I know I need the rain though. Walked through the yard yesterday and was stirring up dust. Even thought we just had that snow. I think these high wind last few days have added to the dry out.

Had to bring in the trash can was getting windy at 8 a.m. Really glad I did, or would be in next county by now. lol

Bonnie

Comments (10)

• helenh
    15 years ago

Bring on spring. My forecast here looks good. Don't like the wind either but don't want no stinking drought.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rain has moved on.
    Still windy.
    Oh I'm sure we are a long way from spring.
    I always feel like we get the worst of it, in jan/feb. But hey if we don't I won't boo hoo about it. We until we have not had enough snow fall to help build up for the long summer ahead.

Helen have you ever gotten compost or chopped leaves from the city of joplin?
    I was just wondering if it was ok. I mean I don't want to waste time to go get it if it is full of junk and trash.
    I really want some extra this year. Since I'm putting in all these new beds. I would hate to have everything dry out an die come the heat of summer.
    B/c I am going to try to cut down on my watering. I don't want to waste it an what I do have to do I just want it to be very little.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I haven't got any compost there in a while. There is always plastic in it because the organic matter shrinks greatly and the trash doesn't. If I lived closer to it, I would get more of it. I still have more manure to get at a friends place closer to me and there is a huge pile of rotten wood chips at my mothers place. I also have my eye on some waste blocks at a concrete place near here. I called and I can probably get free blocks from their trash pile. I am trying to make a mound where water comes in my yard during floods. It is spring I saw a toad, my bulbs are coming up and the frogs are singing at the pond.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frogs, I wish I could hear them.
    Well maybe I should rephrase that.
    I would not mind hearing a few frogs.
    When we lived on the farm we had one of the large ponds pretty close to the house. Well it would get so loud you honestly felt like you were going to loose your mind. There were so many.
    We finally had some high school boys who went frogging. It was funny at the time. Not many people we had talked to had ever eaten frog legs.
    Me I don't eat meat. But some do like them.
    Any way we had to have them do that for a couple of years to get the population back under control. My picture window would vibrate I kid you not.

If the compost has trash in it I don't think I will go get any. I am wanting this for around all my new plants and such. If I had not already had all that dirt hauled in last fall it might be an option.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

You can pick out the trash and by the time the organic matter is composted anything nasty would have rotted. Some of it is the black plastic bags the leaves came in. I don't object to the plastic. Who knows what some of the bagged compost has in it.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Oklahoma forum is posting about tornadoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: weather

• helenh
    15 years ago

Bonnie I got some Joplin city compost and I see what you mean. I had forgotten how much trash is in it. I think I will use it for ornamentals only and not in my vegetable garden. I wish I had not seen the show about lead because I started wondering what bad stuff could be in it. I scared myself in another way. My tires were under inflated and I kept shoveling thinking I may not be back again soon. When I got to Wal-Mart on W 7th I bought some $2 discounted water logged bark fines to go on top so the compost wouldn't blow off. The bags were so heavy the boy could hardly lift them - I got 8. When I bought them I did not realize they were full of water.My truck was riding low. I had to unload the soil conditioner at my friend't house. I'll bet it was 400 pounds.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL LOL
    OH helen you cracked me up tonight.
    I was tired an getting ready to call it a day and read this an could not help laughing.
    Girl I think you need a bigger truck : )
    I'm just so worried about the trash in it b/c you have no idea what it is or where it has been. I don't want to put it over tomatoes or what ever.
    I also have a VERY bad habbit of just diving in w/bare hands if I have layed my glove someplace. I don't want to gett cut or something.
    I know I should not do that but it is anouther hard habit to break.
    I guess I will just have to find some old straw bales someplace.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

The rotten wood chips at my mother's farm are the color of wet peat moss and crumbly. The city compost does not look at all good in comparison. I have already unloaded it in the dark because with my bad luck I thought it might freeze in my truck. I put it by the fence where I have been piling leaves. I may plant ornamental grass in it.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought about using some of it to put around some things I wanted to smother. I have a vine I like but if not kept in check around the base it will take over.
    The freezing in the truck would have been my luck : )
    Bonnie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting