Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Native Wildflowers

jspeachyn5
16 years ago

Hello all. Just wondering, has any one here tried using native wildflowers? I was thinking of trying some on a steep hill I have. Very hard to mow and has lot of sun. Maybe rock edging and such? Not sure just a thought I have buzzing round. Was thinking maybe not having to replant every year that way and have a move free flowing area. Thoughts?? So much warmer here today. I'm going to check on my bulb's today. As some of you had some starting to come up.

Bonnie

Comments (8)

• gldno1
    16 years ago

I think that is a great idea. I have oenothera speciosa in my front ditch and I love it. It self seeds and spreads pretty nicely. I now have some across the road!
    I am doing a new border between the house and the road and will try to use mostly Missouri natives. They should do better I would think.

Here are some websites that might help:
    http://www.missouriplants.com/index.html
    http://www.grownative.org/

Good luck.

• mulberryknob
    16 years ago

Years ago, I planted seeds of purple coneflower (Echinacea), black eyed Susan (Rudbeckia), and some kind of white daisy in a wild area and have been enjoying them ever since, both where I first put them and where they have seeded themselves. As a bonus, the goldfinches love the seeds. These are perrenials. I also have lots of self seeding annuals that could be naturalized in a sunny area. Poppies and larkspur bloom together in the spring, cleome, zinnias, petunias, and celosia come along later. And of course, you could put in daffodils and grape hyacinths for really early color--and scatter in some surprise lilies and orange tiger lilies for later. I also have old fashioned garden plox naturalized, as well as bouncing bette (soapwort). Other flowers that you see naturalized include chicory, Queen Ann's Lace, coreopsis, and for the fall, goldenrod. Another native that blooms early is the native woodland phlox. The native tradescantia blooms early too but I would hesitate to put it in on purpose as it can become a pest it seeds so prolifically.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

A great idea. i have most of the above plus shasta daisy,sweet clover,yarrow.Violets in the shade and aquilla, dwarf iris,false solamans seal. also have chamamile and catnip and motherwort that went wild.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Bonnie, I can send you some seeds late this summer.
    vickie

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow that would be so great. I just hat the idea of having to mow that really big hill every summer. I use a rider but I feel like I'm going over sometimes. and yes I go up/down and side/side in all the right areas. I'm a farm girl been an tractors all my life. Now I just use a "mini" lol. Have been going over the mo. con depart guide online and really like what I see. Thanks. all the seed I saved this year is annuals and I don't want to have to reseed this area every year. also has any one tries buffalo grass. I have a spot that is by a drainage ditch and it burns the fescue up. way too dry and hot there?
    Bonnie Thanks again.

• wezey
    16 years ago

I really like native verbena. It blooms most of the summer and stays pretty until frost at least. Keeps down the weeds, too. It is a native groundcover.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks everyone great ideas.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Bonnie if you're close to Springfield, there's a Native Plant Symposium every spring at the Springfield Nature Center that you might want to go to. There will be lectures and info and native plants and seeds for sale. I looked but didn't see it on their calendar yet. There's always LOTS of people. I keep thinking they will move it someplace where there's more room.