Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmogardens

Your best find?

swmogardens
14 years ago

My wife and I sell real estate. One day we were at a home and I noticed a big pile of driftwood on the back deck. I said to the seller "that wood would look great in my garden". She said "we use it in our taxidermy business for mounts, you can't have that wood. But, I have some out back you can have". We went to her shop out back and there was a huge pile of "junk" driftwood. She let me have it all! It filled my trunk, about 50 pieces. Truly one of my greatest gardening finds.

Comments (9)

• helenh
    14 years ago

I drag in stumps with the roots. I turn them upside down with the roots showing. At my mother's farm the creek washes the soil off so I have several. The big ones are too heavy. Other people have no interest in such things; that is why I like the Garden Web.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I had a few but they have rotted into the soil. I guess I should 'graze' the farm and see what turns up.....but I will wait for warmer weather.

When our son and his family were down helping us clean up the yard after the ice storm, our dil started to drag a piece of dead wood from a flower bed and I heard our son say "I think that is some of Mom's garden decor". She put it back.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Lucky find! Do you ever make landscaping improvements on the real estate that you sell?

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

There was a huge uprooted stump with roots all bare on our proberty when we moved on 27 years ago and it is still here in the center of a flower bed that has yucca, daffs daylilies, iris naked ladies and liriope. Have had others that have almost rotted away over the years but that one has not changed.

But our best find ever was a mountain of well rotted sawdust at an abandoned sawmill a couple miles from our house. We got permission to mine it and over 15 years brought in nearly a hundred loads. Then the place sold and I don't know what happened to the sawdust but one day it was all gone and a double wide trailer sat in its place. SOB.

• swmogardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christie, we always give advice to our customers to improve the front yard to make a great first impression. Another "find" I made was a big box of about 50 of those old green glass electrical capacitor things. They were in someones trash, and I was on my morning walk, I went back and grabbed them. I haven't figured out what to do with them yet, any suggestions?

• helenh
    14 years ago

I am saving blue wine bottles from the recycling place. I plant to make a bottle tree but I am not very artistic. I usually go for natural things like rocks and stumps. If it looks too tacky I haven't lost anything.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Hmmmm -- green glass -- I think I'd make a "glass fountain" or at least give it a try. You could epoxy them together maybe 3 layers deep around a pipe which brings the water to the top to cascade down the glass. I've thought about doing it with flat rocks, but I think glass would be lovely. You'd need a pump, a pipe, and a collector at the base for the cascading water. Put in sun and I think it would be nice, if not unusual - I sure miss my honey. I could tell him this stuff and he could Make It Happen. If you can, be sure to post a photo, okay?
    Sunny

• sweetwm007
    14 years ago

my best find? my wife! i have gardened for over 40 yrs and she has brought a totally new thinking process to gardening. i won't go into details.

get r done

william

• gldno1
    14 years ago

William, we need to send her your post as a secret
    valentine! What a sweet thing to say.