Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderbarb

Daffodil small [very] talk

borderbarb
12 years ago

Hey guys .... one of the things I dream of, when I finally land in Rogers ... is lots of daffodils .... have no luck with them here in arid CA.

Thought this cartoon might tickle you .... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffy toon

Comments (6)

• helenh
    12 years ago

I hope you plant lots of them. You have to put them where you don't mow. Mine grow in the weeds. I like the miniature ones best. These are from a couple of years ago.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

I like your cartoon, Helen --

Every year (so far) Wal-Mart has had lots of miniature daffs and tulips for $1.25/small pot. I've bought them and they come up cheerfully every year. These aren't just the yellows, but bi-color as well. This year I'm buying the tulips, as I just don't have any tulips here. Watch for them in the garden shop about the time the early vegs are for sale--
    Sunny
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Cute cartoon Barb. : )
    I like daffodils too. They're easiest to find in the fall. I bought a big bag of 'Ice Follies' bulbs one year at Lowe's pretty cheap and planted them in my shade garden. They're lighter, sort of creamy yellow and white, and show up good there.
    We also have a long row of mostly bright yellow daffodils that runs along our driveway. The first few times we mow in the spring, we leave them and then mow them down when the tips of the leaves start to brown a little or sooner if I get tired of mowing around them. They're tough and will survive in cattle pastures long after a home has disappeared, sometimes the only clue that a home used to be there. Nothing eats the bulbs, unlike tulips. My hubby bought me a pot of blooming tulips for Valentines Day this year. I need to figure out how to protect the bulbs when I plant them out, maybe some hardware cloth around them or something.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

Helen, I love that naturalistic planting of the daffs. I have some ones this year that I am anxiously waiting to see.
    So far, two small clumps of early ones are blooming.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I don't seem to have as many coming up this year. Last year was a killer. That picture was from the end of March so maybe they will come up. Last year I had bitter cold in Feb., a flood with water everywhere and running out of the hills at the end of May and extreme heat and drought all summer with a pretty dry winter. I know you had the same weather. It will be interesting to see what comes back this year.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Today at 15th St Wal-Mart I bought miniature daffodils, tulips, and crocus. The daffs were pink & white (new to me) The small pots (3")were 76 cents and the larger were $1.58. Up from a dollar in 2010. Inflation again. Sigh.

The display was located outside in the annex of the garden shop.
    Sunny