Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderbarb

CA transplant asking questions

borderbarb
12 years ago

Hey guys ... this is the gal from Escondido transplanted [almost] to Rogers Ark .... I'm still in Esc, but my kids are in Rogers ..... and need info about when is the right time to trim trees. There are a few trees [Red Oak ?] with limbs over their house, which need to be cut back. Moneywise, it would be better if they could wait 'till later, but wonder if that is a dormant season 'thing'. Anyone know? Thanks in advance. I will be moving with them in the spring ....and after 75 years in CA, am soooooo ready to leave this state!

Just thought of another question ... your favorite all-purpose gardening book. I'm greener than green for Ozark gardening.

Comments (14)

• helenh
    12 years ago

It all depends on how big these limbs are and if they are dead or alive. We have thunderstorms in spring and sometimes ice storms this time of year. Are the limbs a danger to the house or small ones that can wait until later? I had limbs over my house for years and got away with it. In the ice storms I had an elm limb kind of laying on the roof twice. It didn't break or cause any damage. I finally took care of the problem. Red Oak should not need to be trimmed unless there is a danger to the house and people in it. Those concerns trump seasonal issues.

I used to pore through gardening books and magazines; now I do my looking on line.

• borderbarb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Helen ....I'll pass that on to the kids. Glad to know the trees don't require a lot of upkeep.

Re: searching online .... I've used my Sunset Western Garden Book for getting ideas, as well as how-to. Thought there might be something similar for Ozark gardening ... so much to learn.... but looking foreward.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Welcome!
    Oaks can get a disease, I think called Oak Wilt so I believe you're supposed to prune them when they're dormant to lessen the chances of that. It's expensive to hire someone to remove a dead tree that's hanging precariously over your house so it might be worth the expense to pay an arborist to come out and look at them before you do a lot of pruning.
    As for books, I feel like the ones written for the MIDWEST have northerners in mind. They focus on plants that are only hardy to zone 5. Books written for SOUTHERN gardeners will contain a lot of plants that aren't quite hardy enough for the Ozarks. However, you can get a lot of useful information out of both.
    Are you wanting a book about flower gardening or veggie gardening?
    The University of Arkansas website will have a lot of factsheets you can look at online about both.

I'm like Helen. I hardly ever use books now because it's so nice to be able to use the search feature online and find exactly what I'm looking for. I think I've gotten lazy or impatient or something.

Good luck with your move to the Ozarks. : )
    Are you bringing plants with you from California?

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Arkansas factsheets on veggies

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Here's a link for a list of factsheets on home landscaping. I clicked on a couple and it went to another list so there's tons to read. Hope you can find some helpful stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Arkansas factsheets on landscape plants

• borderbarb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks .... re: type of plantings ... flowers/shrubs plus some vegetables. At my age, probably not a whole lot of either. I look foreward to planting fruit trees that require more chill hours than we have here. Most especially look foreward to bulb plantings ...

• helenh
    12 years ago

Barb I asked Nick Mitchell of Neosho Tree Service about red oaks. He is taking a class for certification as an arbotist. I did not know about oak wilt although my hills are covered in oak trees. He said they discussed in his class that pruning oaks after March could kill the tree. So if the trees have to be trimmed someone needs to know what he is doing. I guess this disease in a big problem in some areas and kills the tree quickly. If your kids have mentioned a seasonal issue they are probably already familiar with the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: oak wilt

• borderbarb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helen ... thanks again ... I just sent the link to my kids.[dtr & SIL] They are taking posseion of a home they recently bought [legacy from Grandma] and were worried about branches over the house. They will stay for awhile and then come and get me in the Spring.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Hi, Barb -- and welcome! I think you're going to enjoy Rogers -- nice people and four seasons to garden in. Plus lots and lots of trees with leaves with which to mulch your beds.

I think I remember you from the Soil Forum (?) This part of the country can grow gorgeous bulbs, dahlias, cannas. Be sure to pay attention to when peach trees bloom, as the variety I have blooms early and gets nipped most springs. I'm dreaming of a gardenia hedge, like you have in CA, but it might not be possible, even if our zone has changed. Going to give it a try, though.

Keep in touch. This forum really wakes up when we can actually plant something outside, and then it's a learning experience for me.
    Sunny

• borderbarb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunny .... Thanks for the welcome. We already feel at home in Rogers [SIL spent some of childhood there and has many relatives] and people are so very friendly. Yes, I've often contributed to the Soil Forum. Some health reversals have me mostly a garden watcher instead of worker ... but hey, I was born to supervise other people's work [LOL] and am blessed with children who are willing workers.

Re: plentiful supply of leaves for mulch/compost.... my son says he was told to burn leaves instead of composting, because of snakes using as nesting place. Is this true?

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Barb, unfortunately in that part of the country, the leaves/snake info is probably true. My neighbors came from Arkansas and couldn't believe I picked up my leaves and bagged them for summer. They still burn every single leaf! He said it was because mice hide in the leaves and that brings snakes. Cats -- cats are the answer!

Being a Supervisor is about as good as it gets, especially if your crew is willing. Make lots of pie for them.
    Sunny

• helenh
    12 years ago

I think the burning is a tradition here. When I first moved here fires came through the hills every winter because that is what people did. They said it killed ticks. Those people have died or moved away and it doesn't happen so much now. I don't think you can fight that idea. I would like to have all those leaves they are burning here but it is a little far to Rogers. Rogers is a progressive place; I'll bet there is city compost but don't know. I often encounter people who can't imagine why I would want their bagged leaves.

• helenh
    12 years ago

They do have city compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: screened compost is available

• borderbarb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mega thanks for link to compost center. With their Grandfather and Mother both staunch composters, I imagine that once the kids [in 40's & 50's] get settled, they will revert to the family pattern. "Waste Not Want Not"

Marva e-mailed a picture of their snow-covered deck ... so I reckon you folks are getting a bit of the white stuff. We'll settle for rain here, and glad to have it.[will have to supplement with sprinkler] Do so look foreward to living with springs and creeks and lakes on every side.

• pauln
    12 years ago

Trim/remove the oak only if the limbs are rubbing the roof, the tree is in decline and has a potential to fall, or the tree is too close to the house. Dormant season is best. Contact a company that has liability insurance in case they drop the tree on your house, your neighbor's house, or someone gets hurt in the process. They should have no problem furnishing you with proof of insurance if they want to work for you. NEVER "TOP" A TREE! Some old-school people think this is the thing to do. You end up with a misshapen tree that is susceptable to disease, insect, or weather injury. If any tree service recommends this, send them away immediately!