Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet_z6

Springfield Butterfly House & Butterfly Festival - July 2009

Violet_Z6
15 years ago

Springfield Butterfly House & Butterfly Festival - July 2009

The Friends of the Garden, the volunteer group working hard to get the Botanical Center built, are also busy building a Butterfly House in Springfield's Close Memorial Park (photos). Set to be open May 15-July 1, the House will exhibit all of Missouri's native butterflies, the plants they eat, and even a caterpillar petting area.

A Butterfly Festival at the site Saturday & Sunday, July 10-12, 2009 will feature classes in identifying butterflies, butterfly gardening, a butterfly release, a photo contest, a plant sale, and more.

Photo of Missouri's native Buckeye butterfly:

Comments (8)

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Did they do that last year too? If they did, I missed it.

I'm glad you're posting all of this Violet. I forget to look sometimes and miss stuff. I need to get out my calendar and put it on there so I'll remember.

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, it's new this year!

Should be an excellent exhibit.
    They're putting a lot of work into it, and schools will be allowed to schedule field trips.

I'll try to keep up with posting gardening events here. I know there are some local gardening sites that post events but I have yet to see one that is comprehensive that covers all related organizations. I always wonder how people find out about things like that.

If I find time, I'd like to make another comprehensive calendar like the one I made available here years ago.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I love to go to Close Garden. I will be looking forward to the butterfly house. I am almost more interested in the caterpillars and what to feed them than the butterflies themselves. I watch them on milkweed and fennel.

• Rick
    15 years ago

With the recent publicity that Close Memorial got at the News-Leader, I would be concerned for the butterfly house! This is a really neat attraction, and something that Springfield could use, but concerned about having it at the unsecured Close Memorial. It is a shame and very poor statement about our society pointed out in the article.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Welcome Rabone! Glad you joined in. I'll put a link to the article below for others. Hope they are able to catch the people who did it. What a shame. It just ruins it for everyone. So much volunteer work and donations have gone into that park, they've been able to keep it free for the public, but when things like that happen, the expences skyrocket.

Thank you Violet. A calendar would be nice. You said, I always wonder how people find out about things like that.
    Sometimes I find out when they have a story about it in the paper after it's already over. lol
    We need to get some Arkansas garden events on there too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vandals leave behind a feeling of betrayal

• helenh
    15 years ago

That is a shame. Every time I go there I see a variety of people enjoying the park; it is a shame that a few can ruin it.

• noxtra
    15 years ago

If we let fear of vandalism deter us from building anything nothing would be built. Yes there has been vandalism but those issues are being addressed. The Botanical Building will soon be a reality so along with it's construction will come extra security for the park as a whole.

We have lots of volunteer opportunities to help with the house and festival. This is going to be great fun and a wonderful learning experience!!!!!

There will be another planning meeting for the Butterfly Festival Wednesday, March 4, at 5:30 p.m. in the barn classroom at Rutledge-Wilson Farm Community Park. Directions are below.

To Rutledge-Wilson Farm Community Park:

From Sunshine:
    Â West on Sunshine
    Â Right onto West Bypass
    Â Take first left- Farm Road 146
    Â RW Farm is approximately 1 mile down FR 146 on the right hand side. We will be meeting in the classroom in the big red barn. You may follow the parking lot all the way around behind the barn to park near the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to Rutledge-Wilson

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

New to the gardens this year, the butterfly house lets you get an up-close look at native butterflies as they transform from egg to caterpillar, from caterpillar to chrysalis, and finally from chrysalis to butterfly! Interpretive guides will help you find critters and answer your butterfly questions.

In the Butterfly Garden
    Explore a garden of host plants for caterpillars and butterflies! This garden showcases plants to attract an amazing variety of butterflies to the home landscape. Chase a butterfly or two and pick up some ideas to try at home!

In the Park
    Take a tour of the botanical gardens!
    Get friendly with live animals at the Caterpillar Petting Zoo!
    Make your own Butterfly & Caterpillar Crafts!
    Learn about Host Plants and Butterfly Gardening!
    Shop for Butterfly Host Plants and Garden Accents!

Saturday, July 11
    Festival Activities and Butterfly House open 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

9:00 Class: Butterfly Photography Learn tips and tricks for capturing butterflies on film and practice new techniques in the gardens. **Class size is limited; to register for this class call 823-9966 or e-mail naturelens @ aol.com
    10:00 Class: Butterfly Identification Get to know your backyard visitors.
    11:30 Class: Gardening for Butterflies Learn to attract butterflies to your home landscape.
    12:00 Butterfly & Caterpillar Costume Contests Dress for success in your best homemade butterfly or caterpillar costume and meet around the statue in the butterfly garden.

Sunday, July 12
    Festival Activities and Butterfly House open 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

12:00 Butterfly & Caterpillar Costume Contests Dress for success in your best homemade butterfly or caterpillar costume and meet around the statue in the butterfly garden.
    1:00 Class: Butterfly Identification Get to know your backyard visitors.
    2:30 Class: Gardening for Butterflies Learn to attract butterflies to your home landscape.